Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The manufacturers don't always provide a spare wheel because it cost them to do so and eats into the payload, it's got nothing to do with whether is is wise to have one or not.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm looking forward to getting involved with this spare wheel controversy. It's been over 25 years since I had a puncture on any vehicle. I need to hone my skills.šŸ˜

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
It is a weight saving exercise to improve the fuel economy of their products in order that they meet the standards imposed so we can enjoy an better environment from lower emissions. Adding a spare wheel increases fuel costs due to the extra weight, small though that might be it all adds up. Spacesaver wheels were an alternative.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
That statement sounds like very poor advice, most breakdown companies state that you must have a serviceable spare wheel, meaning not one thatā€™s punctured or already flat or baldy, but in a condition to fit to the vehicle, but as for not really needing to carry oneat all. Well... I am lost for ā€˜words.
That may have been the old advice however

Stay on the road with the RAC Universal Spare Wheel
We rolled out the RAC universal spare wheel to all patrol vans in 2014 in response to the number of new cars being sold without a spare wheel.

To date they have been used more than one million times to help get our members back on the road and avoid the need for recovery.

In 2018 our patrols dealt with almost 200,000 ā€˜puncture no spareā€™ breakdowns ā€“ an increase of 84% on 2012.
And the RAC video to go with it

The AA said:

New AA Multi-fit spare wheel saves hours at the roadside
Thanks to the pothole puncture epidemic and the fact that up to a third of newer cars donā€™t have a spare, the AA has come up with a unique solution to help drivers.
(28 April 2016)

Green Flag article Spare wheel: is it the end of the road?

So guys and girls get with the program ;) Leave that spare at home.

A spare tyre is like comfort blanket rarely used.....and if you have alloys chances are the spare is a different size anyway and when you do go to use it its flat or perished.

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
However have you checked that the Universal spare Wheel program I suitable for a 3500kg vehicle. I discovered with my motorhome bought from a dealer that ordinary car tyres just do not do the job. I had two blowouts on a single journey and thanks to two German policemen at midnight on a public holiday got me on the road again. I had to have the "C" rated tyres. The Germans would have prosecuted a German dealer if the tyres were unsuited to the vehicle.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm looking forward to getting involved with this spare wheel controversy. It's been over 25 years since I had a puncture on any vehicle. I need to hone my skills.šŸ˜
You need to try harder, on my first Motorhome where I haven't had one, last Motorhome got one in a tyre that had only done 20 miles. Daughter picked up a brand new car 23 hours of ownership roofing bolt through the shoulder writing off the tyre. I've had 2 tyres blow on caravans writing of the tyre. Numerous punctures on cars.

When I picked up the current van decided to get a tyre and rim myself to save a couple of hundred quid, it made a stressful drive home from the dealers with no spare.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You need to try harder, on my first Motorhome where I haven't had one, last Motorhome got one in a tyre that had only done 20 miles. Daughter picked up a brand new car 23 hours of ownership roofing bolt through the shoulder writing off the tyre. I've had 2 tyres blow on caravans writing of the tyre. Numerous punctures on cars.

When I picked up the current van decided to get a tyre and rim myself to save a couple of hundred quid, it made a stressful drive home from the dealers with no spare.
I do carry a spare. That's what stops me having them šŸ˜. I've had the odd flat when parked up, nails or my personal favourite, a pop rivet. But nothing that's required a roadside wheel change or use of the spare.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Whatever spare wheel you go for do something better with supporting the wiring around the cart spring hanger than the towbar installer managed

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
However have you checked that the Universal spare Wheel program I suitable for a 3500kg vehicle. I discovered with my motorhome bought from a dealer that ordinary car tyres just do not do the job. I had two blowouts on a single journey and thanks to two German policemen at midnight on a public holiday got me on the road again. I had to have the "C" rated tyres. The Germans would have prosecuted a German dealer if the tyres were unsuited to the vehicle.
Yup always check your tyres I had a BMW Z4 with standard tyres in stead of run flats which have a harder tyre wall, the car handled poorly had the run flats put on and the car handled as expected, another low slung car I mentioned in a previous post had to go back to the factory for a new tyre any tyre of the size could have been fitted but it would not have had the performance rating required of said car.

There is a car in my garage right now that is on its Jacks wheels off etc and being sorted (by me) it is unlikely that AA/RAC?universal carry the type of tyres required for this car so if I have a puncture it would have to be transported back.

But a MoHo the tyres are fairly available so I think in general we have to get over the idea of having to have a spare, you don't need one in law, and the recovery/rescue companies know that vehicles are not being supplied with them

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The manufacturers don't always provide a spare wheel because it cost them to do so and eats into the payload, it's got nothing to do with whether is is wise to have one or not.
Costs are normally passed on to the consumer its more like as you say payload and economy

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
But a MoHo the tyres are fairly available so I think in general we have to get over the idea of having to have a spare, you don't need one in law, and the recovery/rescue companies know that vehicles are not being supplied with them

All well and good if you are on a camp site. However, I would not want to wake up in the wilds of Scotland to find a flat tyre and then have to describe where I was on the phone to some one next to the M5 in Birmingham (RAC) or central Basingstoke (AA). They may well be great at coming out, collecting you and your wheel to go to a nearby garage to get a new one fitted or your old one fixed but the time wasted makes carrying a spare the better option to me.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
All well and good if you are on a camp site. However, I would not want to wake up in the wilds of Scotland to find a flat tyre and then have to describe where I was on the phone to some one next to the M5 in Birmingham (RAC) or central Basingstoke (AA). They may well be great at coming out, collecting you and your wheel to go to a nearby garage to get a new one fitted or your old one fixed but the time wasted makes carrying a spare the better option to me.
With GPS you know where you are or 3 square words (not something I use) location identification these days is a doddle, Iā€™m in my MoHo chill relax and have another cuppa whilst awaiting the concierge service to change that wheel :cool: But each to their own I guess.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
It8
Ordering spare wheel carrier, hoping to fit this coming weekend. Hopefully the box will not get in the way, if it does it will be a case of moving or getting a smaller box.
Thanks everyone for you I put and help itā€™s appreciated
Andy
Itā€™s unlikely youā€™ll get away with a smaller box. Take the cover and have a look But I doubt thereā€™s much spare room! These are not unique to MHā€™s... I used them on Horse box trailers too.

