Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
a lot of RV's have rubber roofs

Looks a lot like the rubber roof paint you can get for RV's

RV Spares on ebay (search under American RV motorhomes.. he has hundreds of adds) .. lots of vehicles have it.

Bob

OP
OP
hdvrod

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Will have a look thanks, but was more looking to see if anyone had any experience of using it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Yes, we used it on the roof of our old MB608. Applied it a couple of years ago. Present custodian reports it's still like new. We've also used it to make waterproof coating for things like wiring joins etc.. Dip tool handles in it to give new nonslip handles etc. :thumb:

Plastikote.

OP
OP
hdvrod

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
another yes.. same stuff , two coats on a summers day :thumb:
Just started ..
Link Removed

Half way done
Link Removed

Job Done
Link Removed
Thanks Jim,would you recommend it? and was it neccesary to do 2 coats?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks Jim,would you recommend it? and was it neccesary to do 2 coats?

definitely recommend.. makes a super job.. it also seals any fine cracks in the mastic around the roof furniture..

number of coats would depend on how bad the roof is, but I would say yes, and give it two thin coats rather than a thick one.. it dries pretty fast, I did the two coats in the same afternoon .. as you can see from the second pic, mine was pretty bad..

also worth applying the proper rubber roof cleaner prior to painting, gets rid of the chalky dust and crud .. spray on , brush with a broom then hose off.. let dry, then paint.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
To avoid confusion from anyone not familiar with these coatings
I believe we are talking two entirely different products here.
The product in the OPs video is a two pack liquid rubber compound
the product used by the other posters is a single pack rubber coating (paint}
The very stuff the video chap refers to as the cheaper alternative that peeled off in sheets
For the record neither item is cheap I and he said cheaper :Doh:
Nothing at all wrong with either product as always the secret is the 3 Ps.
Preparation,Preparation,Peparation.
The lack of which was why he was able to peel it off, if done properly it will, as im sure Jim and others will testify stay put:thumb:

The two pack system is af course a superior product as it lays down a coating capable of fully repairing a very badly maintained roof is goes down millimeters thick as opposed to microns thick for the other product.

The common material (paint) is more of a renovation material than a repair product.as Jim states it will repair minor cracks only, not splits.
I suspect the two pack product to cost at least 8-10 times that of the paint,and the quantity needed is about five times the amount.

Two large tins will be enough for two really good coats with a small amount left over for the odd touch up, it will keep as it uses no activator in the mix, it just air dries
The two pack however as stated in the Video is about 25 ltrs aprox 5 galls and will go hard in the tin once mixed, the mixing ratio is usually critical but careful measurements mean you could if required only mix say half or a quarter of the tin at a time
Geo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
To avoid confusion from anyone not familiar with these coatings
I believe we are talking two entirely different products here.
The product in the OPs video is a two pack liquid rubber compound
the product used by the other posters is a single pack rubber coating (paint}
The very stuff the video chap refers to as the cheaper alternative that peeled off in sheets
For the record neither item is cheap I and he said cheaper :Doh:
Nothing at all wrong with either product as always the secret is the 3 Ps.
Preparation,Preparation,Peparation.
The lack of which was why he was able to peel it off, if done properly it will, as im sure Jim and others will testify stay put:thumb:

The two pack system is af course a superior product as it lays down a coating capable of fully repairing a very badly maintained roof is goes down millimeters thick as opposed to microns thick for the other product.

The common material (paint) is more of a renovation material than a repair product.as Jim states it will repair minor cracks only, not splits.
I suspect the two pack product to cost at least 8-10 times that of the paint,and the quantity needed is about five times the amount.

Two large tins will be enough for two really good coats with a small amount left over for the odd touch up, it will keep as it uses no activator in the mix, it just air dries
The two pack however as stated in the Video is about 25 ltrs aprox 5 galls and will go hard in the tin once mixed, the mixing ratio is usually critical but careful measurements mean you could if required only mix say half or a quarter of the tin at a time
Geo

Thanks for clarifying Geo ,..

I must confess to having not watched the video .. so my mistake for assuming it was the same product I had used.. :Blush:

That said, Plas-T-Coat (note spelling, that is the brand name ) is a good product and I would certainly recommend .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back