Any solos travelling Spain Portugal from Jan 18?

Discussion in 'Solo travellers' started by Northernraider, Aug 6, 2017.

1. gabbie12

gabbie12 Funster

Ratings:
    +1

2. gabbie12

gabbie12 Funster

Ratings:
    +1
    What’s the cheapest ferry ,

3. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +20,162
    @PhilandMena thats a rather long useful post you have put up(y)

Strangely enough we just met someone whose been singing your praises as an informative funster. :)

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Ratings:
    +5,943
    Assuming you mean from Portsmouth to Santander it's going to be with Brittany Ferries. Here's the link to there website.
    http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/f...ntander/economie-service-cheap-ferry-to-spain
    As I understand it, you get further discounts if your a member of Club Voyage (I think it costs about £100.00 for membership ?).
    If your a huge gas guzzling RV this route option makes financial sense. If your a 3.5T motorhome it does not! However, it's all down to personal preferences and there are lots of members here who prefer to pay the going rate to cross from the UK to Spain even with the risk of a rough crossing through the Bay of Biscay.
    Safe Journey.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. airwave

airwave Funster

Ratings:
    +798

Ye god's , some much info . extremely useful . Big thank's for that one my friend , all link's have been logged .

• Like it Like it x 1
  6. Kjack

Kjack Funster

Ratings:
    +24
    I payed 380 a couple. Of mths ago im going january 13 7 mtr van Portsmouth santander can't be bothered to drive through France .sod the expense you only live once.

• Nice One! Nice One! x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  7. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ratings:
    +6,921
    It was absolutely awful in the Algarve this January......
    Full sun.......15 days

Sun/cloud....13 days

Rain shower..3 days

Min night temp 4°

Max day shade 20°

February was a even worse

Full sun ............3 days

Sun/cloud ..........11 days

Cloud..................8 days

Rain....................5 days

Thunderstorm.......1 day

Min.....6°

Max....20°

Absolutely awful.........don't come;)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
  8. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Ratings:
    +5,943
    Well it looks like 2017 was better than average.

http://www.holiday-weather.com/algarve/averages/

Weather lowdown

January is the coldest time of the year in Albufeira, Portugal when the average temperature is a mild 12°C, created by highs of up to 16°C and lows of 8°C. Although the average sea temperature is a pleasant 16°C, the average rainfall is very high at 97mm across 14 days. Despite the wet weather, Albufeira enjoys around five hours of sunshine each day, providing you with plenty of time to lounge by the pool or explore the resort.

9. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ratings:
    +6,921
    I will concede that on average the weather in Benidorm Jan/Feb is slightly better than the Algarve but I know where I would rather be.......it's not Albufeira either:)

• Like it Like it x 4
  10. Kjack

Kjack Funster

Ratings:
    +24
    I'm hard I'm going for adventure and the freedom of roaming around. I have just spent 40 years driving trucks all over the place through out the EU germany sweden Holand Belgium and many more.ceutra to the north of England on a regular basis across all kinds of weather snow fog ice stuck for days on ports and borders been arrested and locked up on one border. So lm hope this trip will be a bit milder. Kj

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Love it Love it x 1
  11. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

Ratings:
    +1,511
    Agree totally and those of you that are already there, go home.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Northernraider

Northernraider Funster

Ratings:
    +5,291
    I sail on the 12th January having been living in the mh full time now since August it can't be much colder there than it is in UK just now lol.

I plan to land Santander and head over to around Barcelona and trundle down the east from Jan till end of March....then head from Cadiz to gran canaria for a few months then see how things go

13. Empyrean

Empyrean Funster

Ratings:
    +1
    Just joined this site and am pleased to see there are so many other adventurous soloists! I have travelled in France and Spain several times, sometimes meeting up with others, sometimes alone.

I'd like to try other parts of Europe whilst also recognising that Spain is probably the best place to get some winter sun. I also agree that it's important to get along with any travelling companions! All that to say that I'm hoping to get wheels rolling in the next few weeks (certainly by end of Feb) heading for Spanish sun and it would be nice to know there are others on the road with whom to meet up for however long. I rather like the ad hoc meet up thing - sending a "where are you" message and catching up with someone. I'm not really a planner...lol

• Like it Like it x 1
  14. Chugger

Chugger Funster

Ratings:
    +77
    I am a single camper planning to travel Europe for at least a year staring in April 2018 and Southern Spain is certainly on my hit list!

• Like it Like it x 1
  15. Linda18

Linda18

Ratings:
    +1
    I am off to Spain end of February. I use Santander ferry now as I can only go for 6 weeks until I retire next year. It takes me 3 days to get to Mojacar on a lovely site right on the coast. I use a site in Burgos, one in Madrid and one in Fortuna de Banos on the way down. Good German vet there too.