Any Guitar players ? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Just taken up learning to play as its one thing I have promised myself I would do if and when time allows...

Been at it for 6 weeks now and have learnt the basic chords and can play one or two simple tunes......

Hell is this one hard and I do mean hard thing to learn ! It can be frustrating and rewarding in equal measures ! There are times when I end up elated and times when the study wall could end up with a guitar shaped dent in it ! :D

I looked long and hard at where to start and with which type of guitar to start off with.

It is apparently easier to both learn on and play an electric guitar rather than an acoustic. So I went electric.

My guitar is a Hagstrom Viking deluxe (Swedish) Semi Acoustic electric . I have it hooked up to an Orange Crush 35RT Amplifier which is an old school analogue valve amp.

It will cater for a wide selection of music genres. Well that what they told me :)

Do we have any players here ?

If you hear a terrible din coming from a MH near you this year it could just be me ! :LOL::LOL:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Good luck, a guitar always sounds nice when being played at a pub in the evening. I did try to learn once but what my head thought and my fingers did was totally different, haha

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
There are some very accomplished talented guitarists on here. The Funster Band has several, plus there are a handful of other individual players not to mention ukulele players. Get yourself to one of the bigger rallies to see, hear and join in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I intended learning the keyboard when I retired 12 years ago, it still sits in the corner gathering dust. :(

I admire anyone who can play any instrument and I can listen for hours.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hi @Charlie. Have you looked at the Guitar Players group on here? (Look under the Groups menu) I Don't know what's on there but I look at the Ukulele one (I've made more progress with the ukulee than a guitar I've had for years)

Keep at it though. I'm sure it will fall into place one day.

Wyn

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
First of all Charlie, you have bought some quality gear which will not impede your learning in any way. So it's all down to your motivation and how much you practice.
As said above, there are guitar players at just about every Fun rally and there will be occasional jam sessions at which everybody is welcome.
Playing with other guitarists is by far the quickest way to develop your playing so come along to a rally and join in!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I have been learning to play classical guitar for past year and am enjoying immensely,can play many pieces now by Haydn,Beethoven etc ..its not easy but very rewarding.. Doesn't matter how old you are when you start to learn I am nearly 71 and have mild arthritis in hands but I manage quite well.I have achieved grade 3 of trinity college syllabus..if I can do it so can anyone. .Roy

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I used to play in a band, well we called it a group. You may have heard of them, 'Bay City Rollers' so in answer to your question Any Guitar players ? .............. No not in this household.......:LOL:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I have to agree with @makems. It's all very well sitting at home, trying a rew chords and thinking, "that's not right, try again" and you tend to not get very far. When I started on the ukulele I started off like that. Jean (my wife) arranged for me to go to @Barrie and @Janine 's ukulele group. I did not want to let anyone see my poor efforts and said I would go when I had progressed. Well I did not really get much better and eventually was 'persuaded' to go. It seemed a BIG step to take! Actually turning up and walking through the door took some doing I can tell you. However, once I started it was nowhere near as bad as I imagined. At first I would look at what we were trying to do and thinking,"That's impossible, how can anyone be expected to do that". But I would play along, missing out the impossible bits and rather than keep stopping to go back and try again it was just a matter of joining in the bits that I could manage (and sometimes couldn't!). Bit by bit you get used to where the common chords are and, like learning to drive, get the feel for it without having to keep looking down to see where the gearstick is! Gradually you realised that something you just played is among the things you had previously thought impossible. As new learners come along you realise that you have made progress and are even able to help the beginners. The atmosphere is very relaxed, no one will know or care if you play a wrong chord (well Barrie will but he or Janine will help show you how) and I am convinced playing alongside others has helped me improve no end. I am still trying to improve and probably always will but it's great fun and we all have a good time in the process.

Wyn

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
In Kings Lynn we have the well known busker called juggling Jim. He has a guitar with no strings! So there is hope for anyone. Haha

Deleted User
I've been playing on and off since my teens (I was a budding punk rocker!!)

