Anyone after a road map of Britain have a shuftie at this (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've put this on the 'This week I bought' thread but thought it worthy of having it's own in case people miss it on there, especially since many will be doing British tours this year:

Philips 2022 Big Easy to Read Britain - A3, Huge Scale 2.4 miles to 1 inch., Large Print Place Names, spiral bound

Our 2013 UK map isn't detailed enough at only 3.2 scale and it's well out of date anyway (hubby, who does the planning etc, didn't tell me we needed a new one! * :rolleyes: ) so due to us being in Wales at present we needed it now for our holiday travels so got it from a WH Smith shop and paid £14.99 but you can get it online delivered for £11.99.

www.whsmith.co.uk

2022 Philip's Big Easy to Read Britain Road Atlas: (A3 Spiral binding) (Philip's Road Atlases) | WHSmith

Order a 2022 Philip's Big Easy to Read Britain Road Atlas: (A3 Spiral binding) (Philip's Road Atlases) today from WHSmith. Delivery free on all UK orders over £10.
<Broken link removed> www.whsmith.co.uk

(* His penance was not being allowed to have an ice-cream! 😁)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I’m one of these people that have a compass in his head, years ago before satnavs I could get anywhere by having a quick shufftie at a map….

now I drive everywhere with sat-nav and wouldn’t have a clue where something was… I couldn’t do Europe without one…🤷🏼

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
I've put this on the 'This week I bought' thread but thought it worthy of having it's own in case people miss it on there, especially since many will be doing British tours this year:

Philips 2022 Big Easy to Read Britain - A3, Huge Scale 2.4 miles to 1 inch., Large Print Place Names, spiral bound

Our 2013 UK map isn't detailed enough at only 3.2 scale and it's well out of date anyway (hubby, who does the planning etc, didn't tell me we needed a new one! * :rolleyes: ) so due to us being in Wales at present we needed it now for our holiday travels so got it from a WH Smith shop and paid £14.99 but you can get it online delivered for £11.99.

www.whsmith.co.uk

2022 Philip's Big Easy to Read Britain Road Atlas: (A3 Spiral binding) (Philip's Road Atlases) | WHSmith

Order a 2022 Philip's Big Easy to Read Britain Road Atlas: (A3 Spiral binding) (Philip's Road Atlases) today from WHSmith. Delivery free on all UK orders over £10.
<Broken link removed> www.whsmith.co.uk

(* His penance was not being allowed to have an ice-cream! 😁)
Ordered - thanks very much

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Does it come with a charger?

How long does the battery last on a full charge?

Is it Bluetooth or WiFi?

Sorry about all the questions......I’ve never seen one of those.
:giggle: Nope but does yours show you wish roads are scenic and worth a drive down plus loads of other useful info ...

Today travelling from our first stop to where we are now the sat nav (tablet) lost the plot when we were surrounded by trees/hills etc so I was able to check the old map to see where we needed to be ... sat navs are great but there are times when you cannot beat a good map.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
A3 size? Opened up it would be almost as big as a duvet and you could sleep under it. :)
Whatever turns you on chuck, I prefer a material one myself.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Did you get an easy to read 1 because most if of the folk on here are really really old and decrepit with bad eyes? Just asking
Well I'm not really old and my eyesight isn't bad so in my case no :giggle: can't speak for the other poor old s*ds who've bought it though! :LOL:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I know every one is joshing but I like to have a good map as I mark on it which roads we travelling and where we've stopped for the night as it proves useful for future trips, I've done this for our foreign holidays for years and it helps us avoid going the same routes all the time so we see new things and also can revisit places we really enjoyed.

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We have a battered old map with. Campsites, Aires, chip Van's and picnic sites marked on it. Well used and could do with a new one. Would take hours to transfer info though.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not used a paper map for at least 12 years.
I know every one is joshing but I like to have a good map as I mark on it which roads we travelling and where we've stopped for the night as it proves useful for future trips, I've done this for our foreign holidays for years and it helps us avoid going the same routes all the time so we see new things and also can revisit places we really enjoyed.
We use autoroute with a GPS receiver does it for us

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I fear
No one can read a map anymore. If the USA switch off the satellites we'll all be knacked and no one will be going anywhere. Sad.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
My Father in Law insisted on having one of these when I used go on ten bob trips with him to keep him busy.
He loves being navigator and I love letting him. I still have my sat nav on low though, but yes always handy to have in the seat pouch.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I fear
No one can read a map anymore. If the USA switch off the satellites we'll all be knacked and no one will be going anywhere. Sad.
Sorry but I can... always have road map to hand and always plan route before leaving and then proceed to ignore Sally Sat Nav when she tries to take me down totally inappropriate route

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
I have a 2.5 mls per inch atlas which I've used since I bought it in 2008. Been looking for a replacement for a couple of years but can't get a SPIRAL BOUND one in A4 size, which is the one I have. There's only the "flexibound" ones which, contrary to the name, you can't fold back on itself.
Can't stand the bl**dy satnav!

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Try the CCC version of this atlas... even clearer 1.5mls to inch but also shows approved campsite locations but more importantly any height/width/weight restrictions on all routes.
We looked at that and another of the same scale but they are £10 more and more importantly heavier.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Try the CCC version of this atlas... even clearer 1.5mls to inch but also shows approved campsite locations but more importantly any height/width/weight restrictions on all routes.
But did you know that map is also sold under the truckers version & is cheaper (or was when I got mine a couple of years ago) exactly the same inside?

I always drive using Google maps & handwritten written directions :LOL:
IMG_20210511_091454.jpg

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Good morning,

I got one a few weeks ago but with campsites on. Its quite detailed

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
But did you know that map is also sold under the truckers version & is cheaper (or was when I got mine a couple of years ago) exactly the same inside?

I always drive using Google maps & handwritten written directions :LOL:
View attachment 495274

^^^^^ same here.

Using that Trucker's Atlas, decision made to use an alternative route on one occasion based on it having low bridges, therefore almost no HGVs coming the other way. More scenic as well as less stressful! :giggle:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Despite having a satnav running, plus a netbook with Autoroute and a sat receiver SWMBO always likes to have a map as well. We came across the Phillips offering a couple of years ago and found it much better than the others. They do a Europe version too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back