Anyone doing NC500 may have a problem (1 Viewer)

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Without doubt long long diversions if certain reds shut .

jenna54

Free Member
Aug 25, 2017
west dorset
Funster No
MH
compass navigator vwt4
Exp
wow i did the nc 500 three weeks ago it was amazing my motorhome handled it nicely i loved it if anyone gets a chance to do it go for it hey i even bought a t shirt to say i had done it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
More and more take to the 500 when will it level out , it won't ,just get more and more congested , when I go up there next will deffo be out of season .

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
You should try living on the route, it seems on some days there's a moho every other vehicle.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I'm lookint to go in a couple of weeks time as part of my enforced recouperation after the hernia op.
Probably just stick with the west coast though.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We will be going on a tour of the highlands with our new van, the NC500 only does the top bit, so much to see on the west coast from crossing the Erskin Bridge Glasgow, with loch Lomond on your right, then the big decision, left to Mull of Kintyre, or straight on to Fort William.
We would only do this out of season for two reasons, first traffic & second and even more annoying the midge season:mask:
There,s a challenging very narrow single track road around Applecross area, called Bealach Na Ba, with warning that its not suitable for lorries, not sure if I would be brave or silly enough to attempt it in the moho, has any one done it? advice please

Deleted User
Follow your own route up the west coast, easy to miss that bit if you don't start in Inverness.

A 87 from Lochgarry, get to see Eileen Donan castle (famous biscuit tin adornment), Plockton where some TV police series was filmed a few years ago or even Arisaig and Mallaig, ferry onto Skye and back across the bridge to Kyle and onward.......get adventurous, make your own route!:)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Did the Applecross road in July and found it stunning. It is certainly 'doable' from the north by the majority of MH's ( this is the easiest route) and as I only have a 6 mt PVC will do it the other way round next time I am up there.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm lookint to go in a couple of weeks time as part of my enforced recouperation after the hernia op.
Probably just stick with the west coast though.
Me too, although I've had my opp 5 days now and I can just about manage to walk 500 yards unaided. I'm hoping be able to drive in a fortnight

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We will be going on a tour of the highlands with our new van, the NC500 only does the top bit, so much to see on the west coast from crossing the Erskin Bridge Glasgow, with loch Lomond on your right, then the big decision, left to Mull of Kintyre, or straight on to Fort William.
We would only do this out of season for two reasons, first traffic & second and even more annoying the midge season:mask:
There,s a challenging very narrow single track road around Applecross area, called Bealach Na Ba, with warning that its not suitable for lorries, not sure if I would be brave or silly enough to attempt it in the moho, has any one done it? advice please
I've done it many times in a motorhome although not yet in my current one, not sure the tag axle and the large overhang will cope with the hairpin bends near the top.
But before now I've done it in a 7.5 metre single axle van with no issues

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Me too, although I've had my opp 5 days now and I can just about manage to walk 500 yards unaided. I'm hoping be able to drive in a fortnight

I've been told 1 to 2 weeks till you can drive if you can do an emergency stop.
My ops next so will have to wait and see.

Looks like my post count will rise :D

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've been told 1 to 2 weeks till you can drive if you can do an emergency stop.
My ops next so will have to wait and see.

Looks like my post count will rise :D
Yes I was told the same.... Are you having open surgery?
I have to say the pain has subsided a bit now but still every sudden movement a sneeze a cough or even bending to put a sock on brings tears to my eyes :( certainly couldn't do an emergency stop at present.
But a week is a long time so hopefully by next week I'll have improved a lot.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Yes I was told the same.... Are you having open surgery?
I have to say the pain has subsided a bit now but still every sudden movement a sneeze a cough or even bending to put a sock on brings tears to my eyes :( certainly couldn't do an emergency stop at present.
But a week is a long time so hopefully by next week I'll have improved a lot.

Yes open surgery.

I'm hoping the pain is no worse than when I did my back in. The only way I could move around the house was on my hands and knees :cry:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes open surgery.

I'm hoping the pain is no worse than when I did my back in. The only way I could move around the house was on my hands and knees :cry:
Of course everyone experiences things differently the first few days are by far the worst and not something I'd like to experience again.... But a big difference now and that should continue to improve.
I wish you a smooth opp and a speedy recovery

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
If you do mull of kintyre it's a long way down to Campbeltown but worth every mile !

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I've done it many times in a motorhome although not yet in my current one, not sure the tag axle and the large overhang will cope with the hairpin bends near the top.
But before now I've done it in a 7.5 metre single axle van with no issues

Now having seen the video I think I would have done it in our 7m MH single axle, which I have taken to worse places. I was expecting more hairpin bends - but it is not always easy too assess their steepness from a dash-cam.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Now having seen the video I think I would have done it in our 7m MH single axle, which I have taken to worse places. I was expecting more hairpin bends - but it is not always easy too assess their steepness from a dash-cam.
I have to say watching that video there's only the one bend I'd be concerned about but I think I'd probably make it without too much problems, from memory I'd have sworn there were more than that but memory is often like that

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
I think the issue now is the number of vehicles you are going to meet and their ability to use passing places.The article in this months CMC mag will not help.It gives the impression that all the roads are great but doesn't mention at all the issues about passing places and hired motorhomes and our dear Italian Convoys

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
We are just having a rest on a campsite on Skye before starting on the NC500 tomorrow with a visit to Applecross using the coast road.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'm tired of the 500 now and thoroughly mozzy bit.
I took a shortcut from Thurso direct to Brora
It's not all it's cracked up to be and transport for Scotland are not doing enough

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
I must say we are running out of steam, we had a bad storm last night.

It was like being parked up in a car wash!!!!

The one day of sunshine, got the deck chairs out and the mozzies descended on us.

The place is heaving with foreign tourists, either that or all the Scots are speaking German now.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No more Scotland for me :LOL: I should have learnt the first time :eek: that's why more Scotts live in England. Ya can keep it and your romantic notions, I should have gone south :whistle:
I'm in Berwick on Tweed now before looking forwards to home on Friday for a rest

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Also I crossed the new queensferry crossing today on its first day of use and the traffic was horrendous north and south without any obvious reason other than it simply has not resolved traffic flow.
Why are Scottish motorways 2 lanes :LOL:
No toll yet an hour delay ?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Also I crossed the new queensferry crossing today on its first day of use and the traffic was horrendous north and south without any obvious reason other than it simply has not resolved traffic flow.
Why are Scottish motorways 2 lanes :LOL:
No toll yet an hour delay ?
For some daft reason loads of people were desperate to try it out so the normal traffic doubled... Didn't help they closed the original bridge today, should be a lot smoother when it officially opens on Monday
Still think a tunnel would have been better

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's a beautiful construction indeed.
I'm not convinced it was overwhelmed with sight seers as google maps reported a 53 minute delay as early as 7:30 and we arrived near 10 a.m. well after rush hour and it was worse. Also there are lots of shortcut detours popping up with google navigation which I'm sure compounds the problem. I chose to not queue jump and go with the flow

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back