Anybody know how this happened (1 Viewer)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
that depends how powerful the rifle is and the subsequent muzzle velocity but it would not be that far

Quote!
On average a . 177 air rifle has a range of about 400 yards (366 metres) but for some models, this distance can be slightly further.
One drawback of the .22 cal pellet is that it has the shortest range of the 3 calibers. The effective range of this caliber is around 45-50 yards depending on the pellet. However, you can get within 50 yards of most varmint so range should not be an issue.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I very much doubt it is an airgun pellet. At 10m a pistol or rifle pellet will tear a whole in and out of a alli can. Now I have no idea how thick the aluminium panel is, but I would expect more damage than that close up and yes I know of the polystyrene behind. Further, if it hit straight on then the rebound could be many yards away. Even on a ten metre range you often feel them coming back and why you should always wear eye protection, so unless you are lucky you won't find it. So as you live in the middle of nowhere, then maybe it was an accident from open land opposite, with a miss, these things can travel for a mile with a decent rifle and alternatively if they were outside your house then you might have even heard it go off. Now you are confused. :gum:
I doubt very much it was intentional Mike, the rifle could have been 100mtrs or more away and the shooter not giving any consideration as to where his/her pellet might end up.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
QUOTE! "these things can travel for a mile with a decent rifle..." wow ..an Air Rifle" :xeek: I must say that does rather surprises me. and I am very familiar with fire arms.
Surprises me too..... Maybe a true sport rifle, as in Olympic sport, but not your average BSA or Diane shop bought air rifle.
They are legally restricted to 12ftlb muzzle pressure unlike the BSA METEOR etc of 40 years ago.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I think it was probably little Tyler or Chardonnay trying out their Christmas bikes!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Surprises me too..... Maybe a true sport rifle, as in Olympic sport, but not your average BSA or Diane shop bought air rifle.
even the most powerful " Gamo Magnum" they zero at 30 / 40 meters although will travel a hell of a lot further but to get any sort of accuracy in grouping 50 meters...

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Have a .177 air rifle that I bought from the gun shop secondhand , chap said it had been “played with”!!
At about 30m pellet went straight through a fence panel, did panic as Mrs CCs car was the other side :whistle2: :whistle2:

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Have a .177 air rifle that I bought from the gun shop secondhand , chap said it had been “played with”!

So you now have a FAC rated gun with no licence i would take it back to the shop if i were you or hand it in to the police

Unless you hold a valid FAC ticket like i do you should not own that rifle

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear about the damage mate.

Give this guy a call (Mark from Dent-Tek) on 07852 953460.

Broken Link Removed

Nicky and I have used him twice before to remove the dents from a small car and also from my pimped-up Landrover Defender after they both received hail damage.

He'll be able to advise.

All the best,

Andrew

My guess is that it won't work. Dent removal on cars works due to it being steel which can be manipulated. I suspect the rear of the van is alumium which I don't think dent removal works on?
I could be wrong though.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
So you now have a FAC rated gun with no licence i would take it back to the shop if i were you or hand it in to the police

Unless you hold a valid FAC ticket like i do you should not own that rifle

Had it for about 6 years so bit late now.
only use it in the garden every now and then.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Put a sticker over it. Seems like GB stickers will be coming back into fashion any time soon.

That'd have my vote too.
Aluminium is notoriously difficult to repair.
We had a brand new twin axle caravan which was dented a few years ago, so I bought a genuine makers chrome badge & applied it carefully & you'd never have known that there had been anything wrong.

I'm about to do the same to our motorhome which has GRP sides, we believe that the guy who did our house roof repairs knocked it with a ladder, so I'm going to fill it, then apply????? You've guessed it, a genuine makers chrome badge.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
do you carry fishing rods that stick out the front, more Scotland than North Yorks, but just wondered :whistle2:

I would be disappointed but over it as quickly, by next weekend you will have hopefully nearly forgotten (y)

IMO not worth the cost of repair, or worse, the risk of actually highlighting a bigger area

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
If you fire an air rifle up in to the air how far can the pellet travel then , just out of curiosity.
if your aim is perfectly vertcal, the missile will descend and hit you where you stand. If you fire a 0.177 lead pellet 4.5mm dia, 8.4grains at a 45degree angle at 12 ft/lbs legal max( none fac) probablly anything up to 120yds.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
do you carry fishing rods that stick out the front, more Scotland than North Yorks, but just wondered :whistle2:

I would be disappointed but over it as quickly, by next weekend you will have hopefully nearly forgotten (y)

IMO not worth the cost of repair, or worse, the risk of actually highlighting a bigger area

I hope so David but not convinced, will wash and polish the rear panel tomorrow and see the damage, it was really clean today though when I noticed it.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I think it may have being done by a gun that fires plastic pellets.The are quite lethal and do explode on contact .leaving no trace .

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
So what caused the dent then?

Yes that's what I'd love to know, how can it just appear, the middle of nowhere, up on the moors, no kids round here

It wasn't there before so it's not from a truck/stone damage on the road

It looks like a gun pellet or the tip of a brolley brayed hard against it etc.

It's a mystery, could a bird have flown into it, a crow, bird of prey, etc

I saw a Hen Harrier yesterday.

I have to put it down to malicious damage, ie, someone has pulled up outside in a car and deliberately damaged it.

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
BB gun or air rifle is my guess... anyone objecting to your garage plan application..?

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
No kids round here and far far too high on the rear panel
I had a similar mark on one of my vans and that was too high until a neighbour told me that some local wildlife were doing 'wheelies' along the pavement

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
BB gun or air rifle is my guess... anyone objecting to your garage plan application..?

Yes that's already crossed my mind, I don't think so though although you never know
Fingers crossed should hear the council said roughly middle of January

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Air rifle or pistol, dent is very defined and what ever did it must have had a fair bit of power to do that
No bird or seagul dropping stuff on it wouldn't do that its a gun of some sort in my opinion

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I doubt very much it was intentional Mike, the rifle could have been 100mtrs or more away and the shooter not giving any consideration as to where his/her pellet might end up.

Indeed Uncle PPJ you are correct, I also thought similar. That is the trouble with hobby type shooters they never think correctly, and rarely consider the need for a back stop.

They are legally restricted to 12ftlb muzzle pressure unlike the BSA METEOR etc of 40 years ago.

My Feinwerkbau model 800, a true sport rifle, at 0.177, is insanely accurate standing, at a relatively short range of 10m and has next to no kick. Where as, my Weihrauch HW100, a field target rifle, will zero on a suspended golf ball at 60m, on a rest, at .177 and fully charged, and will occasionally go supersonic. Even that tiny pellet will give out a grand crack as it does so. I was always taught and now myself teach one mile, in open air, to be sure.

No.2 son can see the air disturbance of the pellet as it flies, to guide this old boy onto target. :rofl:

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Problem is though a GB sticker or reflector stuck in the middle of the rear panel, it won't look right

A bit of filler and then a good paint job?

I would use silicone applied with a wet credit card to fill hole then then put a sticker on it
I can highly recommend this one lol

ED07F3B7-AFF0-4273-9F8C-8CA12304230F.png

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I had a similar dent at the back of my van which was parked right up my drive then a few weeks later I had another dent at the same height , after much investigation it turned out that my short sighted old neighbour was pushing our empty wheelie bin back up the drive after being emptied back up our drive until it would not go any further :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back