Any one driven from UK, through France to Spain in recent days? (1 Viewer)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Wrong on this occasion Tam. Not that’s it a competition. Yes the headline figure for UK deaths is dreadful but look closer at the figures for the main countries in Europe. Cases as of today France has 2,337966, uk 1,787,783, Italy 1,787,147, Spain 1,734,386, Germany1,258,238. Deaths per million of population France 871, UK 927, Spain 1012, Italy 1036, Germany 250. Testing in the UK well beyond other countries. I look at the figures in the round, not just as a means to knock the UK. I regularly speak with friends and family throughout Europe who in turn would describe their retrospective governments as clowns. It is always easy to criticise from the sidelines. No country in Europe is getting things right.
As i said the uk has the worst figures in europe 🤷🏻‍♂️
Highest death toll also
3 x that of germany yet 15 million less in population .

And the benefit of being an island that could have with a decent government locked down quicker at the start

But we were apparently prepared for this .... Matt hancock February

And adopting herd immunity ....chief scientific advisor march

I look forward to the public enquiry next year ....but then again im still waiting to see the russian interference report soi doubt we will.

Worldbeating 👍

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My son as a pharmacist who has worked without a holiday since the beginning but advises his parents to stay home . I trust his opinion

I have worked (with my sons) almost throughout, taken reasonable precaution.

I see them all most days and we meet out of work - they do not live at home

- as a father my concerns are more for them - their mental and physical well-being..... each to his own

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Wrong on this occasion Tam. Not that’s it a competition. Yes the headline figure for UK deaths is dreadful but look closer at the figures for the main countries in Europe. Cases as of today France has 2,337966, uk 1,787,783, Italy 1,787,147, Spain 1,734,386, Germany1,258,238. Deaths per million of population France 871, UK 927, Spain 1012, Italy 1036, Germany 250. Testing in the UK well beyond other countries. I look at the figures in the round, not just as a means to knock the UK. I regularly speak with friends and family throughout Europe who in turn would describe their retrospective governments as clowns. It is always easy to criticise from the sidelines. No country in Europe is getting things right.
Spot on my friend. (y)
Belguim, Italy and Spain have a worse reported death rate per pop then the UK.
As for Covid cases Luxembourg, Belgium,Spain, France, Austria, Switzerland, Portugal, Sweden, Italy, Poland , Romania, Hungary. To name but a few European countries. All have worse Covid cases per population then the UK.
So don't take to much notice of the biased ill informed, who will always spout utter nonsense.

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
As i said the uk has the worst figures in europe 🤷🏻‍♂️
Highest death toll also
3 x that of germany yet 15 million less in population .

And the benefit of being an island that could have with a decent government locked down quicker at the start

But we were apparently prepared for this .... Matt hancock February

And adopting herd immunity ....chief scientific advisor march

I look forward to the public enquiry next year ....but then again im still waiting to see the russian interference report soi doubt we will.

Worldbeating 👍
Not getting into an argument. Once again Tam you are correct!!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I have worked (with my sons) almost throughout, taken reasonable precaution.

I see them all most days and we meet out of work - they do not live at home

- as a father my concerns are more for them - their mental and physical well-being..... each to his own
Me too for him especially as he was working in a pharmacy as a locumafter staff had Covid and at present he is isolating yet again. And as he is in the U.K. can’t see him . Our ex daughter in law is also a pharmacist and our grandchildren have also had to isolate during the pandemic because if their mother so please don’t indicate I don’t care for them . I am only saying that I trust the advice he has given to us which is to stay at home

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Me too for him especially as he was working in a pharmacy as a locumafter staff had Covid and at present he is isolating yet again. And as he is in the U.K. can’t see him . Our ex daughter in law is also a pharmacist and our grandchildren have also had to isolate during the pandemic because if their mother so please don’t indicate I don’t care for them . I am only saying that I trust the advice he has given to us which is to stay at home

Sorry I live in France and I certainly am not tarring everyone with the same brush but I just wish anyone travelling out with the regulations would just be honest .
ie I don’t give a stuff for the regulations because I want to do this

You don't HAVE to stay Home Anymore, the regulations on travel will end on Dec 15th except for the curfew, as Most thought they would, glass half full and all that...but feel free to stay at home if you so wish, but us who want to travel can, legally, so maybe now All the Preaching can stop... Keep Safe

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp

It seems you have a good relationship with your son, every family is different, my wife (their mother) passed away 7 years ago when my sons were in their 20's.

