Any recommendations for websites etc. to sell a Campervan? (1 Viewer)

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi folks

We need to sell our Campervan, having upgraded.

I've set up a website detailing the 'van*, associated with a temporary email address that we can delete once we don't need it any more. I also have a nice short, friendly tinyurl address that we can reference in any small classified-style advert to give people more details on the 'van.

Apart from things like Auto Trader, does anybody have any recommendations of good, effective sites / publications for selling a 'van? (We're in Berkshire, so suggestions of local papers in Scotland probably won't be very effective!)

Thanks
Julie and Andy

* I hope the link doesn't violate any forum rules. If it does, it can be removed! ;-)

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
It might not suit you but we bought our first van on Ebay. Risky, I know, but we got a good deal and it suited us. If you advertised your van there, you could set a starting price so that it doesn't go for less than you would be willing to accept. There is also pre-loved.

Ivy

PamandKeith

Free Member
Oct 11, 2008
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
12 years
Try www.preloved.co.uk. The site is down at the moment but should be back soon. It costs nothing to advertise. I sold my daughter's caravan on this site a couple of years ago.

Pam

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Link Removed

click the smiley

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
laneside

When we bought our MH it was off Ebay off a lovely couple in Doncaster we had a caravan to sell, which incidently we bought off Ebay from a lovely couple in Cambridge.

We put our caravan up for sale on Ebay and quickly sold it to a lovely couple from Sunderland.

Were we lucky, I do not think so most people are suprisingly straight and honest it is a small percentage of the population that try and ruin a good thing for everyone.

Just excercise a little care And Ebay opens up a huge market place and incidently it cost us just ÂŁ14.00 to sell a ÂŁ5500.00 caravan

Good Luck Alan and Lynda

OP
OP
juwlz

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Sold it!

Rather after the event, but better late than never ...

Just thought I'd let you know the outcome of our selling endeavours. We decided to advertise on Autotrader's website and in the magazine (for a fee), and on Preloved.com (free, but not allowing a web address - although you can pay to add that facility) just before Easter.

Having set up a temporary (gmail) email address for the purpose, we were able to set up an automatic reply to any incoming email, thanking people for their enquiry and linking them to the website we'd set up, so that they could get more information straight away, even if we didn't see the email straight away to reply personally. This worked well for preloved, but not for Autotrader, as the reply goes to Autotrader rather than to the person enquiring.

We had more enquiries more quickly via Preloved than we did via Autotrader's website. We didn't get any enquiries at all via the magazine.

In the end we sold it for a good price within a week of advertising it to the first person to enquire via Preloved.

The 'van is now in its new home ... in Spain!!

Thanks for all the suggestions - especially the one to try preloved.com, of course!

Julie and Andy

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
That's fantastic. We will be selling our old one soon so thanks for the tip about preloved.
Lucille

OP
OP
juwlz

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
The website is key

Lucille

I don't think it would have worked anything like as well if we hadn't created the website first.

It's very easy to create a temporary googlemail address (so that you can get rid if the spammers get hold of it, and also keep your personal details to yourself). Don't forget that once something's online, it's online for good! Even after you think you've deleted it, it will still be in search engines' caches, etc. Don't put your address on the website or even in your autoreply!

Google Sites is really easy to use to set up the website, and googlemail can easily autoreply to your enquiries, and autoforward to your normal email address so you don't have to check the special one separately. (If you want to reply personally to any enquiry, I'd advise replying directly from the googlemail email account though, again, to maintain your personal privacy. The autoforwarding is just to save you having to check another account.)

Julie

essexsj

Free Member
Dec 10, 2009
Rochford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
I bought mine last year off ebay and consider I got a good deal out of season. When I was looking around at campervans on offer for sale, I always checked on http://www.gumtree.com in my local region, and in the London region. Free to advertise.

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Well done Juwlz!:Smile: It is refreshing to see someone who has taken the trouble to learn how to use the internet intelligently. So many people just bumble around without taking the time or trouble to learn how to use the vast array of facilities that are available.

Google has provided a huge number of facilities that can easily be learned and used. I happen to use Google Chrome as my default browser, considering the browser to be far better than MS Internet Explorer. Many professionals share that view. I do, though, have most of the other major browsers installed so that I can test web site pages that I write, to ensure that they are compatible with all of them.

For those who don't know what the free facilities are, simply go to www.google.co.uk and look for the line at the top of the page that says: Web Images Videos Maps News Shopping Mail more â–Ľ

Then click on More. This will open a page that shows all the stuff that Google offers. It is free and fun to use. Gmail is one of them, of course. Once you have opened an iGoogle account (free) you can then access all the other programmes. Anyone with average intelligence and reading ability should be able to master everything offered.

It is nice, too, to get feed-back from successful sales. For what it's worth, I bought my last two old Hymers from eBay. I do look at Autotrader as well. I shall add preloved to my list now. I have checked it in the past.

David

http://www.ldl-france.com

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back