Anybody know how this happened (1 Viewer)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Its exceptionally clear what caused this damage and especially as I have taken the time out and actually fired a lead pellet into a similar surface and photographed the result that shows a clear defined image identical to the OP's posted pic. This was the damage from a 0.177mm 8.44grain pellet at around 750 ft/sec approx' 11.5 ft/lbs from a distance of 3 metres.
If your HW45 is putting out 11.5 ft/lbs , I hope you have a firearms certificate as the legal limit in Britain for a pistol is only 6 ft/lbs.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
If your HW45 is putting out 11.5 ft/lbs , I hope you have a firearms certificate as the legal limit in Britain for a pistol is only 6 ft/lbs.
You are correct, my HW45 on full power only puts out max at 5.5ft/lbs, sorry for quoting my TX200:cry:. The actual test was made with my HW45. My TX200 would have probably gone straight through!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You are correct, my HW45 on full power only puts out max at 5.5ft/lbs, sorry for quoting my TX200:cry:. The actual test was made with my HW45. My TX200 would have probably gone straight through!!
From 10ft, yes..... But the pellet which caused the damage could have travelled 50mtr, 75mtrs, 100mtrs.....who knows.
Who's to say it even came from a legal air gun.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
From 10ft, yes..... But the pellet which caused the damage could have travelled 50mtr, 75mtrs, 100mtrs.....who knows.
Who's to say it even came from a legal air gun.
I once popped a magpie @ 120yd with my legal Walther LG300 Dominator, was a very fluke shot as it was out of view in my scope.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I once popped a magpie @ 120yd with my legal Walther LG300 Dominator, was a very fluke shot as it was out of view in my scope.
I once got a rabbit at around that distance (edit... Rose tinted glasses maybe) with my old BSA Meteor.. Long before the mambies set a max spring power.
Went across its neck just behind the ears... Stunned it long enough for me to get there and stretch its neck.
That was fluke... I had no tele sights.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Its exceptionally clear what caused this damage and especially as I have taken the time out and actually fired a lead pellet into a similar surface and photographed the result that shows a clear defined image identical to the OP's posted pic. This was the damage from a 0.177mm 8.44grain pellet at around 750 ft/sec approx' 11.5 ft/lbs from a distance of 3 metres.
A could of points here... You haven't fitted a pellet into a similar material at all... Your glass jar lid is steel and I'm assuming it has the rubber type backing to avoid contacting the food? Your comment pertaining to knowing the ammunition weight from one photo is complete nonsense you shoot a piece of metal which, suprise suprise, made a round dent, you are them composing this to another picture of a round dent and claiming this is the only possible answer. As regards to the range, are you then claiming that someone climbed over the OP's gate with an air rifle, walked to roughly the metres away, shot his motor home, the climbed back over the gate and walked away?? Sounds a bit far fetched to me.
Regarding my comments about the ammo etc, I've been an active shooter for over 35 years and am a fully qualified armourer.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
A could of points here... You haven't fitted a pellet into a similar material at all... Your glass jar lid is steel and I'm assuming it has the rubber type backing to avoid contacting the food? Your comment pertaining to knowing the ammunition weight from one photo is complete nonsense you shoot a piece of metal which, suprise suprise, made a round dent, you are them composing this to another picture of a round dent and claiming this is the only possible answer. As regards to the range, are you then claiming that someone climbed over the OP's gate with an air rifle, walked to roughly the metres away, shot his motor home, the climbed back over the gate and walked away?? Sounds a bit far fetched to me.
Regarding my comments about the ammo etc, I've been an active shooter for over 35 years and am a fully qualified armourer.
Only 35 years ! :rofl::rofl:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
See post 124.
Youre assuming it was 3mtrs.... It could have been 30 or 50 or even 100.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
See post #119. I'm not the one assuming any range whatsoever.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Only 35 years ! :rofl::rofl:
Indeed, and in only 35 years I've been a competitive youth sporting and skeet shooter, a shooting instructor for a number of clubs, a member of the Royal Navy full bore target rifle team, competing in both tri-service and national competitions in the 900 yard open sight discipline, a small arms maintainer onboard 1 RN frigate and two RN nuclear submarines as well as a fully qualified armourer. Absolutely terrible aren't I :wasntme:

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011

So where were you with your gun when the incident occurred?
Just wondering cos some offenders crave attention. Ha ha

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back