Any Stargazers (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2015
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Hoping to buy 2016
Exp
None whatsoever
Thinking about buying my first telescope,don’t want to spend a fortune and ideally one suitable for taking on our travels
.....would you buy a Newtonian or a Dobsonian ....any recommendations?

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
Hello @Dizzy Izzy

We have four telescopes in use here in Lymington, the oldest from the 1960’s...

We use this one in the link to Amazon for travelling - please note the blue backpack in the final photo - easy to find a space for safe storage in the motorhome.

Apologies if I mis-understand your version of a fortune...

Regards,

Colin

Amazon product ASIN B01E52OMV6

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
I have no idea why my link does not show sorry. on Amazon

Please see Meade ETX80 Observer on Amazon

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Depends on your budget, the two you mentioned will be rather large to take on your travels if you go for, what many consider the minimum useful aperture of 6”.
Do you want to feel your way around the sky ( if so, there are good books available to help you) or do you want a computerised or “GoTo” telescope? Is your interest the moon, planets, deep space ( galaxies, star clusters etc)
Once you have worked out these, start looking.
A dobsonian will give you the biggest aperture for your money and you can get collapsible ones to help with transport.
Colin’s recommendation of the Meade ETX 80 is an excellent choice. I started serious stargazing with a Meade ETX 125 and have had a few changes till I ended up with the two telescopes I have now, a Meade LX90 ACF 8” and a Celestron NexStar Evolution 6”
Have a look at some retailers to see what’s on offer. Many are only too happy to give advice and I can recommend Telescope House and First Light Optics as I have used them both many times.

OP
OP
Dizzy Izzy
Jul 26, 2015
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Hoping to buy 2016
Exp
None whatsoever
I was thinking around £300 -£350 max for my first telescope
I wasn’t sure about the GoTo telescopes,although they sound wonderful I did wonder if for a beginner it might be better to ‘feel my way around’ first ...any thoughts?
Will look at those recommended and the sites mentioned.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I would get a go-to first, there is so much to look at and if you are travelling with it, you will see a lot more in a shorter space of time. You will also learn quite a bit about the night sky.
When you get more proficient, buy a 10” dobsonian and a copy of “ Turn left at Orion”

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back