LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Whilst having the service done on motor yesterday,,,, I asked them to do a few checks etc...

One of these was,,, when I open the gas locker,,, there is a faint whiff of gas... :whatthe:

By all accounts on one of the gas-lo refillable bottles is a very slight leak at the top of the bottle...

No mention of nipping it up.... only we can drain it down and put you new bottle on...

By all accounts who ever fitted the gas-lo system,,,, used PTF tape..... which so they said should not have been used.. :Sad:

Now do I need a new bottle or can it be nipped up a bit or drain and use the correct thread sealer...

Or is there another way of putting some thing round the Very, Very small leak.. ?

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Mo, I would think that removal of ptfe tape and a clean up and inspection of threads and then refit would solve it. Use leak detector (or washing up liquid) to check for any leak.
Cheers
Bernie.:thumb:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
It should be possible to nip it up a bit, we had the same thing on one of our bottles I just nipped I up a bit more it was OK then.

Gaslow do use PTFE tape on most of the bottles I have seen, it is for gas connections though. Its thicker tape than for water pipes.

Mine went less than a quarter turn when I did it.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Mo

agree with previous post (Bernie's) .. but don't use anything abrasive on the joint faces... they depend on a scratch free surface to make a gas tight seal.

as an aside..

PTEF tape used correctly and for the proper job is good stuff .. but it can be a curse..

It caused problems on the North Sea oil and gas platform I worked on.. one particular incident I remember was a tiny piece went down an air supply line and blocked a jet in a pneumatic level instrument.. it was subsequently banned..

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Tip - Stub your fag out before opening the gas locker:thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am under the impression, might well be wrong, that ptfe tape on a yellow reel is for gas joints it seems to be slightly thicker than the other.
On the gasit bottles the gas outlet side is already done so don't need any, but when I did mine and had a leak on the filler side I used some and it's been fine but as it is only under pressure when you fill it can't leak any other time.
Incidently why are you not supposed to use it? Gasit have it in their shop so must be there if you want it.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I am under the impression, might well be wrong, that ptfe tape on a yellow reel is for gas joints it seems to be slightly thicker than the other.
On the gasit bottles the gas outlet side is already done so don't need any, but when I did mine and had a leak on the filler side I used some and it's been fine but as it is only under pressure when you fill it can't leak any other time.
I[HI]ncidently why are you not supposed to use it? Gasit have it in their shop so must be there if you want it.[/HI]:thumb:

That depends on the type of joint..

If it is a taper thread joint then PTFE is used to both lubricate the thread and provide a gas tight seal..

If it is a surface to surface joint , as have on a propane regulator then it isn't used.. nor is it used with pipe fittings that use olives for the seal.

As I said earlier.. used indiscriminately and without understanding why it is being used... it can be dangerous..

that is why we have qualified and certified gas fitters.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It is yellow, it's designed for gas, and only one turn of it should be employed. Only certain types of joint require it and as far as I remember there aren't any on the Gaslow system. Just tighten the joint up.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
That depends on the type of joint..

If it is a taper thread joint then PTFE is used to both lubricate the thread and provide a gas tight seal..

If it is a surface to surface joint , as have on a propane regulator then it isn't used.. nor is it used with pipe fittings that use olives for the seal.

As I said earlier.. used indiscriminately and without understanding why it is being used... it can be dangerous..

that is why we have qualified and certified gas fitters.

Thanks , that's ok then that's where I have used it but ask again , why are you not supposed to use it, does it degrade or react to the gas or what

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
inspect which part is actually leaking first. although very uncommon cylinders do very very rarely develop leaks from welded collars. in this case it would be safer to replace it. even if you could find somebody that would weld it, it wouldn't be safe. unlike a motorbike petrol tank, the contents is constantly under high pressure so will find any weak point

if its just a manual joint, then try tightening it first. if this doesnt work, drain the tank (use it up) then dismantle the joint clean it up and remake the joint with calortight or lpg safe ptfe

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I think I would be tempted to find a different service agent who might choose a much less expensive option.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks , that's ok then that's where I have used it but ask again , why are you not supposed to use it, does it degrade or react to the gas or what

it won't react with LPG ..the danger is if used where it is not supposed to be used,

ie face to face joints where the thread has absolutely nothing to do with the seal.. then the joint may leak.. that is the danger..also, .. small bits that may break off can migrate and go places you really don't want them to be.. like in the jet of your fridge. ... not a killer.. but very inconvenient.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back