Any thoughts on how brexit will affect full timing,? (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Also how many people travel without private health insurance, we never do.
(y):hi5:
I understand that Portugal, for example, has stated that nothing will change regarding Brexit and the British, with whom they hold the world's oldest bilateral security treaty. It is rumoured they are planning to extend the period from 90 days to 120 days on Brexit.

Will they still be offering no tax:D for first 5 years (?)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
That should save the UK a good few quid :)

Also how many people travel without private health insurance, we never do.

Well bully for you - we never used to, either, when any insurer would still cover us. Now they won't cover either of us (even by excluding our pre-existing; cos apparently having had his cancer removed - Pete's obviously far more likely to trip up and break his leg or get knocked over and injured than anyone normal and I'm also more likely to suffer with absolutely anything that I've not currently got. I mean - obvious innit?

So - being as EHIC has existed longer than we have been part of the EU (except it was known as an E111 way back when, and yes, of course we were registered onto that too) if either of us need it then if whatever costs more than a few quid, we'll have to use it to pay for it.

In the 90s I had an accident and treatment in a Clinic in Majorca and was actually astounded at how cheap it was, considering all they'd needed to do and the time it took - paid by Credit Card as we didn't realise they usually dealt with insurers directly and we didn't have to fund it ourselves upfront and then claim it back - so consequently hadn't taken the policy with us. We could have wasted another morning by going back next day with it from the other end of the island again - so it was easier to do that really. Especially as we'd got lost in the labyrinth of Palma back streets and one way system a few times getting there - so coming back we said let's just try and follow signs towards the Cathedral, which we'd seen on the way, cos that way we'll be more or less straight onto the Paseo Maritimo - and know we have to hang a left onto it and just keep on going in the same general direction !

I'm currently thinking - as I have a few things up at present that I've had since before Xmas, so made an apt to see a GP in early January by which time the surgery had cocked up all my repeat prescriptions to such an extent so it took the doc 20 minutes to sort them out again being as she'd never ever seen me before (shedloads of different locums) so apologised and said I'd have to make another one to discuss my actual problem so the earliest was another 5 weeks, 15 Feb - none of which are emergencies or AFAIK likely to become life threatening - but certainly require discussing with a doctor - if we were due to go abroad very soon I'd just go anyway - as I'm bloody sure it would be easier to get an appointment with a GP in France than it damn well is in Coventry!

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
(y):hi5:

Will they still be offering no tax:D for first 5 years (?)
10 years I think Gus, as long as your intention is to retire and you have sufficient funds :)

We're still rates free for another 6 years, and then we have to pay 246 Euros a year in council tax. Waste collections from a local bin daily, superb schools, bugger all libraries but street lamps that are actually turned on and even the roads are becoming netter than the UK in terms of repairs.

PS: The EIC health arrangements do work with EEA countries, but that is looking uncertain at the moment for the UK (requires freedom of movement). However, reciprocal health agreements were in place years before we joined up, so I think they will survive

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
I assume you didn't read to the bottom of your article;
It is in the EU's interest to continue the arrangement as the UK has given £5.8billion more to EU countries for medical costs than we've got back.".

If this is the case, it would be in the UK's interest to stop it surely?
5.8 billion back in the UK NHS(y)

Whenever I take a trip abroad, I make sure I've got medical insurance.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I suppose there'll be more hassle for French MH owners as they pass through Calais. Trying to dodge all the post-Brexit British migrants from the shanty town near the port as they try to hang on to camping-cars in an effort to journey further into the stability and prosperity of the EU to start new lives.

:reel:

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
I cannot believe people are still thinking meglomaniac May will put any money at all in the NHS the Tories want rid of the NHS folks make no mistake. People are soooooooo gullible. There are many, many more British people living on the continent than there are continentals livving in the UK so it's hardly surprising the UK pays more health care costs to the Continental countries. :sun::drinks:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Things only worry you if you let them...

Thirty days, ninety days, one year, six years... how does any country (other than the Disunited Kingdom) know how long I have been staying there?

