Any recommendations for a Tyre inflator that operates at 5.5PSI (80bar)? That will reach all four wheels easily (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I used to use a foot pump... 5 minutes graft = 1psi increase, wouldn't recommend anything manual for a van tyre. I got a 'silent' type mains compressor with small receiver tank (113psi) off amazon for about £89 sorts the tyres in seconds ?

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
As an aside, you'd need a really heavy vehicle to need 80 p.s.i. That figure on the sticker is a catch all because Fiat don't know what the chassis will end up as. In almost all cases the pressures recommended by your tyre manufacturer will be much less.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I use the one that came with my Fiat based motorhome. It reaches all the wheels and also is able to pump up to the tyre pressures recommended by my tyre manufacturer. It is a bit slow but it gets there. But it is a bugger to get back into its bag.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
Ring 900 has worked well for us and the pipe stretches to all 6 wheels from being mounted beside the leisure batteries.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Interesting thread as I have been considering this type of compressor to inflate my tyres to 85psi as required.
I have been advised to the Ring 9000 model BUT, only with crocodile clip connections to connect to the battery because a cigarette lighter 12v connector will out too much load on the internal van wiring loom.
I could have it completely wrong of course, but thinking about it, a prolonged session pumping air will draw a high current and therefore, I think, heat into the main loom if going via the cig. lighter socket.
But I stand to be corrected if others know more accurate info.

If your Moho is ducato based, as is mine, I connect to the battery via the connection in the engine bay rather than the battery itself.
Crocodile clips on there— perfect

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As an aside, you'd need a really heavy vehicle to need 80 p.s.i. That figure on the sticker is a catch all because Fiat don't know what the chassis will end up as. In almost all cases the pressures recommended by your tyre manufacturer will be much less.
Ours works out at 76psi for the rears.

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Timely thread for me. Our 2 min drive away Morries has had the airline removed, so I needed a pump. Couldn't decide what to get off amazon, so ended up getting this piece of sh1t from halfords.
https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/tyre-inflators-pressure-gauges/halfords-essential-twin-barrel-foot-pump-gauge

Having boosted 2 tyres from 4.1 to 4.5 bar it's now knackered; frame twisted so that it no longer completes the stroke. So rear tyres will get some air put in at a garage while they're hot.

'Lectric pump when I get back in a fortnight ...

Dazz

Free Member
Oct 10, 2019
South Wales Valleys
Funster No
MH
Ford Chaussonflash02
Exp
Looking at this topic I like the idea of von haus cordless?I think I’ll get one of these as they look so easy to use and store especially on my motorcycle also

Dazz

Free Member
Oct 10, 2019
South Wales Valleys
Funster No
MH
Ford Chaussonflash02
Exp
Does the von haus cordless have a accurate gauge fitted

Phod's

Free Member
Sep 1, 2018
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner A573 Ducato
Exp
Since 2008
Last year I bought the Halfords Rechargable; have looked at the highly regarded Ring and it is brilliant. Manages all 4 tyres on a single charge easily, in fact as vehicle has been standing sometime at home I've topped 'em all up today before I trundle off for an MOT on Wednesday.
I was about £60, mains or 12v charging and has a light, a USB port and a 12v cigarette lighter port too........only negative point is it's a screw on inflator so I bought a clip on attachment for 2quid on eBay......perfick!!!!!!!!!

Phod's

Free Member
Sep 1, 2018
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner A573 Ducato
Exp
Since 2008
BTW the guage pressure coincides with my tyre pressure monitors on each wheel and a separate guage........as I said PERFICK!!!!!!!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This is by far the best portable compressor I've ever owned, will fill big tyres from flat to 80psi without getting hot and having to switch off to cool every 10 minutes. Popular with Lanny Owners who fit them in situ. MUCH better than any Ring I've owned.

Amazon product ASIN B00Y3165VK

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This is by far the best portable compressor I've ever owned, will fill big tyres from flat to 80psi without getting hot and having to switch off to cool every 10 minutes. Popular with Lanny Owners who fit them in situ. MUCH better than any Ring I've owned.