you can move it...if the cabling is long enough! šŸ¤”šŸ‘

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
That box appears to be like one under mine which has the habitation battery box (fairly close) with the wires in and out. Made of steel and needing a good sorting as it is rusting (why in these days they have not used plastic?) so will get that job sorted soon.
Replaced the box with one of plastic bought from Screwfix, why on earth have a steel one underneath where it gets all the grot from the road? Anyway, it contains the habitation battery main fuse

Tim Forsey

Free Member
Apr 15, 2015
Newark
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
our new to us Burstner Brevio 2016 came without a spare wheel, today I took a look underneath to see if I can retro fit the carrier, the bolt holes are there but the problem as I see it is this white box which I think will foul the wheel. Anyone got an idea what it is šŸ¤”
Thanks in advance
Andy

View attachment 400194
looks like electrical box for towbar/levelling, easy to move

OP
OP
Andy1954
Jul 6, 2018
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
burstner brevio t640
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks all for your input.
Bought the fixing kit local garage fitted it.
Already had the spare, total cost Ā£154
Feel better having a spare, also the box was not a issue

Attachments

• 9B04E5DD-89DF-4B42-8403-E1A7D33EFA39.jpeg
    9B04E5DD-89DF-4B42-8403-E1A7D33EFA39.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 599401DB-62F3-4D2F-951A-5B1CA670C9A8.jpeg
    599401DB-62F3-4D2F-951A-5B1CA670C9A8.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 44
Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
our new to us Burstner Brevio 2016 came without a spare wheel, today I took a look underneath to see if I can retro fit the carrier, the bolt holes are there but the problem as I see it is this white box which I think will foul the wheel. Anyone got an idea what it is šŸ¤”
Thanks in advance
Andy

View attachment 400194
Hi Andy, we have a Hymer C408, which is essentially the same but with Hymer badging. Which carrier did you go for and was it successful? I'm looking for one for ours as I'd feel much happier knowing that I have a certain fix for a flat, rather than sticky stuff blown into the tyre. (We don't have that box)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
My breakdown cover insists on my having a spare tyre on board when abroad.
Interesting so how do all those vehicles not fitted with a spare coupe when having a breakdown? I suspect itā€™s an old requirement as a huge % of vehicles no longer have a spare and many particularly cars do not have space for such a thing ! .....just saying.

Reactions: Aji

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Our breakdown cover says "spare wheel where originally provided by manufacturer".

Car has a spare, van doesn't but we carry a spare tyre and have been told that as long as we notify the breakdown company they will send a vehicle that can replace the tyre. Just have to hope the wheel rim isn't damaged :(

Reactions: JJ

JJ

MƔgica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I don't care what anyone says, no matter how much they argue or how many questions they pose...

I don't go anywhere without a spare wheel, a jack and wheel brace.

If I get a puncture in the middle of nowhere, out of range of any mobile signal, I have the option of changing the wheel myself in a far quicker and more convenient way than trying to contact any breakdown company.

But... this is only what I think and in no way do I want anyone else to do the same simply on my say so.

JJ :cool:

OP
OP
Andy1954
Jul 6, 2018
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
burstner brevio t640
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Andy, we have a Hymer C408, which is essentially the same but with Hymer badging. Which carrier did you go for and was it successful? I'm looking for one for ours as I'd feel much happier knowing that I have a certain fix for a flat, rather than sticky stuff blown into the tyre. (We don't have that box)

<Broken link removed>

we bought similar to above, had it fitted at my local garage, biggest problem is it came without the big Allen type key, had to buy one separately. Not had to use it yet

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Our breakdown cover says "spare wheel where originally provided by manufacturer".

Car has a spare, van doesn't but we carry a spare tyre and have been told that as long as we notify the breakdown company they will send a vehicle that can replace the tyre. Just have to hope the wheel rim isn't damaged :(
Again an interesting comment, so at 5.4 metreā€™s where does the breakdown service expect us to store a wheel or tyre when manufacturers are in general terms no longer providing spare wheels ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Again an interesting comment, so at 5.4 metreā€™s where does the breakdown service expect us to store a wheel or tyre when manufacturers are in general terms no longer providing spare wheels ?
We are lucky in that we have a garage where the spare tyre sits and is packed with things that don't need to be kept clean (or are kept in bags). If the manufacturer didn't provide a spare then the breakdown service will get you to a place of safety and at least attempt to source a replacement (or get you to a tyre place that can do that). Some breakdown services also provide hotel accommodation and the like.

On a small van I think the only options for carrying a spare are:

1) Don't and make sure the breakdown covers the no spare scenario
2) On the back Jeep style (but lengthens the van and may get in the way of roof ladders / bike rack)
3) On the bonnet Safari Style (but may contravene all sorts of other things)
4) On the roof (but might get too hot and perish and the roof might not be strong enough to take the weight)
5) Under slung if there is space
6) Something more inventive where the spare is part of an external locker and the space around and inside the wheel / type is utilised.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back