I'm 75, they are still young and need support and giving them that keeps me wanting to stay alive. I've seen them all struggle, mentally, through lockdown.

Breaking the 'rules' and meeting has kept them safe.......

...... and I don't need 'experts' to tell me how to look after my family!

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
For the latest figures per 100,000 people within Geographical Europe (Including Azerbaijan and Turkey) click on this link
https://www.tradewindsnews.com/peop...onation-as-covid-19-ravages-greece/2-1-928379
and scroll down to the bottom of the article for the interactive map.

(Hopefully it's not behind a paywall, as the original version is)

But in Summary deaths per 100,000:

Bulgaria and Slovenia are worst at 26/100,000
Italy, Austria, Switzerland Poland are in the mid teens
The UK is at 8
Netherlands, Spain, Germany are all about 5.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
It seems you have a good relationship with your son, every family is different, my wife (their mother) passed away 7 years ago when my sons were in their 20's.

I'm 75, they are still young and need support and giving them that keeps me wanting to stay alive. I've seen them all struggle, mentally, through lockdown.

Breaking the 'rules' and meeting has kept them safe.......

...... and I don't need 'experts' to tell me how to look after my family!
You take care if yourself and family . These are the times when I wish we were nearer .

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
For the latest figures per 100,000 people within Geographical Europe (Including Azerbaijan and Turkey) click on this link
https://www.tradewindsnews.com/peop...onation-as-covid-19-ravages-greece/2-1-928379

The UK is at 8
Figures conflict with Worldometer, Belgium still the worst, Bulgaria less than UK,and Slovenia fractionally above UK. We will never know the ‘real’ figures.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

The UK is at 8
This is the bit i find incredibly amusing
Personally i couldn't care less how many infections there are the same way i dont care who has the cold

Im interested in the number of people in each country who have died from this virus ....many who didn't need to if government had done things differently.

Infections dont matter ...most of those will have a mild flu and recover .

63000 deaths matters

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Not getting into an argument. Once again Tam you are correct!!
It isnt an argument ...i dont care about how many per hundred thousand as im sure the families of the poor souls that died in care homes etc dont either.
I just care that in Europe the uk has the highest death toll at 63+ thousand the closest 2nd being italy at 62 thousand

No other had the advantage of being an island nor the advantage of being forewarned as we were
I remember when Italy had only 100 and odd deaths warning the uk what was coming ....i was working for italians at the time last january ....and what action was taken ? None ...instead we had the health secretary claim the uk was fully prepared for any event.
a government telling us they were following the science
the chief scientist stating on live radio the uk was following a plan of herd immunity .....

Mistake after mistake after mistake and denial after denial

U turn after u turn

Thats the facts

Nothing to argue about 🤷🏻‍♂️

I like many others have my own suspicion why things were delayed ....uk too busy debating big ben bongs and distracted by other matters to take any advice from our enemy.
But we won't go there.

If theres ever an inquiry it will come out in the wash .....yeah right.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
This is the bit i find incredibly amusing
Personally i couldn't care less how many infections there are the same way i dont care who has the cold

Im interested in the number of people in each country who have died from this virus ....many who didn't need to if government had done things differently.

Infections dont matter ...most of those will have a mild flu and recover .

63000 deaths matters

Errr, the map is measuring deaths, not infections.

Here is the Worldometer, view for Europe, as of midnight yesterday.
(Ordered by Deaths per million)
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

1607640907198.png

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Exactly and look who has the most at 63,082.

That's right the uk

How many hundred thousand people were around them at the time is just smokescreen
Now look at the total population figures
That's right, UK is also has the biggest population

It's the percentage of the population that is most important.
The overall number per country is the smokescreen.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Depends what you mean by getting things right. I would agree nowhere has had the success of places like Australia with early and strict action but Germany's death toll stands out as better than the others.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Depends what you mean by getting things right. I would agree nowhere has had the success of places like Australia with early and strict action but Germany's death toll stands out as better than the others.

Depends if you believe Germanys' figures.............