I have a trailer that has 4 tyres that need to be kept at 95psi. This T Max fills them in a minute or so (y)

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
If your Moho is ducato based, as is mine, I connect to the battery via the connection in the engine bay rather than the battery itself.
Hello and very interesting .
My Motorhome is a 2000/2001 model Ducato 1.9 TD (jtd?)
Any ideas where this connection is please?
Thanks

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018

Thanks Jim, still evaluating whether hand pump or powered.
Thought I'd need to spend about £100 on a piece of kit to get something upto the job.
Cheers
Iain

Dazz

Free Member
Oct 10, 2019
South Wales Valleys
Funster No
MH
Ford Chaussonflash02
Exp
Just ordered VonHaus Tyre Inflator Cordless / Battery Operated Handheld Air Compressor Pump?

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015

Do you have the engine running when you use it?

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Just ordered VonHaus Tyre Inflator Cordless / Battery Operated Handheld Air Compressor Pump?
Please let us know how you get on. I'm thinking of getting a cordless but several posters have said they doubt cordless compressors are up to pumping 80psi.

May 10, 2019
Norfolk UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E-Line
I chose a mains powered Michelin pump from Halfords. It is small and neat and will easily do 80PSI. I chose it as I didn’t want to mess around with crocodile clips. The mains lead is short but I have an adapter to go on the end of my EHU lead. The pump makes short work of the task and the gauge is accurate as I compared with an expensive gauge I already owned.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Do you have the engine running when you use it?
I don’t, no. The engine battery should cope with the loading quite easily, but no reason not to, the pump will be quite happy with the engine running.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Ha Ha. Only talking about this yesterday. My Autograph comes with a pump / glue kit instead of a spare wheel. I used the pump yesterday for the first time to check my pressures. The pump reaches the nearside tyres as the power socket is on the nearside dash but the cable wont reach the rear offside wheel as the cable has to stretch across the cab. Its really close to being long enough to the point that if the valve is at the front of the wheel (ie 3 o'clock) it will reach, but if the rotation of the wheel means that the valve is at the rear of the wheel (ie 9 o'clock) its about 4 inches too short:(So I suppose in the event of a flat tyre I could just move the van a few inches to rotate the valve forward so the pump will reach. However ebay came to the rescue and for a fiver I've purchased a 3m extension cable complete with plug / socket. But the question needs to be asked for the sake of a few pence why on earth didn't the pump manufacturers provide enough cable especially as the pump (if purchased) is nearly £90.
Those kits are useless so really pump not needed.BUSBY??

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
ECP have the Streetwise model on offer today - £23.99

Been reliable so far...

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Dazz- have you yet received your compressor and how has it performed?

Jan 25, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1962
Ring 900 I agree with Gellneck and ABZSteve but its a great bit of kit and the hose extends easily to reach rear wheels on my long wheelbase Sprinter

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Well you get what you pay for. My Van Haus cordless arrived today and I'm not impressed. After over three hours charging and getting the green light, I plugged in the battery only to find the dispaly locked on an error message. Removing the battery following the "instructions" by pressing the release button was a real struggle and I wasnt confident of removing the battery without breaking the damned compressor. When eventually I was able to remove the battery, I reeinserted it and it cleared the error message. However, by then it was dark and raining and I wasn't in the right frame of mind to test it on the car in case something else went wrong and I smashed the thing into a 1000 pieces. So, I'll try the day after tomorrow. The "instructions" are a series of drawings, that are hardly helpful.

I'll still proceed with the T Max for keeping at home but, for a portable inflator to take with us in the van, I'm so far disappointed with the Van Haus and wouldnt recommend it.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Discussed previously here https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...o-your-required-pressure.206004/#post-3528946 .
Having burnt out a Ryobi inflator we went for the wild card option that a Funster suggested & very happy with it - the model (up to 160psi!) has changed but like this https://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-joe-blow-sport-iii-track-pump/ . Not a lot of money for the convenience at home & can be carried on trips if wanted too.

View attachment 349833
Ya know, you can get one just like that which will reach 3500psi (300bar) o_O

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

That is the same one I settled on after getting fed up with the RAC thing

OTR Again

Free Member
Aug 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2002
Can you connect and use the Ring 900 when on EHU ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back