Anyone else feeling crowd-averse? (1 Viewer)

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
I’m nervous because of the large numbers of totally selfish people in the UK.. the Covid situation has been made many times worse by people who simply don’t give a shit about the rules.

11 of the 13 houses where we live have blatantly broken the rules so if we’re indicative of the rest of the country then NOBODY can complain about our government’s handling of this pandemic.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I’m nervous because of the large numbers of totally selfish people in the UK.. the Covid situation has been made many times worse by people who simply don’t give a shit about the rules.

11 of the 13 houses where we live have blatantly broken the rules so if we’re indicative of the rest of the country then NOBODY can complain about our government’s handling of this pandemic.

Out of interest has any of the residents in any of those 11 houses been hospitalised or died ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
...so if we’re indicative of the rest of the country then NOBODY can complain about our government’s handling of this pandemic.
You're area doesn't sound like west West Berks :think:
We've some teens/mid-20s who can be seen hanging out but otherwise the big majority are conforming.

Towards Reading & Tilehurst things are different but I've not been there myself to observe. But as we are all in the "West Berkshire" we get their stiffer tier rating :(

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I don’t feel safe at all if people are around me, even when out walking the dog I am forever crossing the road to avoid people.
I had booked Stratford but am now having doubts about it, just as well I haven’t paid.
Dave, we’ve rebooked Stratford. We don’t see the big shows as a shopping expedition, but rather as a large Funster meet!

The New Forest is a ‘show’ event, but again was, for us, more about the Funsters than the stalls and we had a lovely time there.

Hope to see you both soon and to whet your gorgeous great granddaughter’s head (neither of you look old enough BTW....) ! xx

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
When we went to France last year, pre end of lockdown, we were at a very very remote campsite for 10 days, then went into Germany, we ran, ran like the wind back to France, it was actually very weird and I like to think of myself as strong of mind.
We did the opposite. We were in France when the quarantine on returning came in but no quarantine if returning from Germany. So we had a couple of weeks visiting our son near Chamonix then two and a half weeks in Germany no need to quarantine that way. Loved Germany and cannot wait to see more of it.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We did the opposite. We were in France when the quarantine on returning came in but no quarantine if returning from Germany. So we had a couple of weeks visiting our son near Chamonix then two and a half weeks in Germany no need to quarantine that way. Loved Germany and cannot wait to see more of it.
This was mid June, I did the same as you for September.
The difference in attitude at that time between ze Germans and les French was shocking.
We had been on a site of 85 acres with between 5 and 15 of us and then met market day in Germany.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Like the cold and flu viruses this virus is here forever.
Even the plague is still with us 400 years on.
You either learn to live with it or live a very different life.
New vaccines will be developed over time giving FULL protection but until then the current vaccines are going to help.

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019

11 of the 13 houses where we live have blatantly broken the rules so if we’re indicative of the rest of the country then NOBODY can complain about our government’s handling of this
Can’t be indicative as that would be 84% of the population not following the rules. Personally I believe that the vast majority of people have behaved admirably👍

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
We love wide open spaces and not too keen on crowds, this virus has only increased our love of small groups and open spaces. Looking forward to touring in Europe again and finding those magical quiet places.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015

You're not... apparently.
Data suggests, listening to R4 yesterday, that 28% have deliberately or unintentionally broken lockdown rules... and then they're only minor infractions.

So when you see a news report that 150 attended a party, keep in mind the million who didn't go to a premier league football match on a weekend.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If your outside in a crowd then your pretty well safe. Remember all the crowds at the beaches last year ? Not one infection was traced back to that. BLM and other protests, no surge in cases.

Big indoor arena events might be ify tho.

Not so sure. At the time of the nearby BLM and XR protests our local area had zero new Covid infections for 3 weeks. Subsequently there were some isolated cases, then we had news reports of spreaders going into pubs causing a few small clusters. After which it took off exponentially, with very big clusters after freshers week in the Unis. Could have been a coincidence but I doubt that these events were totally unconnected.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I haven’t been in a shop for a year ... nice off the track into the trees if someone is walking towards me. But in just over two weeks I’ll be back at work, in a room with my class for 7 hours a day. I’ll keep the windows open to hopefully protect us all.
Somehow it feels different because we are like family but equally I know not all parents are as cautious as I am.
I’ve been vaccinated but do not feel safe enough to venture into a shop.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm even becoming possessive and irritated by the groups of lockdown hoi polloi who are using 'my' leafy twittens and rural footpaths. For 30+ years prior to Covid I rarely saw a soul when dog walking. It's also depressing at the amount of litter they leave behind in the normally litter-free fields and hedgerows; poo bags, crisp packets, Covid masks, drinks cans.......... :rolleyes:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just my way of life for 50 of my 70 odd years, never really felt a bit of difference during lockdown than the rest of my days apart from not going out in the van especially France, otherwise I won't know when it's lifted. (y) :Smile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just my way of life for 50 of my 70 odd years, never really felt a bit of difference during lockdown than the rest of my days apart from not going out in the van especially France, otherwise I won't know when it's lifted. (y) :Smile:
Must add though that my kids and grandkids all live within a hundred yards of me so still see them most days.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Much as I would love life to go back how it was, I cannot envisage going to motorhome shows with thousands of people milling around and then sitting in crowded entertainment halls watching the shows.

Is it just me?

If you need counselling let me know 😉😂

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm exactly the same except for feeling anxious on my once a week outing to the supermarket even though I had my first jab a month ago.

I think they discovered a Japanese soldier not too long ago in a forest who was unaware that WW2 had finished.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I'm curious - why not?
Don't you trust your vaccination?
A couple of things ... vaccine only 4 days old so immunity not started to build up ... I may feel better once I’ve had the second dose but even then it’s not guaranteed to protect me so crowds are still not advisable.
Also there is no evidence on how well the virus protects against transmission so I could be putting unvaccinated relatives at risk.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
A couple of things ... vaccine only 4 days old so immunity not started to build up ... I may feel better once I’ve had the second dose but even then it’s not guaranteed to protect me so crowds are still not advisable.
Also there is no evidence on how well the virus protects against transmission so I could be putting unvaccinated relatives at risk.
I believe there is some early evidence about reducing transmission.
Family in your bubble at home is a valid consideration.
Again early data suggests that one dose significantly reduces both the chances of catching Covid, and reducing the symptoms if you do.
Hopefully the forthcoming figures will give you confidence in the near future.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back