Any suggestions for what to get put into a van conversion (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
My lad had a vauxhall vivaro like this, with a porta potty that they put in an awning,
I was on a site where the couple next door in a PVC had a stand-alone phone box sized toilet tent. It must've been their first trip because that night when the lady was inside with her lantern we had a perfect silhouette film show of her activity.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
There is no one else. I travel solo 98% of the time.

The only time there was someone else was on a day trip with my sister. She sat in the drivers cab, with the door between the living space and the cab shut.

I also travel with my parents but they have their own MH and use their facilities in their van.

Having a whole room dedicated to a toilet seems like an inefficient use of space when you travel alone.
Not that I'd go without a shower and toilet room but you are right they do take up a lot of space in a PVC. IIRC you are going fulltime while you back to uni?, where are you going to shower, or will you use sites?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Waste of space?
It's one of the most flexible multi functional spaces in my MH!
  • Toilet
  • Shower
  • Wet clothes
  • Oversize storage whilst travelling - eg Quest Popup Awning and/or external silver screens
I can't imagine having to pull out a potti from it's little cupboard for a midnight wee.
How inconvenient.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Not that I'd go without a shower and toilet room but you are right they do take up a lot of space in a PVC. IIRC you are going fulltime while you back to uni?, where are you going to shower, or will you use sites?

I have a plan. I'm sure there will be pictures when I get around to it.

I'm going to put a shower tray and waterproof sides in half of the bench seat.

I've seen a few people do it in van conversions.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I can't imagine having to pull out a potti from it's little cupboard for a midnight wee.
How inconvenient.

Hardly takes more time than opening a door to a room. One cupboard door and 2 latches. And it would drive me nuts moving all that stuff about! No outdoor screens for me. I have a bulkhead wall. And I'd want to be able to move off without going outside. I hang my coat in the cab, on a hook over the passenger door. Don't like or have need for awnings.

Plus once I'm asleep I don't go to the loo again until morning. Might be an age thing? 😂😉

The great thing about building your own is you have it how you want it. And if I ever do change my mind the whole thing simply unscrews and cab be rebuilt easy.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I have a plan. I'm sure there will be pictures when I get around to it.

I'm going to put a shower tray and waterproof sides in half of the bench seat.

I've seen a few people do it in van conversions.
I'll have to wait for your pictures, I can't imagine how the shower you are planning on works.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Hardly takes more time than opening a door to a room. One cupboard door and 2 latches. And it would drive me nuts moving all that stuff about! No outdoor screens for me. I have a bulkhead wall. And I'd want to be able to move off without going outside. I hang my coat in the cab, on a hook over the passenger door. Don't like or have need for awnings.

Plus once I'm asleep I don't go to the loo again until morning. Might be an age thing? 😂😉

The great thing about building your own is you have it how you want it. And if I ever do change my mind the whole thing simply unscrews and cab be rebuilt easy.
It's definitely an age thing, when I was younger after a belly full of beer I could sleep right through, if I look at a four pack now I'm up twice in the night🤣

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I'll have to wait for your pictures, I can't imagine how the shower you are planning on works.

Sort if like this lady's. But she has it built into her kitchen worktop, not a bench seat. (This lady's van is awesome, one of the best I've ever seen!)

Video should play at the right spot, if not it's at 7 minutes and 37 seconds in.

KiteVanMan has something similar, built into his seating. As does Tinie Planet.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Plus once I'm asleep I don't go to the loo again until morning. Might be an age thing?
Undoubtedly :cry:.

Not my idea of 'fun' but as I mentioned above

One of the many things that hadn't really registered about VanLife on a limited budget, is how long 'normal' tasks take - I for example want a fixed bed, because I don't want the spend time making one up each night - but of course, mostly time is one of the cheapest commodities for a van lifer...

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Sort if like this lady's. But she has it built into her kitchen worktop, not a bench seat. (This lady's van is awesome, one of the best I've ever seen!)

Video should play at the right spot, if not it's at 7 minutes and 37 seconds in.

KiteVanMan has something similar, built into his seating. As does Tinie Planet.

I like that a lot, very clever.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have just realised we have gone off the op, I thought we were discussing it with him, but we are now discussing someone else's van, the op wanted to know what to put in but we are now talking about some finished vans.

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I have just realised we have gone off the op, I thought we were discussing it with him, but we are now discussing someone else's van, the op wanted to know what to put in but we are now talking about some finished vans.

All topics do. I didn't consider it as too far off topic. After all, this could be replicated in the OPs van if they so desired. It's an option if they wanted.

I wouldn't be without a loo.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
All topics do. I didn't consider it as too far off topic. After all, this could be replicated in the OPs van if they so desired. It's an option if they wanted.

I wouldn't be without a loo.
Wasn't knocking anything , just didn't realise we were talking about two different vans :doh: :doh:

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Wasn't knocking anything , just didn't realise we were talking about two different vans :doh: :doh:

No worries!

The OP also said that their van is having a pull out toilet. And the van is small so a shower like this may be helpful way to save space. I was using my pull out loo and my plans for the shower and the videos as examples of what could be done in a small space.

For once I thought I was on topic!

😂😂😂

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
very classy grey carpet

I'd strongly advise waterproof lino over carpet. I do a lot of walking etc and if I had a carpet I'd destroy it on the first weekend. Even walking across a wet carpark could mess up a carpet. Lino drys faster, can be swept with a broom and even mopped. Being waterproof it will protect my ply floor base and insulation.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back