Any tips running solar charge lead to engine battery on X250 (1 Viewer)

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
So, I have the solar panel and entry box sikaflexed in to place, controller installed in wardrobe with charge cable running to the leisure battery all installed.

So just got to run cable to engine battery.

About to pull off engine battery cover to see if any convenient entry point. We have a rear lounge so no convenient bed box on route to cab so looks like I will have to run cable underneath.

Not keen on drilling a hole in the floor of living so tempted to use one of the two ventilation holes under wardrobe. Would not block hole but would reduce area by 20% approx.

All good fun but last thing to do before we set off on Friday morning for two weeks.

Paul

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
What about using one of those Battery Masters?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Would it be easier to find a 12V starter battery connection on the back of your control module or even the fridge if it is permanently fed from the engine battery.

Martin

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Pretty much ran mine through the back of the cupboards, from the back of the van right to the front and then dropped under the seats and to the batteries. It took quite a while to do it correctly, probably spent something like:

1hr to secure panel
1hr to carry out electrical connections
4hrs running the cable

In our van there is a cable tunnel behind the cupboards but you need hands the size of a 5 year old and arms the length of a Gorilla to work in there, I couldn't find any 5yrs old Gorillas.....

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Still need to run the cable for it though.

Martin

Maybe easier to run the cable to the split charge relay? It's been working great for me even over the winter months here in Scotland and I have 100w panel :)

Edit, sorry you'll no need to run a cable as it connects to the split charge relay sending the excess power back along existing cable :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
In the end ran cable along the chassis and drilled a hole in to battery box under footwell.

Plastic battery box was s bit deceiving, although plastic from the inside and outside there was a layer of metal in between.

Hadn't thought of wiring in to split charger or back of panel but at least this way I know it has gone direct to battery.

All done know and ready for some sun on the morning.

Cheers for your ideas

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I assume your solar charge controller has provision to connect to two different batteries.

Obviously you are not just connecting the engine battery and your leisure battery to a single battery connector on the solar controller...

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back