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

The UK is at 8
They are the figures for a recent small window of time not the pandemic so far. It's obvious when you look at the figure of 8 per 100,000 thats 80 a million we are way above that as a whole. The figures per million for the pandemic put us near the top. Very similar to France and Spain a lot worse than Germany.
Countries that acted strongly and early have done better and at the end will have less economic loss. The thought that ignore it hope for the best and support short term economic mitigation will work I think is way off. Stronger action and earlier has caused short term economic loss but as the countries then can open up more fully in the longer term they have done better in health and the economy. Look at Sweden and Norway. Sweden is well known for taking less action. They have 10 times more dead than Norway but just as much if not more GDP loss. Why would anyone want that.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
They are the figures for a recent small window of time not the pandemic so far. It's obvious when you look at the figure of 8 per 100,000 thats 80 a million we are way above that as a whole. The figures per million for the pandemic put us near the top. Very similar to France and Spain a lot worse than Germany.
Countries that acted strongly and early have done better and at the end will have less economic loss. The thought that ignore it hope for the best and support short term economic mitigation will work I think is way off. Stronger action and earlier has caused short term economic loss but as the countries then can open up more fully in the longer term they have done better in health and the economy. Look at Sweden and Norway. Sweden is well known for taking less action. They have 10 times more dead than Norway but just as much if not more GDP loss. Why would anyone want that.

I think you put too much effort into the speculation surrounding this pandemic.........

.......... there is still less than 1.5 million deaths Worldwide - population 8000 million...........

........ in the UK alone 100,000 more are now waiting at least a year for urgent care for other serious conditions................ignored because of the focus on Covid

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think you put too much effort into the speculation surrounding this pandemic.........

.......... there is still less than 1.5 million deaths Worldwide - population 8000 million...........

........ in the UK alone 100,000 more are now waiting at least a year for urgent care for other serious conditions................ignored because of the focus on Covid
I don't see how not acting to reduce the spread of covid so there are more covid cases in hospital helps to treat other conditions could you please explain your logic?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
I don't see how not acting to reduce the spread of covid so there are more covid cases in hospital helps to treat other conditions could you please explain your logic?

The focus on Covid is killing others with untreated serious conditions - and it will get much worse over the whole health care system.......

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
7 Pages of cretinous blather, there’s a bit of an (at the moment) uncureable flu going around, it kills people, mix with your own family if allowed and after your own risk assessment, and stay away from others if that’s what the rules say cos if you don’t, you risk killing your own family as well as others, now don’t be silly and obey the rules, and if you don’t know what they are, 4 cough cos your a nob! Stay safe all, and live another day, as the Bond film says, or have I got that wrong? :unsure:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Going to work is for a lot of people an essential, and those employees and employers go to great length's to minimise the risk's, is it ok, yes, they have to work to feed their families.
So as i said, "fancy a trip to Spain" is not in anyone's language essential travel.
The title of this thread is quite clear. If you have no interest in traveling why are you bothering?

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Depends if you believe Germanys' figures.............
Or the UK’s. Anyone’s for that matter.

If someone died, say of heart attack or stroke, as examples. But, from uk Gov website....

Defining a COVID-19 death

Although it might seem straightforward, counting the number of people who have died from COVID-19 related illness is complex.

The infection can lead to death soon after diagnosis, but it may also cause death many weeks later. Someone who tests positive can of course die from another cause such as cancer or heart disease at any time.

A death in someone who has tested positive becomes progressively less likely to be directly due to COVID-19 as time passes and more likely to be due to another cause. However, there is no agreed cut-off after which COVID-19 can be excluded as a likely cause and sadly, we know that some people die from their infection many weeks later. Coronavirus can also contribute to a death

Apr 7, 2008
Garstang, Lancashire, UK.
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RB
Exp
Since 1968.
So, we've established it's ok to do the off from blighty and head down to the Costa's. So are the Aires open in France?
Well, back to the main subject of this episode, we left home in the UK last Sunday. Mr Macron has closed the campsites in France but we found Aires to be open. We arrived at a site in Perigueux on Tuesday and was turned away but the Aire was open by the river. Wednesday we arrived at Navarrete in Spain and was again turned away but went twenty miles west and was accepted no problem at all. Arrived here in Cervera del Maestre yesterday afternoon, to sign legal papers with regard to selling our property here and have to say we didn't see any law enforcement officers in the 1400 miles of mainly very very quiet roads. Fingers crossed we shall be feeling the money on Monday and as soon at it clears and is transferred to the UK we will be on our way back to the land of Bury Black Puddings and Blackpool Rock. Might be back for Christmas, happy days.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back