Any hints on stopping rattles? (1 Viewer)

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
At long last we're 7 days away from getting our first van.:) We're well aware of using tea towels to help keep rattles to a minimum, which is all very well in drawers and lockers.
What do you do with the fridge? How do you keep things from sliding about. In fact what do you actually keep in fridge while you're travelling?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You could always try squashing your new windbreak in (minus the poles, obviously)!:whistle::giggle:

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The fridge is usually quite full so no problem, the freezer can be slippy slide when everything is frozen so we fold a couple of heavy duty plastic carrier bags and put them in to fill the space, Rubberised matting on the shelves and don't let glasses and coffee mugs touch, likewise with the matting in the cutlery draw and some bubble wrap to pack all the spice jars tight and then nothing dare rattle.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
the freezer can be slippy slide when everything is frozen so we fold a couple of heavy duty plastic carrier bags and put them in to fill the space,
Surely more plastic bags of ice cubes would be a better \ more usable solution?:whistle:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Surely more plastic bags of ice cubes would be a better \ more usable solution?:whistle:
We've got some of those re-useable plastic ice cubes which may do the job:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
In the bathroom cabinet I have cut lots of milk bottles so they are about 70mm high...all of these on a shelf means nothing slides about..all held in place by a thin line of bungy across front of cupboard...in the fridge use several food contains without lids to stop things sliding :D....

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Double Cupboard Bars
Useful addition to stop items falling if door opens in transit.

A set of double cupboard bars to help keep everything in the cupboards whilst in transit!

Fully adjustable between 24cm and 45cm these are held in with tension alone so there is no fear of damage to your vehicle.

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/double-cupboard-retaining-bars.html

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I know this is going to sound REALLY smug - but we never get any rattles..... The fridge is usually packed with food and drink. The freezer is packed with food - and if it isn't packed with food its packed with bags of ice cubes.

But even if it's half empty nothing rattles - maybe we have the radio on too loud?.......

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
I know this is going to sound REALLY smug - but we never get any rattles..... The fridge is usually packed with food and drink. The freezer is packed with food - and if it isn't packed with food its packed with bags of ice cubes.

But even if it's half empty nothing rattles

Well done. You've either got it sussed out ...........or may I suggest that Specsavers now do hearing aids :D:whistle:

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Neoprene laptop sleeves. Put oven racks, grilles, pans, glasses, plates etc in them or use them to wedge other things in. Very cheap from Poundland or off eBay.

Upvote 0

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
My fridge is packed so tightly with food - sausage/bacon/cheese/eggs/sauces/frozen pot-luck meals/milk etc that nothing moves :)
You put food in the fridge..........:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
:eek:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wee Bold Davy
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Are they the ones that don't melt and water down the gin?

Yes that's the ones, although I hadn't thought of the ice watering down my whisky, was thinking more of not getting a bad tummy with dodgy water!! :whistle: Honest!!

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Use various sizes of plastic boxes in the fridge to stand or store food in, why is it always the large yoghurt carton that falls out when you open the door if you don’t use boxes?
Poundland non slip mating cut up into small strips to separate pans etc.,

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Don’t put tins in high lockers. When one falls it’s bound to hit something expensive like a table or worktop. We don’t bother with packing everything in tight the first couple of roundabouts settles most things into place.

If it really rattles try letting the front tyres down a bit from the 80 Psi the Dealer has set them at.

Fill it up with everything you will be taking with you including gas, water and fuel and then get it weighed. Front Axle and Rear Axle. Consult tyre manufactures for best tyre pressures for that weight.

Our A Class has 80psi in the rear and 65psi in the front. Makes a lot of difference to the rattles.

Upvote 0

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Bubble wrap, the stiffish sort you get in packaging when ordering items online. I use it in the overhead lockers, drawers, cupboards... anywhere there's anything loose. It would be hygienic in the fridge as you could rinse it or chuck and replace.

I like the recycling aspect to it as well.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
My cutlery drawer and cupboard shelves are line with grip-mat, jars are packed too tight to move or a wedge of gripmat is shoved in, bottles have a bit of gripmat round them held with either tape or elastic band, tins are in box in locker under bed again packed in tight.
Bits & bobs like pepper/salt/etc are in an open top container on grip mat on shelf & spices are in a spice mandala wedged in a corner.
I put a folded towel on top of cutlery when actually moving.
Gripmat is used in the fridge too and between plates/bowls etc and wrapped round mugs, glasses hang in cupboard.
Check doors etc for fit & rattle and use small stick-on ‘bumpers’ if needed.
Have fun with your new van, go out for a couple of ‘shake-down’ runs before you take off into the blue!

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Don’t understand it, I have friends, YES I do, who wrap the cups the cutlery the glasses pots and pans every time before they travel, are their tyre pressures too high or do they drive over all the drains, we wrap nothing and nothing rattles.
Before we travel all I do is hook up in, open grey and drive, sorted.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Don’t understand it, I have friends, YES I do, who wrap the cups the cutlery the glasses pots and pans every time before they travel, are their tyre pressures too high or do they drive over all the drains, we wrap nothing and nothing rattles.
Before we travel all I do is hook up in, open grey and drive, sorted.
They tell me that Specsavers now do hearing aids.;)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back