Some folk take full notice of every single rule, by-law and regulation, even to the extent of only opening their cornflakes' box where it says "Open This End" and some folk just get on with relaxing, thinking a lot and looking after their lettuces. ;)

JJ :cool:
I guess that a check on your bank statements would give it away JJ

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
Our GP does not operate an appointment system...you just go and wait your turn...it's a brilliant system and you always get to see your own dr unless they are off.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I cannot believe people are still thinking meglomaniac May will put any money at all in the NHS the Tories want rid of the NHS folks make no mistake. People are soooooooo gullible. There are many, many more British people living on the continent than there are continentals livving in the UK so it's hardly surprising the UK pays more health care costs to the Continental countries. :sun::drinks:

1.2 Million UK citizens live in other EU countries
2.9 million EU citizens live in the UK

According to the 2014 figures, most recent I can find, so you are mistaken.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015

Read yesterday that their are more Poles living in GB than ex pats in the entire continent.....

Feb 18, 2014
Ilfracombe, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SLS
Exp
Vehicles are only allowed to be used in another EU country for 6 months in any year, any more and you need an MOT and pay duty (which can be very costly). I have heard of one person (French) who had a minor traffic accident and then had his car impounded when it was discovered he had been in Portugal for 11 months

Up the road from me is a Spanish registered car and Dutch registered car both are used daily and both have been around for well over a year, so how does that work?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I guess that a check on your bank statements would give it away JJ
Only if they are in his name ?:sneaky:

1.2 Million UK citizens live in other EU countries
2.9 million EU citizens live in the UK

According to the 2014 figures, most recent I can find, so you are mistaken.
There's more than that figure living in Spain. Current estimates are 5 million brits spread across the EU
Polish that run websites/papers etc; would state that there citizens in the UK were between 3-4 million. & that is without any other nationalities.
As a gambling man I would have a reasonable bet that the EU citizen count in the UK was in excess of 7,5 million.Just a pity that there isn't a definitive way of counting them all.

Up the road from me is a Spanish registered car and Dutch registered car both are used daily and both have been around for well over a year, so how does that work?

It doesn't, they are illegal after a maximum of 6 months as 'tourists' .If working max of 90 days. here it would be 30 days.
If they are working then they automatically become UK residents. Therefore they cannot drive anything other than a UK registered vehicle. Same as I cannot drive anything that isn't spanish plated.
Removing car from UK to EU & bringing it back again does not count . It is the person who makes the car illegal by virtue of residency. The person cannot state that they are not a resident as feet on the ground, + time period, is all that counts under EU rules.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Temporary import licence due against fees, bribery to the local old bill, Spanish ineptitude, sheer good luck, belong to the same Masonic lodge, sister in law at town hall, who knows.

I know a chap in the UK who has paid no tax or NI in 40 years and still gets a full pension with his benefits. If I knew how that worked, too, I would publish it and make a fortune

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Not with our GP - he does not operate an appointments system, you just turn up and wait to see him.

What - you take up residence in the waiting room for 5 whole weeks and stay put there while you wait to see one? - cos that's how long it is until I can get an appointment at mine. Been like that for at least 12 months.

Mine isn't unusual at all now.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Things only worry you if you let them...

Thirty days, ninety days, one year, six years... how does any country (other than the Disunited Kingdom) know how long I have been staying there?

Some folk take full notice of every single rule, by-law and regulation, even to the extent of only opening their cornflakes' box where it says "Open This End" and some folk just get on with relaxing, thinking a lot and looking after their lettuces. ;)

JJ :cool:
brilliant(y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I know a chap in the UK who has paid no tax or NI in 40 years and still gets a full pension with his benefits. If I knew how that worked, too, I would publish it and make a fortune

It is easy. Become a limited company. Pay yourself between £112 and £155 a week on the payroll. You get a free NI stamp. You then take the rest of your wages as a Dividend. It is standard practice.

Remember though, that we don't get holiday pay, redundancy, sick pay etc etc etc.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
It is easy. Become a limited company. Pay yourself between £112 and £155 a week on the payroll. You get a free NI stamp. You then take the rest of your wages as a Dividend. It is standard practice.

Remember though, that we don't get holiday pay, redundancy, sick pay etc etc etc.
Understood, as long as you avoid the IR35 pitfalls and comply with the system. In the instance mentioned, the person simply took cash only or payment via an offshore bank account, and never put a penny through any books. You should see the size of his villa in Spain

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back