Anyone else had this problem? (1 Viewer)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We've to pick up our new van from N. Wales on Thursday 28th June. The dealership offered to put us on a site nearby for our first night. After much discussion we declined the offer as the logistics of getting to the dealership with everything we need to overnight in our 'van was a bit of a nightmare as my wife doesn't drive. We decided to bring the 'van home and spend the first night on our drive as it's only a little over an hour away, then next day take the 'van back to the dealership if we needed to then continue to a site with full facilities for a night (Friday) then nip over onto Anglesey for a night (Saturday) without hook up just to try it out.:)
The problem that we've had was booking a single night on two sites. I used the enquiry form on their web sites 6 days ago and have heard nothing until tonight. I heard from the Friday one saying they had no vacancies for that date, I don't expect that I will have any luck on the Saturday, if I hear from them at all!
We had emailed rather than call as we'd spent about 5 hours looking through all the books and web sites ie. Camping and Caravan Club, Brit Stops, Ukcampsites, Searchforsites and it was pretty late at night by the time we'd decided where we wanted to go ....... too much choice!
We were hoping to tour with the van mainly (not always) spending single nights on sites then moving on, so I can see this being a recurring problem. Has anyone encountered this problem? Any advice would be great(y) So looking forward to getting our first van and been checking the emails constantly for a reply from the sites, never thought for one second that this would be a problem

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
A lot of sites don't like to cater for the single nights. Greedy in my view, same as demanding you stay the entire time on bank holidays (I'd like to whisper rip off Britain, but the right wing lot would be upset:wink::D:clap2:).

It's why I like to wild camp and use BritStops.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Thanks Mike, we were just buzzing going through all the stuff. Spent the next day at work wishing my day away just to get home and check the emails:LOL: been two years in the planning!

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You said it yourself, there’s a lot of choice, so just persevere with different sites. I have never yet found a problem booking one night at CL’s or CMC sites but often encountered a full site. Often worth telephoning to see if any cancellations.
Brit stops is a good idea and there is a Facebook group Campingpubs which might be worth joining for you if you want to tour in U.K.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
There are many delightful small 5 van sites which are called Certificated Locations (CL's) by the CAMC and Certificated Sites (CS's) by the C&CC. Usually on farms, Nurseries etc. which might be an option as they are often more amenable to overnighters. Phoning is best but you may have to leave a message as most are working farms/nurseries.
It is 'high season' for touring wrinklies now, before school hols begin. ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
many sites have a minimum stay of 2 nights

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
This is precisely the reason we spend all our holidays abroad, trying to book here at short notice is almost impossible, to me the benefit of a m/h is that you are mobile so can move around, we like the aire system in France, just turn up and park, normally at a fraction of the price.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
This is precisely the reason we spend all our holidays abroad, trying to book here at short notice is almost impossible, to me the benefit of a m/h is that you are mobile so can move around, we like the aire system in France, just turn up and park, normally at a fraction of the price.
I was quite surprised by this. I've been using this forum for two years and I've never heard it mentioned before:(

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time

As above, in UK you have to try & book in where & when you want then pay a lot for the privilege, even the 5 van sites are getting pricey.
France here we come (well we’re already here) move when & where you want at a fraction of the cost and most Aires are near a village with a shop of some sort!
It is frustrating tho if you only want a short break & campsites don’t want you!

Upvote 0

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I’ve never had an issue in the last three or so years of owning a Moho... of which more than two of them being full time solo. However, I am flexible and also realise some sites do require a longer stay at certain times - Bank Hols and or Fri to Sun in season.... and some bigger “family type” site will not allow “singles”..

But on the other side - lots offer mid week disccounts etc... Mon to Thurs...

My usual routine is to call said campsite/s ... in whatever area I’m in... I usually call mid afternoon on day I want to arrive....

I have always managed to get in somewhere for a night... even if my first choice has been either full or no answer on phone.

On another tale... when I (we) first bought the Moho (April 15) We toured the UK... stopping one-night only in most places then moving on... except for - say Edinburgh - where we did two nights - so’s we could visit the City...

Or on a tour of the Sth.. we stopped in Totnes for longer - to meet relatives but the rest of the south was single nights..

