Any ideas for getting rid of awful smell in fridge? (1 Viewer)

spara

Free Member
Jan 31, 2017
Funster No
MH
Starspirit
Exp
since 2008
We parked up and switched the fridge to gas. Next morning the light was flickering and the fridge no longer working which didn't seem too bad as we were on our way home ... until I remembered the piece of frozen venison steak. The defrosted blood seemed to get into every crack and did not smell good. Have tried thorough cleaning with white vinegar; campden tablets etc - it's improved but not good. What has worked for you?
Or yes, and my tip is - never freeze meat in a polythene bag!

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
Bicarbonate of soda.. wipe it out with a strongest solution ( dissolved in water)
Then leave an opened container of the same powder in the fridge to absorb the smell.
Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
hand-grenade.
I didn't realise they had odour eating properties ... every day's a school day! :D

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Oh yes, not much of the smell left when you use one of these bad boys. Or much else for that matter.

OP
OP
spara

spara

Free Member
Jan 31, 2017
Funster No
MH
Starspirit
Exp
since 2008
Searching the cupboards now ...

OP
OP
spara

spara

Free Member
Jan 31, 2017
Funster No
MH
Starspirit
Exp
since 2008
but not for the hand grenade!

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
If there are stubbornly inaccessible grooves, corners etc, you can mix bicarb up with literally a few drops of water to a stiff paste and shove it into said cracks any way you can. Then ignore the appliance for a few days. Then flush it back out again with plenty of hot water, and dry it a bit with a dry cloth, before leaving it to finish the job naturally. Hopefully it will do the trick.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Inside the lower vent you'll see a small plastic container attached to the back of the fridge. It's where the condensation drain ends up. Yours will have a quantity of slowly cooking blood in it. Remove and clean. At the same time check that the drain is clear with a length of curtain wire or similar.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I can hear something like "serves you right" from all the vegans out there:)
Great tips from all those who have come up with a solutions thus far, even I have learnt something tonight(y) Hope it works, cant stand whiffy appliances, if not try the good old fashioned hand grenade option, now that would be a Cillet Bang!:eek:
Les

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Take everything out shelves etc
Wash with a solution of bicarbonate of soda . Turn off and leave open till the smell goes
Basically the smell is caused by bacteria. Once all the “seepage” is dry the smell will go because the bacteria have no nutrients

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Buy some very ripe unpasteurised soft cheese (the type that has a bio hazard sign on it). You will not notice the original smell at all.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If there are stubbornly inaccessible grooves, corners etc, you can mix bicarb up with literally a few drops of water to a stiff paste and shove it into said cracks any way you can. Then ignore the appliance for a few days. Then flush it back out again with plenty of hot water, and dry it a bit with a dry cloth, before leaving it to finish the job naturally. Hopefully it will do the trick.
You can also use a spray bottle with a strong solution of bicarb for the really really difficult places!

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Just open a tin of
Surströmming in the van you will never smell the fridge again.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Not sure if this will help in this situation but when storing the van, spray inside the fridge with a good dose of Dettol disinfectant spray. Close the door and leave for a week or so. Also spray into air intake of vehicle (when running) this will clear out anything lurking in the aircon unit.

OP
OP
spara

spara

Free Member
Jan 31, 2017
Funster No
MH
Starspirit
Exp
since 2008
Trying a few of the remedies today - thanks for the variety of cures - I'll let you know how it goes

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It'll be the condensation drain. If you open the lower external fridge vent you may see the other end of it. Give the whole lot a good wash.

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Fresh ground Coffee in an open container will keep any fridge fresh. I keep about a tablespoon in a small container and put lid on when travelling.

OP
OP
spara

spara

Free Member
Jan 31, 2017
Funster No
MH
Starspirit
Exp
since 2008
Sorry to be so long getting back to say a big thank you to all who sent their cures for the awful smell - I tried quite a few of them and I now have a delightful smell free fridge! What a relief that is!
Anyone tried stopping at the Formby pubs recently? Have late Thursday and early Friday hospital appointments at Aintree for a few weeks so looking for a cheap overnight not too far away ..
Sparra

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back