Anyone bought a garmin camper 660? (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I do have one annoying issue which perhaps someone can help with? It has a tendency to start displaying warnings of approaching hazards as popups, obscuring most of the screen. There is a section of the A9 around Golspie where it does this in particular. I can't find the setting to turn this off?
I assume you mean the white panel that comes up at the right of the screen with a (turn it off) X at the top left of the panel. I haven't found a way to turn it off either. It is common to Garmin devices (it also happens on the Nuvi I use in the car). I sometimes turn it off (Jill drives the van so I am the passenger) but now we are used to it we usually just leave it.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I have Proximity Alerts set up to show Custom POIs. That means that all POIs I have added (not just the Motorhome Parking ones) which are within the area shown on the screen at any given time show up. That is the same as the older TomTom devices (and Mio & devices using iGo) show as well. The newer (Nav4) TomTom devices do not allow .bmp images to be associated with custom POIs (though they still say they are working on it.

In addition, say we fancy a stop and there is nothing within the map area showing then I (as passenger with Jill driving) can search the POIs for the nearest one and add it as a waypoint so that we will be taken there as part of the journey.

I don't have the option to do that.

In the proximity alerts the only option I have is the "Garmin Speed Camera"

Any ideas?

Andrew

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It's worth knowing that, for the 660LMT, the receiver for free traffic updates is inside the plug on the charging lead. If you use a pre-fitted charging lead, as I did at first, you don't receive the traffic updates. But then you all knew that didn't you? :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I assume you mean the white panel that comes up at the right of the screen with a (turn it off) X at the top left of the panel. I haven't found a way to turn it off either.
I know what you mean, and it's not that. It's an alert box that covers almost the entire screen. It has a close button but reappears as soon as the next warning comes up. There are a lot of bends on that part of the A9 so the alert soon reappears.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I know what you mean, and it's not that. It's an alert box that covers almost the entire screen. It has a close button but reappears as soon as the next warning comes up. There are a lot of bends on that part of the A9 so the alert soon reappears.
Very strange. Since the recent map update I get warnings in a yellow bar at the top of the screen for things like side winds, sharp curves and narrow roads but I've never seen anything covering the entire screen. Probably needs a call/e-mail to Garmin support.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't have the option to do that.

In the proximity alerts the only option I have is the "Garmin Speed Camera"

Any ideas?

Andrew
On the Camper 760, when I go into Settings and select Proximity Alerts it opens a screen with options of Audio and Alerts. Selecting Alerts opens a screen with tick boxes for both Garmin Safety Cameras and Custom POIs. It's the same on the Nuvi 2569 I use in the car.

I assume that is the case whether or not one has added Custom POIs but I haven't checked.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Very strange. Since the recent map update I get warnings in a yellow bar at the top of the screen for things like side winds, sharp curves and narrow roads but I've never seen anything covering the entire screen. Probably needs a call/e-mail to Garmin support.

Likewise.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I believe I now know the circumstances under which my 760 does the annoying 'pop up warning' thing. It is when you set a destination by going to map view and selecting a point on the map. If anyone already regularly does that, or is prepared to experiment, it would be interesting to hear if it happens to anyone else, before I contact Garmin.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
On the Camper 760, when I go into Settings and select Proximity Alerts it opens a screen with options of Audio and Alerts. Selecting Alerts opens a screen with tick boxes for both Garmin Safety Cameras and Custom POIs. It's the same on the Nuvi 2569 I use in the car.

I assume that is the case whether or not one has added Custom POIs but I haven't checked.

I have a Garmin Drivelux and prior to that a Garmin 3598, they both have the screen option for alert for Garmin safety cameras, which works fine. If you want alerts for Custom POI's you can alter the file name to include the word "redlight" and you will get an alert when approaching POI on your route. you can find out exactly how to do this here. http://brillharts.com/GarminAlerts/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back