Anyone done the NC500? (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Fancy visiting the Pre-65 Scotish m/c trial start of May and thought about trying to fit in a tour of top end of Scotland (NC500) .Are there any places to camp en-route in M/H and what is the weather likely to be like (mid April/May ?) No midges at that time of year?

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
That time of year can often produce pretty good weather in those parts, and you are unlikely to have too much trouble with the wee beasties. Also quieter, as the NC500 is becoming very busy in peak season.

Quite a few camp sites should be open, and lots of wild camping opportunities.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We did it a couple of years ago going clockwise, if I were to do it in full again I'd go anti-clockwise, as the West coast is more spectacular than the East coast. We didn't book anywhere on the NC500, just took our chances each day and had no problems.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
my wife did it at end of Sept - she said deffo go anti clockwise - the E coast would be a disappointment after the majesty of the W coast. by doing it anticlockwise, the views just get better and better.
she highly recommended getting the Lonely Planet NC500 ebook (i think it might be a print edition now too)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We did it over 21 days September . We even cancelled a 5 Star trip to Santorini that we’d booked for Ralph’s 50th Birthday to do it.
It was great. Here’s a link to our travels and experiences that we did for funsters on here.
There’s lots to see on the East coast if you plan them out before hand we found too.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/north-coast-500-with-whisky-detour.138281/

We never saw all we wanted , and plan to go around again and do the bits we missed. We had a great time.
AND no midges !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Sites open Easter. I live on it and its very busy. Plenty of places to free camp, but even we have trouble getting in sometimes for the night.

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
You should be fine in May. There's always 2 good weeks of weather up there in May, you just don't know which 2 :xblink: however the midgies shouldn't be active at that time of year.
We did a whizz round earlier this year. Did it anti-clockwise as others have suggested. There's an "aire" at Kinlochbervie harbour with electric/water/rubbish dump and there's a site run by the local Crofters above Shieldaig village. Donations only on that one. No electric or water though but public toilets down the bottom of the hill. Shieldaig is a lovely wee village. Go do it and pick up on @Ralph-n-Bev review of the trip. Plenty wild camping spots to be found. Bob.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
We did it, well half of it in May this year. Got to loch lomand , weather so bad we went east and travelled up the coast before cutting inland and north to the top. Then went west and down the coast taking in skye. Wild camped up north easily and used caravan and motorhome cls in various places. Wild camped laybys, pull ins, on the road, carparks at tourist places with no trouble at all. However we were out of season and dread to think what it’s like the in summer hols given reports.
We had glourious days of sun followed by glorious days of horizontal rain.
But fantastic will go again as wild and spectacular.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Fancy visiting the Pre-65 Scotish m/c trial start of May and thought about trying to fit in a tour of top end of Scotland (NC500) .Are there any places to camp en-route in M/H and what is the weather likely to be like (mid April/May ?) No midges at that time of year?
I loosely followed it a few months ago and there are loads of wild camp spots I could have used.

If you're not bothered about taking your moho down single track roads (with plenty of passing places) I stayed at a basic site overlooking the beach at Melon Udrigle in Highland and I have every intention of going back to it.
No EHU, but fresh water, waste & chemical emptying at £10 per night and any subsequent nights at £8.

I came across the site by accident and obviously hadn't booked it, but if you want to check it's going to be open, the owner's numbers are 01445 731665 and 07776 238650.

With views like this of and from my pitch, you'd need a good excuse not to go.... :xThumb:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"

Often (but not always) the best time of the year to visit the North West of Scotland is April/May - reasonable weather and usually no midgies!!

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Kingham

We also found Mellon Udrigle by chance and were lucky enough to get the following picture. Apparently the previous night was even better.

DSC02341small.jpg

We did a fair bit of the Western part of the NNC500 but turned south at Tongue stopping off at the Club campsite at Altnaharra. The following is the view from our van there.
DSC02421asmall.jpg

A couple of places well worth visiting again.

You would need to check when the Club site at Altnaharra is open as it is not open all year round. There is no Toilet/Shower block there but you can have electric if available and there are disposal facilities as well as water. Booking advisable.

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
1FD1FE53-E2BF-462A-9B1F-E7C6DB9FA391.jpeg
We did it over 3 weeks in April this year and it was superb. The weather was great (mainly), too early for midges and we did it clockwise, next time, and there will be a next time, we’ll do it anti-clockwise.
It’s becoming incredibly popular now so best to book in advance to ensure at least recharging batteries, water etc. occasionally. Lots of wild-camping places and you’ll never be bothered.
Enjoy. But, spend a couple of nights in most places as an overnight throughout feels like you’re on the road constantly and missing out on the beauty, tranquility and majesty of it all.

