Anybody know how this happened (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi CazPaul

What a bummer, we collected one like that just after we got our Flair, we were parked at Peterborough actually and right next to where everybody walked through with their umbrellas so that was my theory, on our old Merc we also had something very similar and that was an air gun pellet I am sure coming over the M62 and scared the sh-t out of the person sat right next to it.

I hid the one on the Flair with a reflector, so reflector or GB sticker would be my suggestion as I don't think you will get anywhere pulling the dent as as you say its a bonded panel.

Martin

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry to hear of the damage

sadly you wont be pulling that dent out it will need proper filling and then painting to match.

was the rear of the van facing open ground / the street / your property? just to get an idea if it could have been an object thown etc.

if that was an air rifle pellet or,, whatever missile did it; it probably would have rebounded a little so may well be lurking on the floor nearby, maybe worth a look .

Thanks, the rear of the van is directly facing the road

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I've got a couple of similar, although not quite as deep, dents in the side panels (both sides!), one of which I know was a brick thrown at us.

Decided to leave them be until I'm ready to move it on, then maybe have a word with the dent fixer guys. Or maybe get it done in Morocco, they're pretty good at this sort of thing.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
How bloody annoying for you. I’d be slightly cautious of kicking up a fuss on face though in case it makes you more of a target.

Do you think it happened at home or whilst you were driving?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
it does not look as if the paint has been punctured from the photo, if that is the case then there is little risk of the ally panel oxidising and lifting the surrounding paint.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
How bloody annoying for you. I’d be slightly cautious of kicking up a fuss on face though in case it makes you more of a target.

Do you think it happened at home or whilst you were driving?

Home as we haven't used van for 7 weeks it's been parked on the drive, we live in the bloody middle of nowhere too, Grrr

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
It's a bit eliptical to be an airgun pellet but possibly is, if it had been fired from my gun the pellet would have been inside your van. I would be raging too if it had happened to my van.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hi CazPaul

What a bummer, we collected one like that just after we got our Flair, we were parked at Peterborough actually and right next to where everybody walked through with their umbrellas so that was my theory, on our old Merc we also had something very similar and that was an air gun pellet I am sure coming over the M62 and scared the sh-t out of the person sat right next to it.

I hid the one on the Flair with a reflector, so reflector or GB sticker would be my suggestion as I don't think you will get anywhere pulling the dent as as you say its a bonded panel.

Martin

Problem is though a GB sticker or reflector stuck in the middle of the rear panel, it won't look right

A bit of filler and then a good paint job?

Last edited:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Go large or stay home? xroll:

C2A5ABB1-0E29-44C5-930C-0FE342EDFA97.jpeg

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Wait till the spring and get it filled and sprayed, we met a couple that had got stone damage to their Concorde and he said he wasn't worried as he would get a bodyshop to do the above.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
a decent body / paint shop will "key" the filler well to the panel, then you should not see the dent.

as i mentioned earlier if the paint is not damaged there is no hurry , however annoying it is,,

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Regards a sticker it all depends where the damage is on the panel, a sticker 3ft up from the bumper and two thirds the way across would look a bit daft.

Do you have a photo of the whole back panel to show where the damage is on the panel.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Regards a sticker it all depends where the damage is on the panel, a sticker 3ft up from the bumper and two thirds the way across would look a bit daft.

Do you have a photo of the whole back panel to show where the damage is on the panel.

Yes I agree the damage is in the right middle area of the rear panel and a sticker wouldn't look right.
Can't get a photo of the whole area until tomorrow

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I would possibly leave it for now but my OCD would possibly get the better of me and i would end up getting it repaired.

I personally would have it repaired then have the whole rear panel painted so you could not see the repair.
This would be better as even if there was a very slight colour difference you would not notice it as it is at 90° to your side panels

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I’d be surprised if you can pull that out as Ali is strange stuff to work.

Filling and spraying would probably work better.

Id probably put a sticker over it or a bigger vinyl “scene”

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You have not got something like rooks near you. Them and sea gulls sometimes drop nuts or shells at a target to break open for food. Have seen the gulls do it with shell fish up at hunny and rooks on a tv program.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
You have not got something like rooks near you. Them and sea gulls sometimes drop nuts or shells at a target to break open for food. Have seen the gulls do it with shell fish up at hunny and rooks on a tv program.

not unless they can drop it sideways it is in the vertical rear panel

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I very much doubt it is an airgun pellet. At 10m a pistol or rifle pellet will tear a whole in and out of a alli can. Now I have no idea how thick the aluminium panel is, but I would expect more damage than that close up and yes I know of the polystyrene behind. Further, if it hit straight on then the rebound could be many yards away. Even on a ten metre range you often feel them coming back and why you should always wear eye protection, so unless you are lucky you won't find it. So as you live in the middle of nowhere, then maybe it was an accident from open land opposite, with a miss, these things can travel for a mile with a decent rifle and alternatively if they were outside your house then you might have even heard it go off. Now you are confused. :gum:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
QUOTE! "these things can travel for a mile with a decent rifle..." wow ..an Air Rifle" :xeek: I must say that does rather surprises me. and I am very familiar with fire arms.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I very much doubt it is an airgun pellet. At 10m a pistol or rifle pellet will tear a whole in and out of a alli can. Now I have no idea how thick the aluminium panel is, but I would expect more damage than that close up and yes I know of the polystyrene behind. Further, if it hit straight on then the rebound could be many yards away. Even on a ten metre range you often feel them coming back and why you should always wear eye protection, so unless you are lucky you won't find it. So as you live in the middle of nowhere, then maybe it was an accident from open land opposite, with a miss, these things can travel for a mile with a decent rifle and alternatively if they were outside your house then you might have even heard it go off. Now you are confused. :gum:

We live up on the moors, where they shoot grouse. Stray shot?
But they use different ammunition?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If you fire an air rifle up in to the air how far can the pellet travel then , just out of curiosity.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back