Any one driven from UK, through France to Spain in recent days? (1 Viewer)

Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Laika kreos 5010
Exp
I'm a newbie
Actually i dont think so.
This Pandemic was brought to Europe and the rest of the world NOT by people staying at home and converging on their local supermarkets.
It was spread around the whole world, causing misery and death by unsuspecting people who travel, and now it's spread by people who think that they are safe from it and the rules do not apply to them.
Those people will always think and say that what they do does no harm, HOW STUPID CAN YOU GET, it's killing people.
By traveling outside your local area you INCREASE the RISK.

Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Laika kreos 5010
Exp
I'm a newbie
almost ........let me fix that for you
inconsiderate T***S travelling here and there ? and NOT social distancing/following guidance ( travelling itself is not the cuplrit which is why we can sit on transport right next to each other like aircraft)
inconsiderate T***S not wearin masks
inconsiderate T***S meeting people outaide their bubble
inconsiderate T***S travelling not washing hands
inconsiderate T***S not wearing masks
inconsiderate T***S travelling here and not self isolating on return
inconsiderate T***S assuming it is just one of the above like travelling and not maybe keeping the other reasons a the fore front
99% of people get over this, 5 in 10000 under the age of 70 die. I think we have got this all wrong if you kill an economy more people will die than COVID ever killed over 100000 people are now waiting for surgery

Apr 7, 2008
Garstang, Lancashire, UK.
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RB
Exp
Since 1968.
Sorry Pete5996,
You should have said. But I only carry the Bury Black Puddings as the Blackpool Rock, due to my diabetes, has been off the menu for a good few years. In fact, as I write this we are just devouring a home made 'Full English' and have just scoffed the last two puddings of colour! I think we will be returning to either Caen or Calais this next week but coming up near to you.......'ish. Motorhome will be full of stuff that we think we might need, yeah right, sadly that's all.
Happy Christmas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
99% of people get over this, 5 in 10000 under the age of 70 die. I think we have got this all wrong if you kill an economy more people will die than COVID ever killed over 100000 people are now waiting for surgery
Could you just explain how not taking measures to reduce covid would let the NHS treat more people with other illnesses and avoid the increase in waiting lists?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Due to staff sickness, the current demand for appointments is far exceeding the capacity that we have available. We appreciate this is frustrating for you, as it is for us, so if you feel your problem or query can wait, please consider contacting us at a later date. Thank you for your support. Appletree

Just got this text from my surgery !!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Due to staff sickness, the current demand for appointments is far exceeding the capacity that we have available. We appreciate this is frustrating for you, as it is for us, so if you feel your problem or query can wait, please consider contacting us at a later date. Thank you for your support. Appletree

Just got this text from my surgery !!
I think they said in Wales they have 1200 hospital workers off either isolating or ill. There are bound to be reductions in capacity in all healthcare the higher the covid rate. We had one covid positive in the eye dept it caused a reduction in capacity for a couple of weeks.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Sorry Pete5996,
You should have said. But I only carry the Bury Black Puddings as the Blackpool Rock, due to my diabetes, has been off the menu for a good few years. In fact, as I write this we are just devouring a home made 'Full English' and have just scoffed the last two puddings of colour! I think we will be returning to either Caen or Calais this next week but coming up near to you.......'ish. Motorhome will be full of stuff that we think we might need, yeah right, sadly that's all.
Happy Christmas.

All is not lost as, by coincidence, in an hour's time, I'm meeting a man in a white van in a village car park where money will be exchanged for a kilo of dry cure bacon and some slices of black pudding - an early Xmas treat for myself :giggle:

Have a safe journey back and a Merry Xmas to you and yours(y)

Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Laika kreos 5010
Exp
I'm a newbie
Could you just explain how not taking measures to reduce covid would let the NHS treat more people with other illnesses and avoid the increase in waiting lists?
I’m not saying anything about reducing the spread but we should of shielded the the people at risk and let rest of us get on with it. By the time this vaccine gets rolled out we will have herd immunity anyways

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’m not saying anything about reducing the spread but we should of shielded the the people at risk and let rest of us get on with it. By the time this vaccine gets rolled out we will have herd immunity anyways
Hi Nick, It's quite lengthy but well worth a watch

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Exactly so if they do that won't there be more cases?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes but people will not be dying of it
It sounds like the start of the second wave to me cases increasing don't worry hospital numbers aren't neither are deaths a month later guess what!!! Looks like a third waves a cert to me late January.

Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Laika kreos 5010
Exp
I'm a newbie
It sounds like the start of the second wave to me cases increasing don't worry hospital numbers aren't neither are deaths a month later guess what!!! Looks like a third waves a cert to me late January.
I’ll be in spay

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm meeting a man in a white van in a village car park where money will be exchanged........ for a kilo of dry cure bacon and some slices of black pudding - an early Xmas treat for myself :giggle:
And for whom is the bacon and black pudding?

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
And for whom is the bacon and black pudding?

Well, the plan was for me to have a rare full English tomorrow morning but the man with the van forgot to bring my order with him:oops2: He's promised faithfully to sort it out later in the week....

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Errr, the map is measuring deaths, not infections.

Here is the Worldometer, view for Europe, as of midnight yesterday.
(Ordered by Deaths per million)
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

View attachment 447764
But no one except those in charge who are trying to make people think the UK has far less deaths than it has, is interested in % of total population.. It has 63k dead people. Top of the european list
It's the percentage of the population that is most important.
Only to those trying to justify that 8 other countries are above them.They aren't The Uk is top for deaths.
If the Uk was honest it could be even farther down the "% of population" if it owned up to the fact that the population is nigh on 80 million.
So, we've established it's ok to do the off from blighty and head down to the Costa's. So are the Aires open in France?
Can't see a problem. As I said some months back & the same today when for the first time for 6 weeks I have been allowed to enter Águilas, we are knee deep in French & Belgians. So they aren't taking much notice?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
But no one except those in charge who are trying to make people think the UK has far less deaths than it has, is interested in % of total population.. It has 63k dead people. Top of the european list

Read today that Spain underestimated Covid deaths in the first wave by 13,000

Spain's coronavirus death toll between March and May was amost 70% higher than the official count at the time, data from the National Statistics Institute (INE) showed on Thursday, prompting the opposition to complain of a government cover-up.
Spain was among the worst-hit European countries during the first wave of infections, with Health Ministry data showing fatalities approaching 900 per day by the end of March - the first month when the pandemic claimed lives in Spain.

The latest INE statistics showed 32,652 people died of a confirmed case of coronavirus over the period, while another 13,032 were suspected to have died of the virus after showing compatible symptoms but were never diagnosed.

COVID-19 indirectly contributed to the deaths of a further 4,218 people over the period, the INE also said.

That compares with an official Health Ministry death toll at the end of May of just 27,127. It now stands at 47,019.

Several other sources, including excess mortality statistics, which compare overall deaths across the country with historical averages, have also suggested that the official data underestimated the true coronavirus death toll.
Asked about the INE data, a health ministry spokeswoman said the discrepancy was due to differing data-collection systems.

While the INE data, based on death certificates, is more comprehensive, results are not obtained until six to nine months after a death, she said. Health ministry data is less exhaustive but available more rapidly, the spokeswoman added.

I don't think any country will know how accurate their figures are except China (maybe)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Laika kreos 5010
Exp
I'm a newbie
Has any of you Funsters driven through France into Spain in the last 7-10 days and if so was there any issue on the border re Covid check etc, any special documents required, PCR test? I’ve given up on trying to catch the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander at the same time arrange the results from a Covid test to be available within 72 hours of setting foot in Spain. A PCR test that would guarantee us getting the results in time would cost £590.00 for the two of us. Then the ferry could be delayed! So I am trying to explore the possibilities of driving through France via the tunnel. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Laika kreos 5010
Exp
I'm a newbie
Has any of you Funsters driven through France into Spain in the last 7-10 days and if so was there any issue on the border re Covid check etc, any special documents required, PCR test? I’ve given up on trying to catch the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander at the same time arrange the results from a Covid test to be available within 72 hours of setting foot in Spain. A PCR test that would guarantee us getting the results in time would cost £590.00 for the two of us. Then the ferry could be delayed! So I am trying to explore the possibilities of driving through France via the tunnel. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
On the euro tunnel at the moment no problem

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
This may have already been covered, sorry if it has, but are French Aires open??? Has anyone used them recently?

