Any problems using Stellplatz listed in the Bord Atlas (1 Viewer)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Hi all I we are just about to get our first MH (Yes it's 3,5t) and will predominantly using German and Austrian stopovers on our trips abroad (Haven't got the fascination for France just yet) and have bought the Bord atlas and just ordered my ACSI card. Anyway onto the question at hand, as a newbie and reading all horror stories of robbery and gassing (????) in parts of France and Spain, are the Stellplatz of Germany, Austria and Slovenia any safer as that's where we will be spending our "Continental" time, Also would you consider the "Rastplatz's safe to use at night? TIA

Ady

Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
Hi Ady,

We had no problems using Stellplatz in Germany last year, or first trip abroad. Did not have to book amywhere. Always felt safe. I would not stay overnight in a rastplaz. We went along the Mosel and down to the Alps if you want any specific recommendations.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Avoid at all costs.. reports of gassing and robbery are common, .. as reported in the :dm:

Stelplatz are just like campsites for motorhomes.. take normal security precautions , nothing left outside, alarm on and be vigilant.. just as you would in any UK site and you will be fine.

Enjoy Germany.. it's a fabulous country to tour.. Stelplatz are everywhere but don't expect them to be free or even cheap.. they are privately owned so prices can vary enormously.. they can also get busy late afternoon, so try to arrive early afternoon ..

enjoy and leave gas masks at home ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
We've just come back from three weeks in Germany,only used two stellplatz that charged for staying. Total cost including water and a bit of electric €17 :)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I wouldn’t take any notice of gassing reports! They are simply untrue.

We have never had any issues at all on Aires or stellplatz. We’ve pulled up and decided not to stay on a very few as they didn’t look to be in a ‘nice’ area but this rarely happens.

By the way if you use park4night or camper contact you’ll be able to see photos of the Aires and stellplatz along with actual user reviews. It’s a fantastic resource.

We’ve just returned from 6 weeks touring Germany using stellplatz. They’re fantastic. Some free, some not but they are well kept and have fantastic facilities and locations

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We've just come back from three weeks in Germany,only used two stellplatz that charged for staying. Total cost including water and a bit of electric €17 :)

spend four weeks last year touring Germany, Mosel, Rhine and Bavaria .. never found any free, average was between €15 and €20 ..

The most expensive was the car park at Wank Mountain in Garmisch-Partenkirchen.. absolute rip off, €22 parking, + everything else extra, even dumping grey water and they charge for dogs .. but worth it for the trip up Wank Mountain in the cable car.

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
Hi Ady,

We had no problems using Stellplatz in Germany last year, or first trip abroad. Did not have to book amywhere. Always felt safe. I would not stay overnight in a rastplaz. We went along the Mosel and down to the Alps if you want any specific recommendations.

I fully agree with that. I go to Germany on a regular basis, and just never feel safe on a rastplaz.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Have had two free and one at 12 euros,,,Download Camper Contact app,,its all you will need. BUSBY.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
EBBD5CB3-644D-4B85-BBD6-E53EA12EAD2F.jpeg
We are near Goslar in the Hartz mountains, on a campsite, used our ACSI card for the first time, but the weather has been horrendous, violent hail storms, thunder and lightning, it can only get better, can’t it???

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
We have toured Germany and Austria (we have relatives in Villach) extensively, exclusively taking advantage of the Stellplatz, to us they are what motorhomes are designed for. As others have said use one of the apps for details of the Stellpltaz. We use a combination of the app, the book and have Board Atlas installed in our Sat Nav which makes locating the nearest one easier. It gives details of the stellplatz and a basic picture and the reference to allow you to review in greater detail in the book. However, now that we all have free roaming in Europe the use of the App will replace all this.

I see you mention that you are 3.5 tonnes, I assume you mean to be under that and as such not a Private HGV? The reason for asking is that the use of a motorhome above 3.5tonnes (Private HGV) is extremely expensive in Austria with the use of a Go Box which is basically a pre-paid electronic box which deducts a set amount based on emissions per km and it works out very expensive. We now visit our relatives by entering Austria via Italy which makes it far cheaper for us.

