Any one got a Dethleffs Esprit I7850 (1 Viewer)

timsdomain

Free Member
Jan 14, 2015
Baildon
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit
Exp
since 2000
hello, I'm looking for some help regarding buying a Dethleffs esprit i7850 2010
I have taken it for a test drive and like it, but was getting wheel spin (wet roads) without even giving it much gas, this is the 3l fiat fwd tag axle arrangement. This has really worried me as if it spins up on the road how will it be on wet grass with a slight incline?
Are there any owners out there who can give me real life advice?
Cheers
Tim

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How good are the tyres? If they only have a small amount of tread on this will make quite a difference but with any 'rear heavy' MH you're gonna get spin at some point ... when we had our Chausson Flash 04 at 6m long we got it occasionally and have also had it on odd times with our current panel van at 6.36m ... but then we do like to go up some steep roads in it! :D

Another thing to consider is how much pressure you put on the accelerator when pulling away as you have to bear in mind that it's a big lump so you can easily try to be tooooo keen on your getaway!

OP
OP
timsdomain

timsdomain

Free Member
Jan 14, 2015
Baildon
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit
Exp
since 2000
thanks' we used to have a chausson too! it's really that i dont know a great deal about the handling characteristics off road on the campsite of the Dethleffs esprit i7850 (it's lovley on road)
cheers
tim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Tim

Large FWD motorhomes are really not that good on wet grass and muddy campsites, it's a fairly heavy tag axle van but the front axle could be quite lightly loaded.

Yes better tyres might help a bit.

Martin

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would have expected traction control to have cut in on the wet road, might be turned off or faulty maybe, would think by 2010 it would standard

but we have a RWD for exactly the reason you are worried, but there are plenty with FWD who are very happy with theirs (y)

I am just no so sure about the bigger / longer units though @Brendan has a newer Dethleff not sure on the comparative model size but they don't come much longer than his (y)

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I have a Dethleffs Esprit 7850 with the 3 litre 180bhp engine and tow either my smart or toyota iq behind on a trailer and very rarely have any wheel spin when wet, you have to be very light footed as the engine has got a lot of low down torque, even on wet grass I've only had a small amount of wheel spin.

Ask if it has been chipped, that's the only thing which would make it spin too much.
IMG_9327.JPG

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
I have a Dethleffs Esprit 7850 with the 3 litre 180bhp engine and tow either my smart or toyota iq behind on a trailer and very rarely have any wheel spin when wet, you have to be very light footed as the engine has got a lot of low down torque, even on wet grass I've only had a small amount of wheel spin.

Ask if it has been chipped, that's the only thing which would make it spin too much.
View attachment 176759

I just cant believe you dont have traction issues, your front wheels are off the ground... (y)

OP
OP
timsdomain

timsdomain

Free Member
Jan 14, 2015
Baildon
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit
Exp
since 2000

View attachment 176759

I'm a little heavy footed - where's the photo of? long way from Leeds!

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I have the earlier (2.8jtd) 7870 and, in terms of issues on grass, I believe that preventive measures are a useful precaution. I always park on planks to spread the load and avoid creating 'cups'/indentations in the ground. I have never been stuck using this method in 8 years of ownership.
I did however get stuck once (just the once though) when trying to park up in a hilly and wet field.

TBH, the lightness of your accelerator foot will be the biggest factor in whether or not you'll get stuck.
If you ever get wheel spin, STOP. Don't put your foot down and make it worse!

Ian

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I travel all over Europe in mine and never have any problems, even in the Spanish and Italian campsites which are well known to have small pitches! Some are 'challenging' but always doable :) makes it much easier with having the motor mover on trailer too

OP
OP
timsdomain

timsdomain

Free Member
Jan 14, 2015
Baildon
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit
Exp
since 2000
I travel all over Europe in mine and never have any problems, even in the Spanish and Italian campsites which are well known to have small pitches! Some are 'challenging' but always doable :) makes it much easier with having the motor mover on trailer too
How's it been in terms of reliability?

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Well I've done approx 21000 miles in mine and it's been 100% reliable mechanically. The Alde heat exchanger recirculating pump leaked so I replaced that and the fuse blew on the PCB board so I replaced that too. Everything else has been perfect. I'd highly recommend them, built very solid and I through my ownership my brother in law even bought the same van too (y)

IMG_6863.JPG

OP
OP
timsdomain

timsdomain

Free Member
Jan 14, 2015
Baildon
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit
Exp
since 2000
I'm nearly convinced! my concerns were length and getting into pitches, driving in slippery conditions, reliability and cost of ownership. unless someone can give me a really good reason why i shouldn't i think i will get one!

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Well from my experience I would certainly go for it!

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I use M&J Auto Repairs on Butterley Street, LS10. I take all my vehicles to Mark, he is a top bloke who also owns a Dethleffs motorhome so understands it's your pride and joy and looks after them as if it's his own.

OP
OP
timsdomain

timsdomain

Free Member
Jan 14, 2015
Baildon
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit
Exp
since 2000