Last edited:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Kingham

We also found Mellon Udrigle by chance and were lucky enough to get the following picture. Apparently the previous night was even better.

View attachment 201782

We did a fair bit of the Western part of the NNC500 but turned south at Tongue stopping off at the Club campsite at Altnaharra. The following is the view from our van there. View attachment 201790

A couple of places well worth visiting again.

You would need to check when the Club site at Altnaharra is open as it is not open all year round. There is no Toilet/Shower block there but you can have electric if available and there are disposal facilities as well as water. Booking advisable.
Wow, beautiful sky, even better than when I was there :xThumb:

My original plan as I travelled north from Bunree, was to base my travels around three C&MC sites, except they all closed on the same day that I left Bunree.

Every cloud has a silver lining (or gold in your pic).... I wouldn't have found Mellon Udrigle if they'd been open.

Reactions: DJA

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Ken

We found the site because the Club site at Poolewe was full and seeking somewhere else spotted a small sign at the side of the road and followed on the off chance. Good Move.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Also stayed at Sango Sands site at Durness, nice beach, but the site was too crammed for me and as I left early the next morning, I drove past a couple of vans wild camping near Sangobeg, overlooking a beach.... and I couldn't resist parking up to grab a pic....

image.jpeg

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
We did the Western part last year and it’s fabulous. Plenty of nice quiet sites and wilding spots. My avatar picture was taken from our pitch at the Scourie site.

Baileysbus

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Fife
Funster No
Exp
Start of 2016
Also stayed at Sango Sands site at Durness, nice beach, but the site was too crammed for me and as I left early the next morning, I drove past a couple of vans wild camping near Sangobeg, overlooking a beach.... and I couldn't resist parking up to grab a pic....

View attachment 201803
That beach is well worth going down to look at :xThumb:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I loosely followed it a few months ago and there are loads of wild camp spots I could have used.

If you're not bothered about taking your moho down single track roads (with plenty of passing places) I stayed at a basic site overlooking the beach at Melon Udrigle in Highland and I have every intention of going back to it.
No EHU, but fresh water, waste & chemical emptying at £10 per night and any subsequent nights at £8.

I came across the site by accident and obviously hadn't booked it, but if you want to check it's going to be open, the owner's numbers are 01445 731665 and 07776 238650.

With views like this of and from my pitch, you'd need a good excuse not to go.... :xThumb:

View attachment 201774

View attachment 201775

View attachment 201777
Is an amazing spot . We were all alone there !

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
image.png
You should be fine in May. There's always 2 good weeks of weather up there in May, you just don't know which 2 :xblink: however the midgies shouldn't be active at that time of year.
We did a whizz round earlier this year. Did it anti-clockwise as others have suggested. There's an "aire" at Kinlochbervie harbour with electric/water/rubbish dump and there's a site run by the local Crofters above Shieldaig village. Donations only on that one. No electric or water though but public toilets down the bottom of the hill. Shieldaig is a lovely wee village. Go do it and pick up on @Ralph-n-Bev review of the trip. Plenty wild camping spots to be found. Bob.
Water available at Shieldaig (see photo) 20 m left of the gate on the outside.

The Kinlochbervie aire has become a bit expensive for what it is. There is plenty of camping places on the 500 and most of them are free.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Nice to see this thread as we are looking at doing the same at a similar time next year probably stop in Edinburgh near our son for a night on the way up then ant-clockwise see friends in Glasgow on the way back. How long did people allow for the actual 500?

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014

View attachment 201803
Great photos. Looks like we now have the same van I’m very interested in the roof bars you have and how they fix ?

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Great photos. Looks like we now have the same van I’m very interested in the roof bars you have and how they fix ?
Thanks. It's the AS Kingham.

Rather than hijack the thread, I've PMd you regarding the rails.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Very nice, but living where we do Durness is the same mileage as Montpellier and I'd rather have the better weather. Not that Montpellier is a particularly nice place, it's just the same distance for an example.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Very nice, but living where we do Durness is the same mileage as Montpellier and I'd rather have the better weather. Not that Montpellier is a particularly nice place, it's just the same distance for an example.

If you’d left two years ago, you could have visited Durness and Montpellier a few times and been back home in time for this Christmas.:xThumb:

Ian

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Definitely recommend East to West against the flow of any traffic, loads of places to park up and public toilets available but not as many as in the past, enough to be useful though. Most places welcome motorhomes and in May ( our favourite month ) midges should not be a problem. Plan ahead and search the various web sites for places to park up.

Have a great trip and make sure to divert from the NC500 route and explore some of the small fishing villages on the east coast.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back