Anyone ever converted their halogen headlamps to LED? (1 Viewer)

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I’m thinking of up rating the headlamps on Betsy as hers are a bit dim sat night. I want to fit LEDs if possible

Has anyone done this on their A class?

Betsy is a 2016 7400 plus on the Merc chassis.

Pjdow

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
I’m a newbie
You run the risk of a MOT failure

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
As with any modification to the vehicle, or the use of any pattern part, as long as the replacements meet the minimum standards for the vehicle it would be perfectly lawful.

The standards for headlights aren't difficult to meet, in terms of bightness, colour and correct alignment.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
It is a mod I don’t understand.
Who decided what we have been happy with is not bright enough?
It could just be “keeping up-ism” 🤷‍♂️

Even cyclists get lights as bright as the sun but don’t point them down to the road. 🤔

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Search the forum been a few threads about changing to LED headlights

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
We changed ours but don't have a mot for another 2 years so will let you know the outcome then.
Much better whiter light than normal halogen this thread ran for a while.

Thread 'LED H7 headlight bulbs upgrade - impressed (so far)' https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/led-h7-headlight-bulbs-upgrade-impressed-so-far.231788/

Lenny HB changed to LEDS and passed a mot you take your chances I suppose easily put back to halogen if needed

OP
OP
OldCodger

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Driving this weekend in the spray it was difficult to see the road. We’ve got used to Xenons and LED lights on our cars and would like the same visibility. A preference

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I changed our Ducato’s bulbs to LED and the MoT tester had me in to show me the reason for the resultant failure. The pattern was all over the place. The replacement bulbs need to be CE marked to be legal and acceptable.

We went for night breaker halogens which have been excellent…and we passed the MoT too…

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
It could just be “keeping up-ism” 🤷‍♂️

Even cyclists get lights as bright as the sun but don’t point them down to the road. 🤔
Just because dome cyclist do it, doesn't mean it's lawful. They don't have MOTs for bikes last time I checked.

Headlights are tested for alignment, to ensure that they do not dazzle or visually irritate oncoming drivers.

The requirement, as far as I recall, is for forward lighting to be white. I believe that the colour used is now specified in degrees kelvin.

Some "boy racer" xenon mods in particular use lights falling into the blue or green spectrum just to appear "cool", causing problems for other oncoming road traffic (eg the colour of light effects the focus of the beams, light dispersal, etc). That could well be a step too far.

Best to ensure CE approval and a known source, as standards are pretty universal.

OP
OP
OldCodger

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
In the above mentioned thread there’s a link to this article

Which clearly says

86EEE3B3-E7E9-421E-9758-254C4661A837.png

But then again they have to look! (Apologies for using the B word)

OP
OP
OldCodger

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
That sort of kills the idea.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I suspect that it's not retrospective, up until Britain exited the EU, anything that was previously acceptable remains so.

Best ask at your MOT testing station then

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
we had a car in for a taxi test that had been purchased and mot,d and passed earlier in the day we failed the dodgy headlamp conversion, beam was all over the place and no defined kick up, being kind, we removed the conversions and replaced with correct bulbs and then passed it

Pjdow

Free Member
Jun 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
I’m a newbie
As with any modification to the vehicle, or the use of any pattern part, as long as the replacements meet the minimum standards for the vehicle it would be perfectly lawful.

The standards for headlights aren't difficult to meet, in terms of bightness, colour and correct alignment.
This is not correct advise

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
I changed our Ducato’s bulbs to LED and the MoT tester had me in to show me the reason for the resultant failure. The pattern was all over the place. The replacement bulbs need to be CE marked to be legal and acceptable.

We went for night breaker halogens which have been excellent…and we passed the MoT too…
My Led replacement bulbs needed to have their beam pattern checked and adjusted per their enclosed instructions?

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
A.B.D. Auto Bulbs Direct. Have used this company for a good few years and have always found the service and website top class.
The website contains most of the info you will need on bulb upgrades,leds etc.
DJT

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
This is not correct advise
Presumably you mean advice, which is neither incorrect nor even given.

As I stated;

"As with any modification to the vehicle, or the use of any pattern part, as long as the replacements meet the minimum standards for the vehicle it would be perfectly lawful"

For information about those current minimum standards, see here; https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/special-notice-01-21-headlamp-conversions

The law has changed, and is subject to further change in line with technology (it was written in 1986): As it is now, vehicles presented with converted halogen headlamp units first used on or after 1 April 1986 (NOT all vehicles) will continue to be failed.

Best bet is to seek advice from the MOT tester concerned

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Upgraded our Ducato standard H7s to Cree flat pattern LED. Before the MOT (its first) I warned the garage that it had LEDs. He shrugged and said, don't worry, we'll put some normal bulbs in as it would fail. Didn't even charge me for the bulbs, but I doubt that they are premium type!

I've put the LEDs back in as they are brighter than the filament bulbs, throw a flat pattern on the road and are adjusted to be non-dazzling for left and right driving.

Daytime running lights are LED as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back