I didn't realise there was a guitar group on here, so will have to take a look.

You've bought some decent gear there which should last you years.

I can strongly recommend justinguitar on YouTube, (just search for his site on YouTube) my son has just started learning and has used Justin's channel quite a lot.

There are online lessons, including songs of all genres and abilities (you will come along quicker if you play something you like)

Good luck, you're in for some sore left hand finger tips and a lot of frustration, but stick with it. What you think is impossible now will seem like child's play in a cpl of months (then your frustration will increase as you will want to get better and better!!)

Remember there is no substitute for practice.

Good luck :rock:

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I've been playing on and off since my teens (I was a budding punk rocker!!)

I didn't realise there was a guitar group on here, so will have to take a look.

You've bought some decent gear there which should last you years.

I can strongly recommend justinguitar on YouTube, (just search for his site on YouTube) my son has just started learning and has used Justin's channel quite a lot.

There are online lessons, including songs of all genres and abilities (you will come along quicker if you play something you like)

Good luck, you're in for some sore left hand finger tips and a lot of frustration, but stick with it. What you think is impossible now will seem like child's play in a cpl of months (then your frustration will increase as you will want to get better and better!!)

Remember there is no substitute for practice.

Good luck :rock:

Its the Justinguitar site I am using just now. It a great site and easy to understand for a raw beginner like me .

I have had 3 or 4 lessons but I found the young lady teaching just confused me. So I looked on a forum or two and was recommended to Justins site and is my "Go too" web site .

I have only learnt the basic chords and a few strumming patterns and can play along the "The walk of life" by Dire Straights and "Walk the line" by Johnny Cash... But I have only been at it for a few weeks so not so bad ..

I have one heck of a lot to learn and hope I can continue to make steady progress. (y)(y)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I go to a tutor ,because I couldn't get to grips with learning on line, much better on a one to one basis as tutor can spot any faults in your techniques before they become ingrained .i have an hour a week and the practice for about two hours a day in bits of no more than 20 mins at a time...works for me.

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Played guitar for 35ish years and STILL learning things. Nice kit, not sure an electric is easier to learn on other than lower gauge strings and a lower string action.

It's practice practice practice Im afraid and then one day it will click and that level of expertise will never be lost. Then it's the next level and practice practice and practice again.....and so on and so on.

Playing with others is good advice and any musician worth his/her salt will pass on tips, we all started like you, as learners!

My advice, learn a simple song (walk the line is a good one) learn it well and nail it. The song is something you can return to when things are getting tough to prove that you can do it. Good at parties or jam nights to have a song that is yours and others will join in with you.

Don't give up, the reward will come I promise.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Hi there guys I've been playing guitar (badly) for quite a number of years now and never had any proper tuition which I now feel has been a mistake.i have just got to the stage where I've got a lot of the basic chords and strumming and some very basic picking but now if I play different songs ( most of which are Bob Dylan based) they all sound very similar. I just feel that if I'd have had proper tuition in the early stages things would have been better.
Brian & Jo

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am an accomplished air guitarist.

If you need any tips - just ask(y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I used to play in a band, well we called it a group. You may have heard of them, 'Bay City Rollers' so in answer to your question Any Guitar players ? .............. No not in this household.......:LOL:

Seriously?

I remember wearing those ridiculous flares and platform shoes to a school party.

I didn't get a sniff of a dance and just sat there looking and feeling like a right wally.

If I could blame a Funster for that it would be great.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi there guys I've been playing guitar (badly) for quite a number of years now and never had any proper tuition which I now feel has been a mistake.i have just got to the stage where I've got a lot of the basic chords and strumming and some very basic picking but now if I play different songs ( most of which are Bob Dylan based) they all sound very similar. I just feel that if I'd have had proper tuition in the early stages things would have been better.
Brian & Jo

Brian I think the wealth of information out there on the web is perhaps that much more comprehensive now ?