Good luck and enjoy

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
We have toured Germany and Austria (we have relatives in Villach) extensively, exclusively taking advantage of the Stellplatz, to us they are what motorhomes are designed for. As others have said use one of the apps for details of the Stellpltaz. We use a combination of the app, the book and have Board Atlas installed in our Sat Nav which makes locating the nearest one easier. It gives details of the stellplatz and a basic picture and the reference to allow you to review in greater detail in the book. However, now that we all have free roaming in Europe the use of the App will replace all this.

I see you mention that you are 3.5 tonnes, I assume you mean to be under that and as such not a Private HGV? The reason for asking is that the use of a motorhome above 3.5tonnes (Private HGV) is extremely expensive in Austria with the use of a Go Box which is basically a pre-paid electronic box which deducts a set amount based on emissions per km and it works out very expensive. We now visit our relatives by entering Austria via Italy which makes it far cheaper for us.

Good luck and enjoy

RELATIVES IN VILLACH/??? By god you are lucky,I wish I had relatives there, such a nice part of Austria, we go a few miles out (Faaker See) every year to the bike rally in September(y)(y)

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
DDF63543-D3AA-4D15-A25E-8BCA3C0EB5D9.jpeg
RELATIVES IN VILLACH/??? By god you are lucky,I wish I had relatives there, such a nice part of Austria, we go a few miles out (Faaker See) every year to the bike rally in September(y)(y)
It’s not actually Villach, but that’s the nearest large town. They actual live in Budensdorf which is absolutely stunning with a huge lake surrounded in mountains. My great aunt lives up the mountain but has a holiday home on the lake with enough space for a Motorhome to fit onto. The free camping makes up for the crazy toll system.

Last edited:

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
Never had a problem in Germany, but the co - ordinates are a digit too short which means the GPS sends you to the area and not necessarily the actual location.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
Is that not just motorways where there is a charge ?
If you avoid them then I thought no charge?

You are correct it is the motorways where the charges are levied. However, on the introduction of the charge they observed a huge increase in +3.5tonnes traffic on non Motorways which I would have thought they would have seen coming, seems fairly obvious. This has led to more and more non motorway roads having restrictions in place prohibiting anything above 3.5T. It appears that the German and Austrian Motorhome owners ignore the restrictions and continue to use the roads with motorhomes. However, my German is not good enough to argue with the Police and I also feel the restriction applies to all given the signs do not mention except motorhomes.
It can be done, others have done it but my map reading skills are not that great to be able to sit down and plan the route. I far prefer to punch the details into the Sat Nav and off we go.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
@stewartwebr I'm in Croatia and was planning to use the grossglockner high alpine road heading north. I'm +3.5. can you suggest a suitable route either side of pass ?
I had hoped to see more of Austria but from what you say that looks unlikely.
Thanks

PS not the whole route, just the Austria bit !
Just approximately, town to town would be great help.

Last edited:

ebo

Nov 9, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class Carado i449
Exp
Since 2009
@stewartwebr I'm in Croatia and was planning to use the grossglockner high alpine road heading north. I'm +3.5. can you suggest a suitable route either side of pass ?
Thanks

We did the Grosglockner pass last year in our then 4.25t van absolutely no problem, didn’t need to use motorways and no 3.5 limits.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
Thanks

Sorry I cannot offer any help. As I said, if the Sat Nav won't take me I'm lost. We have a Go Box and pay the price if we need too. We do look at ways to avoid it with the main one being to enter Austria from the bottom as my relatives live in the South.....sorry

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
I take it you are entering Austria via the Karawanken tunnel? After your relatives in Bodensdorf you could head up to Lienz via the 100, when you get to Lienz take the 108 and go through the Febertauerntunnel ( 11 euros) up to Mittersill. Then take the 161 up towards Kitzbuhl, Sankt Johann, then pick the 178 for a couple of km then 176 towards Kossen then into Germany. It's only a suggestion if you want to avoid the Grossglockner, but personally I'd go up it.

Ady

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Going to Austria from Villach then up to Salzburg at over 3.5 tonne and just avoiding the roads that you have to pay for. Not that difficult and in total adds an hour to a 2.5 hour journey.
Glossglockner done a couple of weeks ago and very easy to get to Lienz (didn't stay at aire) and not use the paying roads. Remember if you can say you are under 3.5 tonne at the entrance to Glossglockner it will save you enough for a very decent bottle of wine

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back