Anybody know how this happened (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
It looks too smooth a dent for an pellet from an air rifle. My guess would be that it was caused by a pebble or stone being thrown up from a passing vehicle on the road outside your drive.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
.177 pellet shot damage to 'LazyGarlick' tin cap with HW45 air pistol springer.
pellet damage.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It looks too smooth a dent for an pellet from an air rifle. My guess would be that it was caused by a pebble or stone being thrown up from a passing vehicle on the road outside your drive.
Thrown at exactly 90° to the passing car!
The van was parked on their drive, not parallel parked on the road.

See post #93 above.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Thrown at exactly 90° to the passing car!
The van was parked on their drive, not parallel parked on the road.

See post #93 above.

Paul said his vehicle was parked on his drive with the back facing the road. The damage is to the back of his vehicle. Stones can be thrown sideways from vehicles.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We were at a c&cc rally when a friends van received similar damage. We were sat outside enjoying a few beers when somebody in the next field fired a shotgun (at a fox he said). some of the pellets passed through the hedge and hit the side of my friends nearly new caravan. none punctured through the aluminium skin but left small round indentations, near identical to the OP

the holes got filled and the entire side resprayed with a new set of graphics to repair

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
We were at a c&cc rally when a friends van received similar damage. We were sat outside enjoying a few beers when somebody in the next field fired a shotgun (at a fox he said). some of the pellets passed through the hedge and hit the side of my friends nearly new caravan. none punctured through the aluminium skin but left small round indentations, near identical to the OP

the holes got filled and the entire side resprayed with a new set of graphics to repair
hope the idiot paid for the repairs?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Paul said his vehicle was parked on his drive with the back facing the road. The damage is to the back of his vehicle. Stones can be thrown sideways from vehicles.
Strange these two pics are almost identical.
A small stone would need a lot of volocity to do that impact depth and flicking from a tyre just wouldn't be enough.

image.jpeg
pellet damage.jpg

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Strange these two pics are almost identical.
A small stone would need a lot of volocity to do that impact depth and flicking from a tyre just wouldn't be enough.

View attachment 354428View attachment 354429

You may be right... I haven’t studied the velocity of small stones from a passing vehicle. However, I doubt there is an elliptical gun pellet in production!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You may be right... I haven’t studied the velocity of small stones from a passing vehicle. However, I doubt there is an elliptical gun pellet in production!
That would suggest to me that a round object came in at an angle to create the oval mark and then ricocheted off at a tangent.

Martin

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We had one years ago when we moved in to a new house & they were still building.Lorry went past & drove over a stone that was fired at 90º straight through the double glazed bay window. Only got through first pane & left a 1/2" bullet sized hole & just cracked inside pane . Stone was in the double glazed void.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It's a smooth dent 4 to 5 mm in diameter. I'm with the air gun theory. Find out which neighbour got one for Christmas.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
QUOTE! "these things can travel for a mile with a decent rifle..." wow ..an Air Rifle" :xeek: I must say that does rather surprises me. and I am very familiar with fire arms.
My Weihrauch .22 would put a hole in where it went in and bigger one where it came out! But I agree a mile is a stretch, half of a mile no problem.

Looks like stone damage to me, if the picture is the correct way up, it's come up at an angle.

Last edited:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

The person with the gun clearly had no idea of code of conduct whilst using a shot gun.

You should fire along hedge lines not towards them.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Doesn’t look like an air gun pellet to me. Even a low powered gun would have put a hole in the outer skin or the dent would have been perfectly round.
-Stones catapulted up from passing cars can easily cause a lot of damage.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
hope the idiot paid for the repairs?
The person with the gun clearly had no idea of code of conduct whilst using a shot gun.

You should fire along hedge lines not towards them.
Yes the idiot with the shotgun got in trouble with the police and landowner and the insurance from the farm paid for the repairs

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Many thanks to everyone for their replies and thoughts

The road is 7.10 metres to the kerb so a stone would have to travel at least 8 metres at such velocity to do it, maybe it could??

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

The road is 7.10 metres to the kerb so a stone would have to travel at least 8 metres at such velocity to do it, maybe it could??
That's around what the distance was on our smashed double glazing

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
It seems a long way from the road to be a stone, but I do know that stones can be flicked out sideways at a fair speed from a bike with high pressure tyres.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
pappajohn please tell me how to get a .gif file to show my ffing head slamming a brick wall. I've tried and failed:xsad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not sure if a GIF is an allowed file on the fun software.
You may have to save it to a hosting site and try posting a URL from there.
I usually abandon a file if it won't show on a post.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC

A few years ago my neighbour across the road was mowing his lawn when the mower flicked up a stone that flew across the road and my front garden before smashing through both panes of glass in my double glazed front door - a total distance of around 20 metres. So yes, I reckon it could.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
I flicked a stone with my mountain bike the other night made a hell of a bang when it hit something on the other side of the road, luckily it wasn't a car. So I reckon it was a stone.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Its exceptionally clear what caused this damage and especially as I have taken the time out and actually fired a lead pellet into a similar surface and photographed the result that shows a clear defined image identical to the OP's posted pic. This was the damage from a 0.177mm 8.44grain pellet at around 750 ft/sec approx' 11.5 ft/lbs from a distance of 3 metres.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Its exceptionally clear what caused this damage and especially as I have taken the time out and actually fired a lead pellet into a similar surface and photographed the result that shows a clear defined image identical to the OP's posted pic. This was the damage from a 0.177mm 8.44grain pellet at around 750 ft/sec approx' 11.5 ft/lbs from a distance of 3 metres.
I fully agree..... But you'll never convince the doubters and theorists.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back