Any suggestions for places to visit in eastern France (1 Viewer)

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
We are off to France via Dunkirk on Monday. We plan to travelled down the eastern side of France then return via Le Harve. Any suggestions for must see destinations? We particularly enjoy walking/cycling (in quieter areas) and sightseeing. We have never travelled in this area before so any suggestions welcome.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Couple of places we have stayed.. both have nice aires and can accommodate large outfits.. We were there with our RV

Montherme, by the river.. GPS... 49.886164,4.735943

and Stenay by the canal and marina. ... GPS 49.490904,5.183367

Montherme ,that's us on the river bank in the RV , no facilities here but there is a MH service point on the road into the village on the left.
B0004737%25281%2529.JPG

BROKEN LINK

Stenay, there are two places to park.. where we are on the canal side and another part which is on the other side of the canal.. both have toilets and EHU
BROKEN LINK
BROKEN LINK

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Jim - you forgot the showers at Stenay!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Looks very inviting, I've added it to my bookmarks on France.

Now I get the thread on large attachments and having to scroll across the screen. :roflmto:

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Really nice aires at Charleville Mezieres (overlooking marina and very attractive town short walk away) and Dun Sur Meuse (right by side of canal / river).

We will be visiting this part of the world again in September thanks to Eurotunnel and Tesco vouchers, fare for the wife and I plus 7.5 metre motorhome just £55 in vouchers, goodness knows how they can afford such offers!

Paul

Attachments

• Charleville Mezieres.JPG
    Charleville Mezieres.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Dun Sur Meuse.JPG
    Dun Sur Meuse.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 22
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Le Corbusier's chapel - at Ronchamp - stunning building and his masterpiece. Good parking there. And afterwards go to Belfort, very interesting town, fortified and with a huge lion on the defences.

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
Over in Alsace Chateau Haut Koenisbourg is amazing, perched on top of a mountain, but haven't been for years so don't know how you'll get on with a mh up there.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Dijon's a very pleasant city - aire and municipal camping side by side with good cycle access to town centre. Huge market on a Tuesday.

The lakes to the east of Troyes near Mesnil Saint Pere would be well suited to cycle trips. Free overnight parking near the visitor centre but no services.

Vallon Pont d'Arc and the Ardeche Gorge is worth diverting to but I imagine it gets very busy in summer. It was lovely this April, without the crowds, the traffic and the canoe-borne hordes. Two aires in Vallon, the easternmost one on the edge of town is the better of the two. No shortage of campsites.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Couple of places we have stayed.. both have nice aires and can accommodate large outfits.. We were there with our RV

Montherme, by the river.. GPS... 49.886164,4.735943

Montherme has been upgraded. There is now hardstanding parking and a new quay for the boats to berth. There is an office that's manned for couple of hours morning & evening with a shower & washing machine. We were there at Easter and paid 3euros, there are EHUs available at extra cost.

Enjoy, wherever you get to :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Montherme has been upgraded. There is now hardstanding parking and a new quay for the boats to berth. There is an office that's manned for couple of hours morning & evening with a shower & washing machine. We were there at Easter and paid 3euros, there are EHUs available at extra cost.

Enjoy, wherever you get to :thumb:

cheers.. thanks for the update: like I always say.. information has a shelf life ..

we were there in 2005 .. how time flies.. but we will go back.. love that part of France.

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Charleville Mezieres is a town not much visited. The campsite is next to the river and there is an aire outside the campsite. A two minute walk into town over the bridge. Town has a beautiful square , a good shopping centre including small carrefour. There is a big shopping complexe outside the town as you come in Juction 9 or 10 I think.
Very clean site with cafe 17E last year. Good place to stock up before you hit the channel.

Sorry can't seem to download photo
Lucille

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Eastern France

Not sure how far South you're going to travel but this is worth a look. http://www.plan-incline.com campsite nearby nothing great but has restaurant on site. We also popped into Thionville on the way home, great little site right in the town walk to restaurants etc. Great bike trails and also next to Luxembourg for filling the tank.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Try to get a copy of "Back Roads: France". I got my copy in The Works sale but it's no longer on their website. Quite a few ideas in there. I'll dig out my copy later.

Written for the tourist in a car but some nice sounding motor tours.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
OP
OP
P

patch

Free Member
Nov 25, 2012
WEYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
Just bought first MH
Exp
Thanks everyone. You have all been a great help. . Its always good to get recommendations. Can't wait to get going now!!!::bigsmile:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Municipal site at Charleville Mezieres

Attachments