Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
Why, are they no good?
If you programme width, height,weight and know what width you are with mirrors folded or not, and use in conjunction with a good pre journey map read, are they useless?
Only as good as the data in the system and sometimes that data source doesn’t seem to know about low bridges and narrow roads. Need to be wary, do a bit of research and read the road ahead. The worse thing you can do is blindly follow the Sat Nav which some folks seem to do. I’ve encountered quite a few Motorhomers and tuggers in my part of Cornwall who’ve got themselves into difficulties and they all say something like “my Sat Nav didn’t warn me”!

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Beleave it or not the USA signed up to the metric system not long after we did.
Industry use metric it’s a world wide standered.
I work in a timber yard we use both.
You’d be lucky to get a proper 4x2 it’s 100 x 47mm regularised.
I was doing a job once running hording on concrete barriers, (no horizontal rails) drilled my uprights 150x100mm at 1.22m centres or 4ft to fit the boards.
Started boarding up and couldn’t figure out why I was running out, measured the boards they were 1.2m wide.
I have never since found a ply board at 1.2m wide?

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
O K. My input on metric versus imperial confusion. I and everyone, almost, reading this rides around on tyres which will be metric width and imperial diameter. Unless of course you have elderly vehicle on cross plies. And that is a world wide standard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Sometimes all you have to do is miss a sign, and in certain places which are not, or certainly weren’t, the best sign posted places it’s all to easy to go awry in a largish vehicle! I’ve posted this a couple of times on here
I took a lovely country lane in rural Ireland and started to worry when a very thin strip of grass appeared running down the middle of the road, this got bigger and bigger until after about an hour it was just grass, with no turning places I had to keep going, it took about four hours to do 15 miles, eventually arriving at a tarmac road at the side of a lock, it was then that I noticed the sign pointing to whence I had just come saying
“County Clare Footpath”
I’m a bit more careful now, but not much! :unsure:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
There’s one of those tight lanes in St Davids Wales. We went from far end up into St Ds, I know the place but had forgotten how much it tightens up and a sharp bend other end. We made it but only just!
That was a few years ago & no restriction signs.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13

<Broken link removed>

Brains
Feb 18, 2017 173 330 Greenwich, London, UKFunster No47,382MHHymer MLT 570Exp1986
Yesterday at 5:33 PM
  • Broken Link Removed
Themselves said:
You are correct. It’s always a chunk of 4x2 never 100x50. My local builders yard Meter sells sand by the shovelful.
Corrected that for you !
================================================================
My local builders yard Meter Metre sells sand by the shovelful.

Corrected that for you :whistle2: (yes I am aware of Rule 1)

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
For the over 60's ?
The teaching of the Imperial system (and £/S/D) was dropped from the official school cerriculum in September 1966.

(Some schools continued to teach it though, and suprisingly more schools taught it in the 1980's than in the 1970's !)

The contuined use of imperial measument continues to cause millions of pounds of damages every year.
The classic being the US$ 2 billion Mars Lander where NASA had specced the thrust required in KG and Lockheed assumed it was LB. Result is after a 6 month flight the craft crashed into Mars.

I was taught feet & inches at school, '79-'84, and with MH measurements of all kinds, well most measurements I suppose... I still divide by 2.5 then divide by 12.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
All the way through school we used imperial units. When I went to Uni in 1966 we were the first cohort to use metric measurements. That took a bit of getting used to.

I can still remember off by heart the number of feet in a metre, 3.2808. I was a civil engineer so we did not need to worry about getting it more accurate. As long as we got it in the right field ..............................

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
All the way through school we used imperial units. When I went to Uni in 1966 we were the first cohort to use metric measurements. That took a bit of getting used to.

I can still remember off by heart the number of feet in a metre, 3.2808. I was a civil engineer so we did not need to worry about getting it more accurate. As long as we got it in the right field ..............................

3.2808 for lengths and 35.315 for cubic's are still the conversion figures used in the maritime industry to this day.

It means I have to explain to software developers that whilst they could now convert it to 20 decimal places, dont do it as you will upset measurements that have been around before they were born.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Mr Stonemags is a joiner, and he uses a mixture of both imperial and metric, with to me no logic!
We all go down to the timber yard and ask for 4m of 4" x 2". :LOL:
Recently bought a sheet of 8' x 4' plywood, but of course it was labeled as 2440mm x 1220mm.
Been caught on that one a long time ago put the studding up for a dividing wall in my garage metric spacing, bleeding panels were imperial.:cry:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We all go down to the timber yard and ask for 4m of 4" x 2". :LOL:

Been caught on that one a long time ago put the studding up for a dividing wall in my garage metric spacing, bleeding panels were imperial.:cry:
I did that with ceiling joists for plasterboard. I was lowering a ceiling. Resolved by nailing battens to the side of appropriate joists. :eek:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've been in a lot of tighter streets than that original post ....I had both wing mirrors touching the wall on the road up to the castle in xativa spain , had A near miss in old town cartagena, few tight spots in portugal and a 1.8 metre bridge in france.

It's easily done at times so cant pass judgement on anyone

Luckily I got out of them all unscathed , the damage I've done to my van has been when theres plenty room

I dont think that first pic is that tight to be honest , the drive in my last house was much tighter I had 12mm to spare going down side of the house

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Started my apprenticeship using metric then secound year imperial (aircraft components)

Then back to metric years three and four ??

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
There is always an Emmet Dickhead that ignores the signs, and decides that those signs are not there for him/her to abide by. To get where he/she is in the Picture (Mevi) he/she has driven by 2 carparks that would accomodate his/her M/H, but no no! this braindead mini Einstein knows better, he/she wants to be parked on the quay, doesn't want to walk a few hundred meters.
Unfortuneately there are always people like him/her every week, the signs do not apply to him/her.

The pillocks, even with Caravans in tow, do this nearly every week in the season. I would not even take my Suzuki down there!
We use it as a short-cut to the pub over the hill never got stuck (yet)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
If you he/she didn't I bet you they wish they you did at the time "take out the damage waiver" when completing the hire agreement.
Slight correction to your comment. I would never be so daft :whistle2: :whistle2:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The first mistake for the MoHo's was not getting up enough speed, if they had they could have taken everything with them :eek: (y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
A few years ago we decided to visit a Cornish village in our motorhome. We passed the first car-park which was full and saw sign for a second one further along the road. When we got to it, it was also full.

Cars parked, lengthwise, between the official parking rows meant we couldn’t use it to turn around. We drove on looking for a place to turn only to be met by a very narrow street. We had no way of turning around and cars had followed on behind us, preventing reversing.

Our only option was to breath in, fold the mirrors and take it slowly. We got through OK but, as a result, I wouldn’t criticise anyone else for finding them selves in a tight stop. It’s not all caused by blind observance of SatNV units.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back