All the above being a mix of sites from Full to CC,CL, Britstop and private.

There has been only one occasion where the site (CL or CC) owner charged me a premium for one night ... but that was back in the day just after I became a single full-timer.. and have never used the site since..

John

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Why not try a pub stop ..

We are having the same problem trying to find a CL on way to Manchester from Tunnel. Only need a one night stop but it’s a Sunday. Pubs no longer seem to do food Sunday Night yet Frankie and Bennies can be packed. Found a couple of CL’s but want 2 nights minimum. We have also found that they expect you to pay 50% at time of booking. They really don’t have much of a clue how MH’s work. Stop a night and move on. French have it sorted.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Just had similar in NI. Checked online 2 nights minimum then phoned and told yeh we have a space for 1 night but that was on the day not prebooking.

Upvote 0

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
The C&CC online booking system often prevents booking a single night on their sites, but I have never had a problem booking a single night over the phone or just turning up at the site, but we mostly tend to use club sites out of season.

I did try to book three nights over a four night period at a C&CC site on a bank holiday weekend last year, because we wanted to stay the first, second and fourth nights, but already had plans to be elsewhere on the third night. I could only book the first two nights in advance, but spoke to the warden on arrival and he slotted us in on the last night no problem, ,although according to the online booking system the site was fully booked.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Even CL's can be fussy, the last time I tried to book for one night I was told we only take weekly bookings, it was quite local to me as well.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We decided to bring the 'van home and spend the first night on our drive as it's only a little over an hour away, then next day take the 'van back to the dealership if we needed to then continue to a site with full facilities for a night (Friday) then nip over onto Anglesey for a night (Saturday) without hook up just to try it out

The only places on Anglesey I know of are on the very north west coast. You can wild camp at Bala Lake.

upload_2018-6-12_11-57-47.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
As above, in UK you have to try & book in where & when you want then pay a lot for the privilege, even the 5 van sites are getting pricey.
France here we come (well we’re already here) move when & where you want at a fraction of the cost and most Aires are near a village with a shop of some sort!
It is frustrating tho if you only want a short break & campsites don’t want you!
Once we get used to using the van we'll certainly consider nipping over to France, I've read so many good things about MH'ing there(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Even CL's can be fussy, the last time I tried to book for one night I was told we only take weekly bookings, it was quite local to me as well.
Don't think they realise that caravaners and motorhomers are not the same thing:mad:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Many sites in France will not allow bookings for one night. Some in Spain don't allow bookings at all. The answer is not to book. If we really think there might be a problem we just phone a few hours ahead to check they have a space. There's always another nearby.

Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
We've to pick up our new van from N. Wales on Thursday 28th June. The dealership offered to put us on a site nearby for our first night. After much discussion we declined the offer as the logistics of getting to the dealership with everything we need to overnight in our 'van was a bit of a nightmare as my wife doesn't drive. We decided to bring the 'van home and spend the first night on our drive as it's only a little over an hour away, then next day take the 'van back to the dealership if we needed to then continue to a site with full facilities for a night (Friday) then nip over onto Anglesey for a night (Saturday) without hook up just to try it out.:)
The problem that we've had was booking a single night on two sites. I used the enquiry form on their web sites 6 days ago and have heard nothing until tonight. I heard from the Friday one saying they had no vacancies for that date, I don't expect that I will have any luck on the Saturday, if I hear from them at all!
We had emailed rather than call as we'd spent about 5 hours looking through all the books and web sites ie. Camping and Caravan Club, Brit Stops, Ukcampsites, Searchforsites and it was pretty late at night by the time we'd decided where we wanted to go ....... too much choice!
We were hoping to tour with the van mainly (not always) spending single nights on sites then moving on, so I can see this being a recurring problem. Has anyone encountered this problem? Any advice would be great(y) So looking forward to getting our first van and been checking the emails constantly for a reply from the sites, never thought for one second that this would be a problem
Hi. Why not rent a 15cwt panel van one way. That way you can take the kitchen sink with you. You can then take up the dealer’s offer and move on.
Sites may not take one night bookings as it will not allow a pitch for a full week as many people may prefer, but I don’t have a definitive answer. Phoning the site has been advantageous for us as it has got us into sites that look fully booked on the net.
Mike

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back