I’ve a long drive south through France this evening when I land in Calais in an hr and I will need to overnight somewhere, alternative is a motorway Aire.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
This may have already been covered, sorry if it has, but are French Aires open??? Has anyone used them recently?

I’ve a long drive south through France this evening when I land in Calais in an hr and I will need to overnight somewhere, alternative is a motorway Aire.
Most of the usual aires are open, including the Camping-Car Park network. Given the time of your arrival, somewhere local to Calais is recommended - curfew starts at 2000hrs French time, so best be parked up by then (y)

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years

I would not overnight on a motorway service area, why not exist the motorway and you will always find somewhere to stop in the nearest town/village, near the cemetery or the town hall or police station

Aug 10, 2014
Dorset by the sea
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584 Classic
Exp
Since 2016
My experience so far...
I was booked Portsmouth - Santander for today but due to no guarantee of receiving a PCR test result back in time changed it to Portsmouth - Caen for Sunday night.
I left Caen yesterday morning and drove to an Aire in Pons just south of Saintes. No problems en route and although I was the only one on the Aire it was open as usual.
Today I have travelled down into Spain and I’m now stopped on an Aire in Vitoria Gasteiz with about 30 other vans, mainly Spanish but a few French vans as well. The police had a roadblock about twenty miles back along the motorway and were directing Spanish registered cars and vans off onto the slip road where they were being stopped and questioned (Covid related?). Trucks and myself a British registered Motorhome were waved through.
I have a booking for a month (which I’ll probably extend) on a site in Andalucia so plan one more overnight tomorrow south of Madrid before I get there. If there is anything more of interest I’ll post tomorrow.

Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Laika kreos 5010
Exp
I'm a newbie
Nick wright - safe onwards journey, would be interested to hear your intended route/stoppovers to Spain.

Bon Chance
I’m going Rouen,evreux, Dreux I’m now at nonancourt for the night, tomorrow I’m heading for Orleans the over the Millau then from Perpignan on the n116 to puigcerda and onto manresa and lleida then Caspe,Alcanz and Morella

Aug 5, 2017
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
RV WindSport 32A
Exp
5 years only
Nick wright - safe onwards journey, would be interested to hear your intended route/stoppovers to Spain.

Bon Chance
In a bit of an order as the crow flies.
1, http://camping-sainteclaire.com/tarif-camping-76/ 2h from Calais. Next stop!
2, Camping Neuville https://www.campingneuville.com/ in Le Mans, English owned 16amp electricity, very quiet, still here but leaving Monday. Book online through site.
3, Twin Lakes, https://www.twinlakesfrance.com/ Montendre Good place to stock up as Intermarche 5 mins away.
4, Camping Du Toy, Herm. http://www.camping-du-toy.com/en/ Okay, Cheap with electric.
That's France!

Spain.
1,Burgos. http://www.campingburgos.com/ HOT showers! Need updating but place as with all, empty, very few vans and zero English.....
2, Salamanca. https://www.campingregio.com/ Nice! and nice Hotel with decent food discounted for campers.
this was on way down. on way back was, http://campingrutadelaplata.com/ was ok! Nothing special.
3, Caceres, https://www.campingcaceres.com/ Goood! Own cabin shower!

That's it for Spain as we turned right at Seville and went to the Algarve.
Bare in mind a lot didn't have facilities apart from electricity, dump and water. Most often, we where the only bods on site. Apart from Twin Lakes!
I would call ahead for each.
Have a safe drive.
Peter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back