Any tips and ideas for eally inexpensive couple of weeks in Brittany? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 36503
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
Never having used Aires or even all that many municipal sites I am somewhat pensive about my planned 2 to 3 week visit to Brittany next March.

As a 'tugger' we only ever used proper sites and of course these are mostly charging quite high nightly fees for some pretty lousy services and facilities, so this time we are really wanting to hammer down the costs and are hoping to use Aires.

Do any of you kind souls have any tips and advice for our trip next year in early March?

Our self built 'Millie' is very fully equipped so we are totally self supporting when it comes to electricity and will only (normally) need to top up the water tank about every 2nd day.

Many thank

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Are you asking for a really inexpensive trip?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Brittany should be listed as a FAQ in this forum. Here's some previous responses - the month in the title is largely irrelevant.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/brittany-in-september.113702/

Also worth mentioning that a lot of French campsites will be shut before Easter anyway, so aires may be your only option in some places.

It will work out cheapest to take the Dover-Calais ferry and drive, using aires on the way there and back. If you don't mind doing the distance, Fougeres is a good first stop after Calais.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Cheapest way is to find the free aires and stop on them. There will be plenty of space in early March and quite a few will have free water ( assuming its turned on by then) We have stopped in aires in villages where the water was turned off. A quick trip to the Marie and many will turn the water on and allow you to fill up.
We have travelled all around France in the winter and as long as you are careful with water, you should be able to fill up regularly. Waste disposal is easy and can be done on all aires even if the service point is locked up, just use your grey water to help rinse out the toilet cassette
Travelling to Brittany from Calais can be pricey if you use toll roads. Its just as easy to avoid them, and get better scenery. The one toll road you may need to use if Boulogne to Abbeville, alternative routes can be long winded, but if you don't mind travelling down the coast road, there are some lovely places to explore.

And even better, no toll roads in Brittany!

There I've just saved you a fortune!

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Buzzy-Beans,
This was our trip in sept also check out the photo's in my showcase
We had a great time 16 nights cost 47 euro's , 14 aire's -- 2 municipal's
Hermanville ---- free + free services
Fougeres ---free + free services
Campeneac ---- free + free services
St Gildas de Rhuys --- 6 euro
Clohars-Carnoet municipal c/site --- 14 euro
Plogoff ---free --- + free services in village
Caramet ser Mer -- 6 euro
Bourg Blanc -- free + free services
Lampoul Plourazel --- 4 euro
Briganon Plages -- Cote de Legendes C/site -- 17 euro
Tregier -- free -- no services
St Cast de Guildo -- free no services
St Andre des Eaux -- free + free services
Lehon aire -- free + Free services
Cerisy en Foret -- free + free services
Port en Bessin -- free

Can't wait for next year !!!!

if you need gps just ask.
Terry & Ann

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
As your the west side of uk would it be better to go Brittany ferries rather then drive all the way across to Dover , the ferry might be cheaper but the extra mileage involved is it viable.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
Thanks for all of your replies which I am gradually going through.............. I must say there are some brilliant suggestions.

As for the method of crossing the Channel, it will have to be by the Tunnel as Buzzy-Beans, his big brother Ollie and sister Skye always travel with us in the same vehicle and we will never leave them unattended in the car on even the shortest ferry crossing........... Happily Mr TESCO has already paid for our 2 return Channel crossings this year!

Buzz-Sky-Ollie.jpg

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
Hi Buzzy-Beans,
Hermanville ---- free + free services
Can't wait for next year !!!!

if you need gps just ask.
Terry & Ann

Hello Terry&Ann; what a truly brilliant album you have put up of your beautiful trip to Brittany last year.

May I ask which Hermanville was it as there are several of them?

The only downside of your album was to view it took an absolute age as our line speed up here in the wildest wilds of remote Powys is on 0.200 mbps on a quite good day and on some it can be a lot slower, but there isn't anything BT are willing to do about it!!

All the very best

Phil

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Buzzy-Beans

You will not struggle for an inexpensive holiday in Britanny. Get yourself the All the Aires book or/and download CamperContacts on your phone, iPad, whatever. There are so many Aires to choose from, if when you get there you don't like it there will be another one just up the road.

If you like the coast there are some wonderful beaches where those lively looking spaniels can go crazy. Take some good windproof clothes as some of them can be a bit windswept but that keeps the masses off, not that there will be many people about at that time of year.

You will have a great time I am sure.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 36503

Deleted User
but if you don't mind travelling down the coast road, there are some lovely places to explore.

And even better, no toll roads in Brittany!

There I've just saved you a fortune!

Thanks for that Allan; yes on leaving the Tunnel I plan to get across to the coast as fast as I can and then to steadfastly follow the narrowest of roads all the way heading South.
If the route proves to be as good as I hope it will turn out to be, I plan to be following exactly the same initial part of the route in September but then not turning right into Brittany but to keep on heading South and then West across the North coast of Spain and then onwards down into Portugal.

Many thanks

Phil

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hermanville is €5 a night & free servicing, but they don't always come round to collect the money.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Phil,
I can't provide any definite Aire locations etc as I rarely bother to note anything except general areas of my travels but, on a basic level I can honestly say that I never plan on any overnight stay as I never know exactly where I am going to be.
I always found somewhere, and managed to tell the tale.
Have FUN.
Norman.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
March a bit early for Brittany if you want hslf a chance of decent weather

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Phil,
Hermanville sur mer about 4 miles from Oustreham , it was free when we were there (free water) in september,its in a small car park behind the village shops , boulangerie etc.

Last edited:
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Phil,
As you are going via Calais, When we use that route , there's a free aire at Saint Saire old station free water, or we stay at St Nicolas de Bliquetuit aire on the banks of the Seine free (bit rural ) but no services any more! We use St Nic to spend the night also to avoid Rouen by going via Yvetot .
Then head down to Fougere aire opposite the Castle also some nice walks around the quarry or castle.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We just got back last month from two weeks in France apart from fuel and food we spent abut 46 euros on airs the rest were free.
No specific plan take each day as it comes and you will have a grate time
bill
Remember a good traveller has no set destination stolen from jim

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
You will never be far from an aire in Brittany, especially out of season. Some are free, some charge a few euros. Of those that charge we saw automated machines to pay by card, machines which took coins, for some you need tokens which you buy from a local shop or the Marie and some which rely on someone collecting the money. Out of season the rules seem to be relaxed and you often see motorhomes parked up in areas where it says no overnight parking. There are plenty of secluded spots on the north coast of Brittany. I downloaded campercontact to my gps but we did find a couple of aires we aimed for appeared to be no longer there, but no problem as there is always another one nearby.
Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back