Anyone after a road map of Britain have a shuftie at this (1 Viewer)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Despite having a satnav running, plus a netbook with Autoroute and a sat receiver SWMBO always likes to have a map as well. We came across the Phillips offering a couple of years ago and found it much better than the others. They do a Europe version too.
Us too! We bought the slightly smaller scale Philips European Atlas that offered us enough detail to see where we were heading, whilst avoiding having to pack the equivalent of the Encyclopaedia Britannica for the Spanish jaunt.

Steve

Aug 20, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Home Car P59
Exp
I'm a newbie
I’m one of these people that have a compass in his head, years ago before satnavs I could get anywhere by having a quick shufftie at a map….

now I drive everywhere with sat-nav and wouldn’t have a clue where something was… I couldn’t do Europe without one…🤷🏼
I was the same , driven for a living since 1990 , before satnav I knew where I was going , after , no idea
Having said that WAZE is the most useful tool ever for a driver , I rarely drive past a broken down car without getting a notification it's there , same with the police when they're hiding and I couldn't cope without the traffic info

A couple of weeks ago I had to go to Hadfield just after the end of the M67 , the queue coming the opposite direction was stationary and miles long

But Waze sent me 3-4 miles to the left and I was back on the motorway in 10 minutes , I use it all the time even when I know exactly where I'm going

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 13, 2020
Leicester
Funster No
MH
'Inbetweeners'
Exp
Newbie. Motor home experience began on 1/8/2020.
Try the CCC version of this atlas... even clearer 1.5mls to inch but also shows approved campsite locations but more importantly any height/width/weight restrictions on all routes.

Think that is the one I bought. Not used it yet :rolleyes:

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I was the same , driven for a living since 1990 , before satnav I knew where I was going , after , no idea
Having said that WAZE is the most useful tool ever for a driver , I rarely drive past a broken down car without getting a notification it's there , same with the police when they're hiding and I couldn't cope without the traffic info

A couple of weeks ago I had to go to Hadfield just after the end of the M67 , the queue coming the opposite direction was stationary and miles long

But Waze sent me 3-4 miles to the left and I was back on the motorway in 10 minutes , I use it all the time even when I know exactly where I'm going

It's a real shame that they don't do a Waze for Motorhomes/Truckers, in my car I use it all the time, even though I have a lifetime Sygic license.

Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Yes Waze can be brilliant, but I do like a map.
GIF by Atlanta

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I’m one of these people that have a compass in his head, years ago before satnavs I could get anywhere by having a quick shufftie at a map….

now I drive everywhere with sat-nav and wouldn’t have a clue where something was… I couldn’t do Europe without one…🤷🏼
Sat Navs are obsolete if you have a smart phone. I use Apple Maps which comes on an iPhone but connected to my smart radio with Apple Car Play which connects the audio announcement s to the vehicles speakers with a good 7” display. Google, Here as well as Apple Maps connects with Apple Car Play. Sygic Truck do a version which is for motorhomes but a paid for service unlike Apple and Google, Here can can be used offline. Just done a journey which got me to my destination in both directions with no bother.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our Sygic sat nav on the tablet has got a mind of its own ... it likes to take us of the main road, round a roundabout and then back on the main road again ... no idea why .... it tried to do it again today on the M60 on our way home, fortunately I managed to spot it before we turned off ... this is an example of it doing the same thing the other day ... no idea why ... it also developed a stupid issue where it would tell us to use a certain road, but the screen showed a totally different one .... nuts! Fortunately with my trusty map I was able to tell hubby which way to go although today even he had a brain fart and ignored both me and the sat nav (we were both right) and turned the wrong way completely ... twice! :doh:

DSCF7533.JPG

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Our Sygic sat nav on the tablet has got a mind of its own ... it likes to take us of the main road, round a roundabout and then back on the main road again ... no idea why .... it tried to do it again today on the M60 on our way home, fortunately I managed to spot it before we turned off ... this is an example of it doing the same thing the other day ... no idea why ... it also developed a stupid issue where it would tell us to use a certain road, but the screen showed a totally different one .... nuts! Fortunately with my trusty map I was able to tell hubby which way to go although today even he had a brain fart and ignored both me and the sat nav (we were both right) and turned the wrong way completely ... twice! :doh:

View attachment 499080
My Garmin does that sometimes, I wonder if at the time of an update there was road works there and a diversion in place..🤔

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
My Garmin does that sometimes, I wonder if at the time of an update there was road works there and a diversion in place..🤔
We encountered 3 locations yesterday where the road must have originally been a T Junction or similar, but where it has been modified to be a left bend followed by a right bend a very short distance [50 metres max] later. Mrs SatNav, despite yet another map update on Saturday still says, 'At the end of the street, turn left and then sharp right' as we wallow round the bend ... My favourite was shortly after the Queensferry Crossing was opened and the SatNav showed my Pug 3008 sliding gracefully into the Forth; very good door seals, not a drop of water when we reached the far bank ... :ROFLMAO:

Steve

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
If anyone is interested in the CCC version the latest edition can be pre ordered from Amazon for £17.55, for delivery around June 3rd.

