Anyone been to Prague (1 Viewer)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
We are flying out to Prague middle of Dec and wanted to know if anyone has actually visited Prague and what they thought and is there any must do things whilst we are there

Thanks

LB

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
We were there a couple of summers ago, interesting city with lots of tourist things to do. They like their beer in Prague !
I'd guess there will be a Christmas market.
We walked up to the castle, can't remember it's name but nice walk in park in summer, you may need different things to do in winter, did I mention the beer ?

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
The Castle and the Astrological Clock which is in the Square are must sees. It is a lovely City to walk around. I agree the beer is good to
Enjoy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
was there 2016 , over hyped , but a nice enough place , very Touristy with a daytime culture very different to the nighttime one (naughty) .The Charles bridge quite interesting more so in Summer time. Castles ,similar to quite a few eastern european cities .
They have a M&S :) . Loads of restaurants The average high is 2°C/36°F and average low -2°C/28°F, so big coats Good/cheap public transport . Didnt manage to see it all only had a couple of days there .

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We stayed in a small hotel a couple of years ago to visit the Christmas market, lovely city, trams everywhere which makes getting about easy. The main square and clocktower worth seeing and the castle at the top on the opposite side of the river.
Lovely city , enjoy your visit (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Martin says it is fantastic ...... all the above. He brought me back a nice piece of silver :)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Yes, beautiful city but same as all tourist places, keep your money close to you. Same in any city throughout the world.
For a few pounds, get the Lonely Planet and it'll tell you everything from a shoestring budget to free spending.
The Christmas Markets are excellent but personally I prefer Budapest.

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Was there in April, walked simply miles in the four days, didn’t get to see nearly enough. Beer cheap and plenty of brewpubs with their own take on the classic pilsners. Walk one street away from the main tourist areas and prices fall for both food and drink. Lots of foreign students so nightlife lively but doesn’t really get going till after ten. Felt perfectly safe everywhere but again were warned by hotel concierge about pickpockets on trams. Great city.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We visited this summer in the van, its a lovely city but really busy near the tourist areas.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
My daughter went with her husband and enjoyed it ,so its on our wish list along with Krakow ,my brother went there and he was most impressed by the place and the people and he is hard to please .

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Perfect for 2 or 3 days
Half day each -
Castle
Old town
New town
Jewish quarter

Rather spoilt by stag parties these days . Some sordid rent
A woman places too

Deleted User
We visited in December two years ago and had a fantastic three days. Bars and Restaurants very good value for money. Christmas market lively, however, only usual European fare. Pseudo classical concerts worth booking for early evening entertainment and lots of unusual things to do there eg the John Lennon Peace Wall a must in my opinion, obviously not if of no interest. The famous clock a must see. Very cold when we were there so dress up warm and keep 'popping' into places, hot thick chocolate with Absinthe my favourite. Expect lots of walking, hotels of a very good standard and nicely informal. Official taxis to airport and back cheap enough. Although quite busy we did not see any of the stag and hen parties we were expecting although we did not stay out late at night preferring the cosy bar and restaurant near our hotel. Not sure how sterling has fared against the crown over the last 2 years so costs could have moved.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
We went in April in a group of 6. Compared to other capital cities we felt less at risk of pick pockets.
We had a lovely meal up the old communist TV tower. Dont be put off by its exterior facade. Very upmarket inside.
We were lucky as one of our party is Czech, so she got us th best tables and prices...
There is an eiffel tower (copy of) in the park which is good to climb for the views and its a lovely park. As said before you have the castle area. Also dont miss their little venice...they have beautiful canals.

Mrs Stagman

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We were there this September celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary. Go to Google play and download the Prague Travel Guide. This is what we did then undertook our own free walking tour, which turned out to be great. I would recommend a visit to the main square and a walk across the bridge that is hard to miss. We visited the three violins on the other side towards the cathedral and had a wonderful traditional goulash meal and Check beer. Simple, classic and cooked for the locals not the tourists. You can spend a whole day up around the Cathedral and it's grounds etc. Enjoy yourselfs.
20170924_135758.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5333.JPG
    IMG_5333.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5355.JPG
    IMG_5355.JPG
    270.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5364.JPG
    IMG_5364.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 11

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
We went for a weekend in February 2016 and really enjoyed it.
We booked a walking tour with lunch that started at the castle and were glad we did as we learnt so much more in three hours than we would have done mooching round ourselves.
The Charles bridge was very interesting (and covered in the tour) but really busy.
The park with the mini Eiffel Tower was also worth the walk for the views.
Plenty of places for good food and drink at what we thought was generally reasonably priced.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
My daughter went with her husband and enjoyed it ,so its on our wish list along with Krakow ,my brother went there and he was most impressed by the place and the people and he is hard to please .
Before visiting Prague this summer we spent a few days in Krakow and in my opinion Krakow was the best of the two.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
As said Castle etc.
You can also go up in the transmission tower, TV I think.
There is a large market a little out from the centre.
Plenty of beggars on or by the bridge.
We used the trams a lot as we were staying a bit away from the centre, cheap as chips and never felt unsafe.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Rather spoilt by stag parties these days . Some sordid rent
A woman places too

We're off to Prague Thursday for a stag weekend, do you have any coordinates for these places, so we can avoid them ? :whistle:
Seriously, I'm going for the culture and we've booked an afternoon firing automatic weapons, looking forward to it ! (y)

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
We were there this time last year for lens replacement surgery (y)(y)(y) :D
Visited all the places already mentioned. Take an extra vest it was cold. Good restaurants and cheap. Christmas markets all over the city if you like that kind of thing. Have an ice cream in this place. http://www.amorino.com/en/

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are flying out to Prague middle of Dec and wanted to know if anyone has actually visited Prague and what they thought and is there any must do things whilst we are there

Thanks

LB

Without doubt visit the Technology Museum. Fantastic.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Went there when young, drove a Triumph Herald convertible. Wanted to see all of Europe before I knuckled down to real work. Don't think motorhomes had been invented then. We arrived in Prague at the same time as a bunch of tank driving gun toting Russians. We left quite quickly never saw the sites. I guess with all the stag parties little has changed. Never went back but might fit it in next year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back