Any Tips for a newbie most welcome (1 Viewer)

Jun 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
We have just put deposit down on a Swift Bolero 680 and really excited to set off on our motorhome journey.

I remember buying a speedboat many years ago and that was a very very steep learning curve. One engine later I eventually got the hang of it.

We have spent many years camping but owning a motorhome is pretty daunting thought.

What things do we need to learn very fast?
Where will we go wrong?
What extras are really important?
Any tips, advice etc are greatly appreciated.

Excited much

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
Lesson two....make lists. One for what you need to take. Now I am a Virgo with OCD so my lists would include the menu and even have salt and pepper listed. You get the idea?
Then another to use whilst away to list the things you did forget 🙂

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Film your handover and read the manual like it’s the only book you’ll ever read, and join the Funsters,,it is a mine of information with far more knowledgeable people than me,they helped me start my journey,,,never looked back,,,,by the way, hello and welcome (y) (y) (y) (y)

Oct 20, 2016
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 625
Exp
Since 2016 and caravanning before that
See I hadn't put "say hi" on my list so

:hiya:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Lesson 1 - pay your subs (£15 for the year) opens up all of MotorhomeFun, you can then post as much as you like and receive loads of advice.
Lesson 2 - get to know your payload so you don’t run overweight. (Most important)

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
We have just put deposit down on a Swift Bolero 680 and really excited to set off on our motorhome journey.

I remember buying a speedboat many years ago and that was a very very steep learning curve. One engine later I eventually got the hang of it.

We have spent many years camping but owning a motorhome is pretty daunting thought.

What things do we need to learn very fast?
Where will we go wrong?
What extras are really important?
Any tips, advice etc are greatly appreciated.

Excited much
Water is a precious necessity, don’t want to waste it on your loo.
power is also a precious necessity so are 12v to the hilt, be careful with the lights etc (unless on hookup of course).
Don’t leave the toilet cassette to the last minute before emptying.
always dispose of toilet water/grey water in the correct place. On a site it will be obvious, if you’re not sure don’t be afraid to ask as people would rather give advice than see you using the fresh water area for cleaning your loo.

Make sure you get your van level’ ish it makes for a more comfortable rest, without that boat feeling. Also failing to level can impact on your water/fridge working properly.

Make sure you get a good routine for packing everything away (use cloths or something similar to stop things rattling together, as this can be a real annoyance).

Don’t overpack as not only does that mean your carrying weight you don’t need it also impact on your payload allowance. You don’t want to go over.. ever.

Get a decent sat nav which allows you to put your vehicle dimensions in to avoid those uber tight roads. I use copilot works great and costs very little compared to a Garmin for example.

Remember it’s not a car so speed is not the important factor, get it comfy and enjoy the ride!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shadowfax

Free Member
Nov 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Low Top
Exp
Since 2020
Hi. We’re only just ahead of you. Bought a MH last October but due to pandemic couldn’t use it until April. Good decision joining this site. Lots of good tips to be picked up.

One tip that we followed was to take it to a site that wasn’t too far away for a few days first to check everything out, find out how everything works, and that it all does actually work. We also bought a little temp/ humidity device so we could keep an eye on that when not using it.

We’re lucky enough to be able to store it on the drive but it doesn’t stop anxiety when you’re away from home. So we also set up Ring cameras/doorbell and a small tracking device. Just for peace of mind when not at home so we can check it from time to time.

Hope you have as much fun as we’re having.

Oldchappers

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
Hi. We’re only just ahead of you. Bought a MH last October but due to pandemic couldn’t use it until April. Good decision joining this site. Lots of good tips to be picked up.

One tip that we followed was to take it to a site that wasn’t too far away for a few days first to check everything out, find out how everything works, and that it all does actually work. We also bought a little temp/ humidity device so we could keep an eye on that when not using it.

We’re lucky enough to be able to store it on the drive but it doesn’t stop anxiety when you’re away from home. So we also set up Ring cameras/doorbell and a small tracking device. Just for peace of mind when not at home so we can check it from time to time.

Hope you have as much fun as we’re having.
Did the same. Also if you’re fortunate enough to be able to park on the drive and hook up. Worth getting a radiator to plug in and keep at a nice ambient temp over the winter months. Don’t use the heater in the MH as wearing out the elements can be expensive.
bought ours from Amazon for about £20.

Nov 16, 2012
Hedge End
Funster No
MH
Bilbo's Nexa
Exp
Since 2012
Welcome! Enjoy, and don't hesitate to ask questions - we all had to learn the basics, and we're all still learning!

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Weekend on the garden will let you know what you need, and if you have forgotten anything not too far to get it. Another + for chill out. Do leave the keys indoors if your gonna have a tipple😂

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back