LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
As of late I am getting upwards of 100 spam & junk mail`s, a day, some are downright filthy. :Angry:

Getting to the stage I dont really want to check my email`s..

Have got the latest Norton anti virus..

Is there anything else I can install ?

Please.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Maurice

I had the same problem until I changed my email address.

I told everybody that needed to know my new address (like 1500 BPG Members :Eeek:) BUT I left the original email address in place (it is free of charge, any way!)

I then told the original email address to tighten up on security - at the same time I told the new address to import ONLY the good mail from the old address.

So now I only get good mail on the new address and all the spam goes to the old address. Every so often I check it and dump it but most of the time I just dump it - if anything really important is in there, The people will either ring me or re-send it :thumb:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
There are plenty of free programs such as MailWasher which can help get rid of a lot of the junk but also can get rid of safe emails you just have to watch the settings. Do a search for spam filters there are lots of good reliable ones for free.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Hello there. a couple of years ago, my old pc was bombarded with junk/spam, and as you say, some were quite offensive. lt came to a point that l didn't want to even use the computer any more because of the trash that was lying within.
Then came the time to either upgrade or just bin the old pc because it had had it, and go back to being without one altogether. Then my brother, told me to try an Apple MacBook laptop.
Now, you must realise that l am in my 50s, computer illiterate, and have only been used to a gas powered, hearing aid grey, wardrobe sized tower driven computer, with a 7ft deep monitor, that wouldn't look out of place in any museum.
So, what should l do? My brother had his Apple MacBook already a year and was praising it beyond doubt, l had to take the plunge and wake up to the fact that l would have to go on a computer course for idiots.
l bought the aforementioned laptop, and well, all l can say is what a great thing it is. Marvelous!
Now the point l am getting at is the fact that l hardly get junk mail, spam, or any other offensive material. What bit, and l mean bit, l do get is trapped and disposed of straight away, its all in the apple!
Its a wonderful, practical, efficient piece of kit. It works, it has everything incorporated in it, and l didn't even have to go to college to learn how to use it.
l still have my old e-mail address, but, can count on one hand the amount of junk i have received since l bought it. simsy

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Thanks simsy56,

Just bought a new laptop.:cry:. So will have to go down the road of changing email address.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Thanks simsy56,

Just bought a new laptop.:cry:. So will have to go down the road of changing email address.

Hi!

i've been through the same problems. I changed the anti virus( free antivir+ AVG anti spam and Ccleaner) and signed with microsoft "one care". I feel quiet now ! It got rid of all that mess and i never had anymore rubbish!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As of late I am getting upwards of 100 spam & junk mail`s, a day, some are downright filthy. :Angry:

Getting to the stage I dont really want to check my email`s..

Have got the latest Norton anti virus..

Is there anything else I can install ?

Please.

print 'em all then chuck 'em in the fire/bin !
gives you satifaction knowing you did something with them...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

i just read the ones i want then delete the rest. :thumb:

Last edited:

colonel

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Mailwasher is good but needs a little bit of setting up.

It has a learn facility and it gradually cuts out most of the the rubbish. The interesting parts are that it can also report all the spam to SpamCop which is an organisation dedicated to stopping spam. With the info that your Mailwasher sends them, they can report the spam to the senders ISP hence cutting down on some of it. Furthermore, it also can "bounce" the email which makes it look as though you don't exist and gradually the senders drop you off their lists. Finally, as it doesn't actually download any mails to your PC until you tell it that it's OK, you avoid and harmful virus' or Trojans.

It's a fact that you can't cut all spam out. If you are cutting out all unwanted mails you are also probably cutting out some of the ones you want too.

A Couple of tips:

1) Don't give your good email address to anyone unless you trust them
2) Set yourself up a GMail or Hotmail account and use that whenever you are asked to provide it for buying stuff on the web, or completing forms.

Most spam is a result of this type of data. In the event that you are really inundated, there is no choice but to change your email address.

Good Luck

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
My private mail is BT Yahoo which has a built in spam guard which seems to work pretty well. About one in 300 seems to get through, plus I can always check the junk mail folder in case anything was swept up accidentally.

With my work email, talking to our IT (known as Mordac the preventer of information services) approx 85% - yes that's right - of incoming mail is spam. Now bearing in mind that I receive about 60 to 80 work messages a day, that's an awful lot of traffic clogging up the system

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back