Any ideas as to possible cause? (1 Viewer)

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Went down to the motorhome today, have not been able to get there for a few weeks but was not too concerned as the solar charger was working well and batteries fine. Central locking wouldn't unlock from the fob so I let myself in using the key manually to unlock. checked the 12v system and both the habitation and vehicle batteries are virtually fully charged - watched solar charger working as well. All the batteries including the vehicle battery, are only a few months old.

Tried to start the van as I thought I would take it for a run, and there isn't a flicker of life - zilch. Stereo also not powering on, no dash lights, no starter turning over, nothing.

Where should I start with troubleshooting this?

First thought was to perhaps buy a new battery for the keyfob but are there any other issues I should check before having to pay ££££ to get someone out to it?

The van is an Adria Vision on a Renault Master chassis.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Tried to start the van as I thought I would take it for a run, and there isn't a flicker of life - zilch. Stereo also not powering on, no dash lights, no starter turning over, nothing.

If you haven't disconnected your immobiliser, then the van wont start????? You had to manually unlock the door. So, (in theory), the van still thinks it's in 'safe' mode. ?????

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
First thought was immobiliser, never had an issue with it before but I suppose it could happen. Its always worked no problems, but I suppose electronics have a habit of dying for no apparent reason. We are on the main Don Amott storage site so I guess the workshop techs could be booked to come and sort it out or I could look for a mobile auto electrician.

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
If you haven't disconnected your immobiliser, then the van wont start????? You had to manually unlock the door. So, (in theory), the van still thinks it's in 'safe' mode. ?????

Yes true, but I cannot get the fob to work to disarm the immobiliser and open the door via central locking. Also most other vehicles I have driven, the stereo works even when the immobiliser is armed.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Went down to the motorhome today, have not been able to get there for a few weeks but was not too concerned as the solar charger was working well and batteries fine. Central locking wouldn't unlock from the fob so I let myself in using the key manually to unlock. checked the 12v system and both the habitation and vehicle batteries are virtually fully charged - watched solar charger working as well. All the batteries including the vehicle battery, are only a few months old.

Where should I start with troubleshooting this?

First thought was to perhaps buy a new battery for the keyfob but are there any other issues I should check before having to pay ££££ to get someone out to it?

The van is an Adria Vision on a Renault Master chassis.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

No harm in trying a new fob battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sounds somewhat like the vehicle battery has failed. the solar panels give the impression its fully charged. but when you turn the key, nothing other than a few lights will work

try disconnecting the panels from the regulator, then remeasure the battery voltage after a few minutes

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
No harm in trying a new fob battery.

Will try that during the week , hopefully its a simple fix but I did see the little light on the fob seemed to be working so not sure it will be that easy to solve.....maybe its too weak to send a signal though, on its last legs. Haven't changed fob batteries in years so could be that.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Happened to me earlier this year when the van had been sitting. It unlocked ok but nothing on the ignition switch, like yours, dash lights and everything dead. Don't ask me which bit of electronics it fed but when I checked under the seating I found a blown in-line fuse amongst the connections between the original external leisure battery and the second one mounted in the locker. At the time I didn't know I had a battery master on there and assumed the vehicle hadn't been charging from the solar panel. I've since learnt there was one fitted along with the panel last year so quite what was wrong I still don't know. I replaced the fuse and put the vehicle battery on charge since when it's been ok.

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
sounds somewhat like the vehicle battery has failed. the solar panels give the impression its fully charged. but when you turn the key, nothing other than a few lights will work

try disconnecting the panels from the regulator, then remeasure the battery voltage after a few minutes

Brand new vehicle battery, installed only 2 or 3 months ago. Fob not opening the central locking. No lights whatsoever on dash when key in ignition, stereo not going on.
The Adria's Electroblok uses a smart charge type system integrating the solar panel regulator directly to the Elecktroblok and is generally pretty accurate, but its worth a try, maybe I should take my heavy duty jump starter up and see if its a battery issue, but Iwould have thought that a 2 month old Bosch battery would have a tiny bit of life in it.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I have an Adria Matrix on a fiat with a cobra alarm, on the odd occasion when I try to open the doors with the alarm fob it won't unlock the hab door. I then manually unlock it and use the original key fob not alarm fob to lock all doors, once I have done this I then unlock and lock with alarm fob and it can take several attempts before all doors lock and unlock. This normally happens if van hasn't been opened for a week or two.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I would look for a loose battery connection. Assuming the connections to the battery are like most, a clamp onto the terminal and the extra connections are bolted to the clamp. Any one of the wires could have come adrift.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would check all the earth wires especially if new battery were all the cables correctly fitted

OP
OP
camcondor

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
I would check all the earth wires especially if new battery were all the cables correctly fitted
Yes, started up all good no issues when the new starter battery was fitted. Access to the starter battery is dreadful in the Renault Master cab, so I got the workshop guys to do it. It started perfectly with the new battery.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Yes, started up all good no issues when the new starter battery was fitted. Access to the starter battery is dreadful in the Renault Master cab, so I got the workshop guys to do it. It started perfectly with the new battery.
double and triple check your charging system then to ensure all connections are clean, and the alternator is putting out a good charge. I wuld also investigate the electroblok as something is killing the batteries. mind you its not unheard of for a new battery to fail in weeks. get it tested and replaced under warranty

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back