Any idea if this was the norm ? (1 Viewer)

Highwayman1

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autohomes
Exp
Since 1980 on & off
Having started to strip away the soggy mess that was my toilet/washroom (and discovering that the area extends thru` the wardrobe and along the drivers side wall too !), I removed the water retaining polystyrene insulation on the wall to aid the drying process . How novel to discover that the aluminium body was devoid of any sealant at the joints and I could see the road outside !!.
The `van is a 1995 Autohomes Highwayman so is not that new at 20 years . Any ideas if this practice of using the insulation to keep the outer panels `closed` was normal practice in manufacturing ? I am sealing with Sikaflex as I go along now though

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Wow if there is no sealant there,what about the rest!!!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would stick my neck out and say definately not.

ANY gap, even the thickness of a fag paper, will let in water at some point.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Highwayman1

Highwayman1

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autohomes
Exp
Since 1980 on & off
Wow if there is no sealant there,what about the rest!!!!
Aah there you have hit the mark. I have asked the original question because of the 3 strips of aluminium that makes the side up, 2 of them are not sealed at the joint and, it appears, have never had any sealant applied ever. It also appears as I investigate further that the manufacturing process `in days of old` wasn`t subject to much quality control, certainly at Autohomes. Probably led to their demise then ? The work goes on. Thanks for your replies

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back