Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
I take delivery of a Globecar Campscout Revolution PVC on Friday after 3 Burstners with double floors and ALDE heating. Been on over 20 ski trips in them so pretty experienced.

However the decision to have a smaller van even if we can't ski with it was made. When skiing I am pretty happy to be on a site, and plan to try the PVC without water on board (only bottled) but wife not coming in case it's to cold in the van, I can tough it out for a week.

Just wondering has anyone any experience of taking a PVC to a ski resort. One of the reasons I bought a Globecar is it's the only PVC I've seen when skiing stay more than a couple of days.

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Good luck. Can't give you direct advice as like you we've only skied from larger well insulated vans, but talked with others out there in pvcs. You obviously know how to get round the challenges of the water system but you'll probably find th whetting surprisingly good in terms of your own comfort. Hope someone else can offer personal experience but good luck and look forward to hearing your tips/ experiences

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Surely you can have water on board in the globecar, the fresh tank is inside the van so should be ok, if the waste is insulated and heated that should be ok too although you would need EHU if the waste is heated via 12v.
Might as well try using both tanks to see how you get on, a good test for it, then you will know for future.
Has it got the winter pack fitted?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ruthiebabe

Free Member
May 13, 2012
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1989
Surely you can have water on board in the globecar, the fresh tank is inside the van so should be ok, if the waste is insulated and heated that should be ok too although you would need EHU if the waste is heated via 12v.
Might as well try using both tanks to see how you get on, a good test for it, then you will know for future.
Has it got the winter pack fitted?

It is worth trying CazPaul but it will depend on how low the temperatures are, often the problem is not a tank (if it is internal and heating is kept on) but where the pipes run

OP
OP
Phillybarbour

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
CazPaul, thanks for the comments. With lots of ski experience I know it won't cope. It's never the tanks that freeze it's the small feeder pipes. Once and if they freeze you are stuffed there is no way back other than driving all the way down the mountain and hoping for better weather.

Even in a double floor heated van I've had pipes freeze overnight but thaw out again in the day. I've experienced -24 night and -12 day as the temp highs. No PVC will cope in this re water.

On a good site with excellent facilities I don't need water onboard. But I'm still a bit concerned over heat retention. I'm going to give it a go come what may.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I doubt our IH would be very comfortable at -24c.

Whilst i am sure u would survive - not sure it would be fun - lol

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Skiing in a PVC ?

As long as you specified the Winter Sports Pack from the dealer, you should be fine;

OP
OP
Phillybarbour

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
I doubt our IH would be very comfortable at -24c.

Whilst i am sure u would survive - not sure it would be fun - lol

Planning our first trip in March which will be much milder. The low temperatures I quoted where in January which is normally the coldest month along with February.

Previous Burstners coped fine in those temps.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I think i was trying to say with minimal insulation and lots of painted metal inside it would not be a great four season van

We use ours for three seasons and it can get very warm in the sun. The toilet area and rear lockers get exceptionally warm.

I suspect there is minimal insulation applied during the build

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I was going to buy this earlier in the year, the German owners assured me they went skiing every year, minus 20 overnight and never a pipe or tank froze, Both fresh and waste internal and all pipes inside too. It is called a CS Rondo by CS Reisemobile in Northern Germany.
CS REISEMOBILE RONDO.jpg

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I was going to buy this earlier in the year, the German owners assured me they went skiing every year, minus 20 overnight and never a pipe or tank froze, Both fresh and waste internal and all pipes inside too. It is called a CS Rondo by CS Reisemobile in Northern Germany.View attachment 188459
Why didn't you?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
They sold it to someone else before arrangements could be made, private german sellers and it sold to someone in Germany.
Seems like the ideal vehicle for those that want to slide down mountains on narrow strips of wood/metal/carbon.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I have seen a few PVC's on our years of ski trips but not many. Was looking for a photo of last year in Siestiere Italy where a Globecar parked up next to us. We were only stopping a few nights but he seemed happy as did his dog.. As you say any MH can freeze up in winter but with some bottled water and a good site I don't see a problem. You can't always avoid the freezing up but you can always keep yourself warm especially on a site with good hook up. Our first van which was a CI used to freeze up the moment we left Dover but me Nikki and the Kids still loved it and kept warm even on aires. We have been down to temps so low my hands froze on the ski lifts but we still survived. One thing I would consider though is a winter screen cover which covers the whole of the front of the van from the roof right to the floor (not an ordinary external screen) I think a company called hinderburg? made them They make such a difference and as you know a snow wall around the edge always keeps the wind out from under the van which helps..

Happy holiday, can't wait already planning our trip

OP
OP
Phillybarbour

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
I have seen a few PVC's on our years of ski trips but not many. Was looking for a photo of last year in Siestiere Italy where a Globecar parked up next to us. We were only stopping a few nights but he seemed happy as did his dog.. As you say any MH can freeze up in winter but with some bottled water and a good site I don't see a problem. You can't always avoid the freezing up but you can always keep yourself warm especially on a site with good hook up. Our first van which was a CI used to freeze up the moment we left Dover but me Nikki and the Kids still loved it and kept warm even on aires. We have been down to temps so low my hands froze on the ski lifts but we still survived. One thing I would consider though is a winter screen cover which covers the whole of the front of the van from the roof right to the floor (not an ordinary external screen) I think a company called hinderburg? made them They make such a difference and as you know a snow wall around the edge always keeps the wind out from under the van which helps..

Happy holiday, can't wait already planning our trip

Many thanks for the advice, already ordered one its from Hindermann and as you say the full front covering the whole of the van to the floor.
They also do rear door covers and an inside sliding door cover leaving a much smaller gap to get through each time you open the door.

Hindermann products are just superb. With three of the covers and the Truma 6e heating upgrade that I ordered I really hope it can cope. Thanks again for your advice because although i know about them not many people do and it's very helpful of you.

OP
OP
Phillybarbour

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
I was going to buy this earlier in the year, the German owners assured me they went skiing every year, minus 20 overnight and never a pipe or tank froze, Both fresh and waste internal and all pipes inside too. It is called a CS Rondo by CS Reisemobile in Northern Germany.View attachment 188459

CazPaul, with a lot of skiing experience I just wouldn't try that. A very good friend of ours had his water freeze in his van, it did £3000 worth of damage. Not a risk worth taking if your on a good site.

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Slightly different but ordered our coach-built with a winter pack, to my surprise came with cab curtains made out of what I can only describe as a 10 tog duvet!
Coupled with silver screens no heat is going to escape, that's the front of your van sorted not sure about the rest!!

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
Been skiing with our PVC since 2010, great! Never stayed in aires, main reason being OH doesn't want to carry genny on ext. and as we have a transverse bed , that then Leaves us storing it underneath the bed, neither of us then want it inside smelling of fuel. So we've always stayed on sites and have ehu. Never been cold inside as always keep convector on all day and night. We've adapted things, all panels removed and OH has insulated, also have layered floor I.e. Silver stuff stuck (sorry no idea what it's called)down first, then thick carpet, and usually rugs! It works for us. Only pain is making sure we're both ready before opening the door and letting heat out. We have had cold spots and hair drier has solved problem as we know where they'll freeze,but unable to get to cold spot unless we basically dismantle things. We brought the water tank inside and had cak tanks make us a tank that fitted in a back locker, holds 70 litres so we're fine. We've had temps down to -10 and up to 24 last year in valloire!
It all works for us, by the way we only get to go at school hol times due to OH being s teacher. Enjoy your PVC we liked the globecar very much when we saw it at mh show. Helen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back