Any vegans on here at all? (2 Viewers)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Tina across the road from us is vegetarian, her cat and two dogs are fed on veggie diets, they don't look too bad on it but if our door is open, Suzy her cat will wolf down our cat's meat based food in an instant.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We are hunters, look at where our eyes are for heavens sake........then look at where the eyes are on prey animals....yes I know a Lion would happily eat us, but the general rule still applies.

We also have teeth that are made to eat a variety of foods. We do not have multiple stomachs and our appendix is vestigial. We also don't re-digest our food by producing cecotropes and eating them as rabbits do.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Can't eat bread as there are insect residue in it ?? Mice have died when combines drove over them. Vegetable sprayed with pesticides to KILL insects. It get too much after a time. Just get on with life.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
SWMBO is vegetarian, which is not as 'severe' as veganism and it's hard enough trying to get through to cafes and other eateries on the continent that fish and other creatures that had faces are a no no. Incredulous looks. Usually she ends up with an omelette or pasta. It must be harder for a vegan. Must admit that I baulk at frogs and snails though. Answer? Take your own stuff in the van.

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
Good on you Jac-Sprat for your beliefs, I suppose you must get used to the derisory comments ,much easier for them to follow the herd. Bah

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Daughter-in-law won't use plates, cutlery or pans if she even thinks they have been near meat.
Have you asked why ?
I wonder if she's concerned about cjd and the risk of contamination/infection ?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I don't mean this to be rude, but it sounds more like an OCD problems that is fueled by her desire to avoid animals by-products.
I thought the same,,,does she not touch herself or her family because lets face it we are just meat,,ask a lion or a shark,,,BUSBY..

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Have you asked why ?
I wonder if she's concerned about cjd and the risk of contamination/infection ?

I don't mean this to be rude, but it sounds more like an OCD problems that is fueled by her desire to avoid animals by-products.

I'm pretty sure it is her OCD.

She does eat in restaurants so whether she thinks they have different implements for vegetarian and meat eaters I am not sure. I don't think you are rude at all - I think it is ridiculous (her hang ups and attitude not vegan or vegetarian diets).

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Am the grandmother of 2 vegan grandchildren and 1 grandson with galactosaemia, (doesn't make the enzyme to digest dairy products) also 4 ovnivore grandchildren, much easier to feed the eat anything except mushrooms, courgettes and aubergine that is non animal vegans, than 2 of the omnivores who are a nightmare to feed because they are so fussy.
I am happy to cook for whatever diet is needed, don't expect my son to cook meat or fish for me but then I do enjoy my few days of animal free food.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Sorry but any thing that grows on this planet is alive so no matter what you eat you kill something, thing is you choose which!

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
What a thread!

Isn't the point just more that it's everyone's personal choice what they do or don't eat and frankly it's no one else's business to comment on that. The problems come when they try to impose their views on others, be they committed carnivores preaching at veggies to lighten up & have a bacon butty, or the most strict of vegans preaching for everyone to knit their own organic soya yoghurt whilst wearing tie-dyed hessian.

Anyway, can't help too much on the OP's question, except that in much of Europe being veggie is difficult enough, let alone vegan.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I fully expect to have to make a lot of my own food as long as I can always get fresh or frozen fruit and veg and grains I'll be fine with carrying my own seeds and nuts. No doubt there'll be an app like camper contact with vegan hot spots on. I'll have to see where the two intersect. First destination Berlin. Which claims to have the most vegan eating places in Europe. :)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Good, because Germany as a whole are committed meat eaters! I went to the pig museum in Stuttgart last week - don't ask! - apparently the averageGerman now eats 40kg of pork per year, which if you go in the supermarkets won't surprise you.

Most of the supermarkets in Germany are of the budget variety, Lidl or Aldi or Netto mostly, but all have a decent selection of fresh veg but you do tend to only see that which is in season, especially with fruit. Definitely less choice than in a typical UK supermarket.

Even as a meat eater, not being overly keen on the huge variety of preserved meats and sausages that the Germans love, I do find the food choice a bit restricted here.

In the more cosmopolitan areas such as Berlin I think you'll be fine, outside of there and the other big cities and I think you'll be pretty much 100% cooking for yourself and you will find the ingredients available more restricted than at home.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks. I think there'll be a lot of frozen veg like we have here. I've only recently discovered they tend to be more nutritious and cheaper than fresh. Trouble is freezer space is limited in our van.
Anyone know if a 12 volt freezer exists?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I have no issues with vegetarians or vegans but it is not a lifestyle I could adopt. I suffer from Crohn's Disease and eat a high protein, low fibre diet, digesting fibre is hard for me though I cannot eat steaks either. It does amuse me though when I see 'Veggie Burgers' and 'Milk Substitutes', a burger is a burger, and not having drunk milk since I was three, or eaten cheese either, I find milk is not required as part of an adult diet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back