I pay quite a lot per hour for the tuition and trust me in those hours I have learnt very little indeed.

When looking at the Justinguitar web site I can sit in my study rewinding the video time and time again, Detailed explanations are there and these is also a forum where if we cant understand a particular part we can ask.

That forum is supported by voluntary donation. There are also song books which are excellent and songbook one without which I would still be on basic chords cost me about half what I was paying for one hours tuition.

I am all for proper professional tuition but in my case so far it just hasn't worked out. The young lady is a great player but I'm not so sure she is that good at teaching. For me I just come away confused.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
If I could blame a Funster for that it would be great.

I wish I could oblige Chris, but sadly No, I did play drums occasionally when Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich used to practice in my grandmothers restaurant, if they took a break Beaky Diamond would allow me to play on his drums. They were called Dave Dee and the Bostons back then though.

That's as close as I came to the pop world but I must admit live music rooooles.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I play bass, and until I started motor homing a couple of years ago was in a busy gigging band who did weddings, parties etc. I couldnt commit to the band any more so had to retire.

I picked up a bass for the first time at the age of 46, and within a week was playing my first gig to 80 very drunk/stoned people (thankfully). I only ever played a strummy type of guitar, but found the bass much easier, more satisfying and flattering to me! Of course, to master the bass is another thing entirely and takes a lifetime. I was nowhere near it when I stopped playing, but had reached a reasonable standard that allowed me to be a muso, something I had never thought I could be as a guitarist (too many guitar geniuses out there, but not that many bassists). Am I making a good case for trying the bass as well? It's really good fun and there are two less strings to mess with!

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I've been playing acoustic guitar for over 40 years. Mostly fingerstyle (I had 6 months classical guitar tuition initially). I didn't own a plectrum til 10 years ago when I started playing in church. I often wish I had branched out into lead guitar work. I'd agree with other advice on here in that you should work on a couple of songs and get them nailed down. You must have an aim to your practice. I occasionally play at the local folk club and am still learning new stuff. It does get harder to learn as you get older though. I imagine you've discovered why it's called the F chord by now!

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
My cousin who was Bass guitarist for in those days, Freddie Starr and the Midnighters and also Heinz and the Wildboys, tried in vain to teach me Bass, I don't have a musical note in my body so even with all the patience he possessed he failed miserably, and anyway the strings hurt my fingers :cry:

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Hi all and to Charlie in partic.

Get yourself a list of what are called 'chord progressions'. You should easily find something online free. A great number songs are somewhat repetitive in their chords and follow various set patterns (which can also be altered and improvised with experience.) They vary from very easy to difficult(for a beginner that is.) but you will very quickly find that suddenly you realise that there are hundreds nay, thousands of songs all in the same 'progression' and, you can very often substitute one set for another in certain songs.(you'll have more than several 'light bulb' 'eureka' moments as you learn.) Take the simple E - A -B7 progression for instance. 'You aint nothing; but a hound dog.' and many many other songs. If you master that in that key using only the 1st fret- you can 'transpose' that key into virtually any key you like to suit you or another singer. To do that, again look online-you'll no doubt see many and varied explanations but to put it simply you can very nearly play any song in any key-the starting place is purely to learn barre chords. e.g. move you first fretted chord of E up to the second fret by barring the first fret and forming the E on the second fret. you can do the same with the A chord but it gets simpler with the B7 as you just move your already barred A chord up two frets and hey presto- that's a B!(to form a B7 here, just lift your finger off the third string!)

Trust me, if playing an F hurts after a while, you are either pressing too hard, your guitar needs some remedial work( as in the action is too high/strings too thick-old-worn out=go see a luthier) or your playing it too much. It shouldn't 'hurt' at all. You will get 'segs' but you are supposed to.

I've tried to keep it simple for now for you, there is more as you progress (what st piran says is good too)-if you really want to learn and move up, keep at it-of course put it down when you get fed up, tired or whatever. Just when it seems like you wont get it, you will- in a flash!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back