Amazon product ASIN 1849075700
This one looks like the better deal as it's 1:100,00 scale
whereas the cheaper Smiths version is 1:150,000 scale

For the sake of a week and £5 I'll get the camping version

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
But did you know that map is also sold under the truckers version & is cheaper (or was when I got mine a couple of years ago) exactly the same inside?

I always drive using Google maps & handwritten written directions :LOL:
View attachment 495274

Wouldn't be without ours,actually it's a bigger scale as well, always plan all our routes on a map,then we can remember where we've been 👍

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
:giggle: Nope but does yours show you wish roads are scenic and worth a drive down plus loads of other useful info ...

Today travelling from our first stop to where we are now the sat nav (tablet) lost the plot when we were surrounded by trees/hills etc so I was able to check the old map to see where we needed to be ... sat navs are great but there are times when you cannot beat a good map.

A satnav is superb at showing you where you are
A map is better for showing you where you want to go

I use both

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Does anyone know of a laminated atlas on which you can draw the planned route and then wipe clean when you've done it?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
A3 size? Opened up it would be almost as big as a duvet and you could sleep under it. :)

Dual purpose then

Fortunately with my trusty map I was able to tell hubby which way to go although today even he had a brain fart and ignored both me and the sat nav (we were both right) and turned the wrong way completely ... twice! :doh:

Might not be the satnag that needs replacing (and my husband has done that more than once as well).

Does anyone know of a laminated atlas on which you can draw the planned route and then wipe clean when you've done it?

I have copied the relevant sheets of the map and laminated them myself. It came in really handy when we did our Italian trip as I drew in the route and marked possible camperstops along the way. We also had the satnag but the map was useful for finding places to pull off the main route for rest stops and if there was anything that looked interesting not far off the route. With satnag only we would have missed a few sights or not known what they were as we drove past.

The satnag is great in built up areas or when driving solo but I really do like a "proper" map.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Years ago when sat navs first arrived on the scene we would tour France in a 36ft RV and navigation was pretty important. U Turns in rigs that long are to be avoided.

We had a brilliant combination of a sat nav for the immediate Left, Right Straight on, stuff but Siân would have Microsoft Autoroute open on a laptop and this would give us the big picture, with a reassuring red dot showing our precise location. When the Sat Nav tried to do a sneaky shortcut to save half a mile as they do, Siân could see straight away on Autoroute if the detour was dangerous or unnecessary and say no, stay on this road and the main road is next right.

We could emulate this now with Google Maps, but I certainly miss MS Autoroute, it was so good.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
My Garmin Zumo 660 (motorcycle satnav) liked to do that, and no matter what I told it to do if I went wrong it would direct me to the nearest motorway to get me to my destination. 🤷‍♂️

Very difficult to see the screen in sunlight as well.

I’ve now gone to the TomTom Rider 550…..much happier.(y)

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
But did you know that map is also sold under the truckers version & is cheaper (or was when I got mine a couple of years ago) exactly the same inside?

I always drive using Google maps & handwritten written directions :LOL:
View attachment 495274

We're still using the Philips Navigator my mum and dad brought us when we hit the road so to speak in 2009. Its not the trucking edition but still gives all the information we need, its a 1.5mile to the inch on the ring binder. Tried a sat nav in the early days but to me it takes the fun out of traveling. I love to sit looking, pondering over our route for the day.
I do admit though to using the phone mapping system when we are going somewhere in a town.
Only downside is that Emma says its heavy to have on her lap for long periods.

Don't think I could ever get rid of this one as theres a message written on the front inside cover from mum and dad.

Shawn

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Just ordered one off Amazon. £11.99p Delivery tomorrow. Hopefully will be able to find our way when the Sat Nag screws up.
Like a physical map as my navigator likes to see where we have come from and what direction we are heading..........and what's over there and over there. But i wouldn't leave the drive without 2 sat nags, waze, google maps and a compass.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
MH newbie but we owned a caravan previously.
We encountered 3 locations yesterday where the road must have originally been a T Junction or similar, but where it has been modified to be a left bend followed by a right bend a very short distance [50 metres max] later. Mrs SatNav, despite yet another map update on Saturday still says, 'At the end of the street, turn left and then sharp right' as we wallow round the bend ... My favourite was shortly after the Queensferry Crossing was opened and the SatNav showed my Pug 3008 sliding gracefully into the Forth; very good door seals, not a drop of water when we reached the far bank ... :ROFLMAO:

Steve
Updates are crazy. My app has tried to send me down roads that are still under construction.

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
I know every one is joshing but I like to have a good map as I mark on it which roads we travelling and where we've stopped for the night as it proves useful for future trips, I've done this for our foreign holidays for years and it helps us avoid going the same routes all the time so we see new things and also can revisit places we really enjoyed.
Nothing better than new roads. A697 heading south a recent favourite.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back