Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Just back from Thailand a two week holiday turned into a month due to the volcano! My son was stranded in Tobago, he was due back today but managed to get a standby on Monday. His school had 26 teachers missing for the same reason. we had a wonderful time but needed to get back so it did become a bit of a strain.......and lots of staff missing from my wifes college as well luckily her boss as well lol.

initially Thai airways where saying middle of May! but we taxied up to head office and got a flight for last Sunday which was 10 days late. Moral of this story? book with a European carrier. Thai abandoned us to fend for ourselves. my son was with BA and was taken to a nice hotel on full board! its cheap in Thailand so cost of staying on not to bad, but we know others stuck in New York and Dubai and that can get expensive!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
lucky you got back when you did with the escalating violence in Thailand at the moment.

British travel authorities/foreign office are recommending no-one travels to Thailand and especially major cities.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
lucky you got back when you did with the escalating violence in Thailand at the moment.

British travel authorities/foreign office are recommending no-one travels to Thailand and especially major cities.

My 18 year old daughter was in Bangkok until yesterday when she left for Kula Lumpar and then onto Bali on her gap year travels. she was staying in the backpackers district and totally oblivious of all the drama as no TV...but did say it was very quiet out and about!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
We got stuck in Portugal, bought a car and drove home, sold car and got on with the rest of our lives. :thumb:

I cant understand anyone complaining they were hopelessly stuck with no way home and demanding the army turn up and evacuate them back to Blighty. I do feel sorry for the folks who simply had no money to do anything but i read a story of people being "trapped" in Paris :ROFLMAO: which is quite simply laughable.

Anyone from anywhere in the world could have done what we did (if they had enough money). Got a flight to Barcelona, bought a UK registered car (there are 1000s all over Spain) and insured it over the internet, got European breakdown cover (cost us £45) and drove home.

We spend £175 on fuel and £100 in toll roads on our 1700 mile journey home. It took 2 days of almost constant driving but if you just stay where you are complaining not a lot is going to happen is it??

On another note anyone heard anything about this volcano that now seems to have vanished off the face of the Earth..............no me neither :Doh:

Myfanwy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2009
Cheddar Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
nine years
Volcano

It's funny you should ask!

I think its all been taken over now with the political programmes every day and Mr Brown's rude remarks about ordinary people of this country.

We were told it could be erupting for months surely its not just stopped last week!:winky:

Myfanwy

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
we came home a week ago .didnt even know about the volcano trouble untll we took the dog to the vets. unfortunately we had booked our return ferry would have been nice to have stayed abit longer in northern spain. red wine 55cents a litre good job i got a few in the truck. sit in front of the fire this weekend and speak spanish seems like 2 weeks ago .ha ha.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back