Any funsters with a tortoise? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I would be interested to learn from other funsters how they care for their tortoises.

We got ours - a Hermann’s (named him Julius Caesar) - in 1982 from a Liverpool pet-shop for £5. He has recently woken up from his hibernation and looks well physically although he has not yet started to eat.

Although he has been with us for close on 40 years, I cannot claim much in-depth expertise and thought I would see how other keepers go about in their caring in order to compare with my own regime.

Any likeminded funster views appreciated.

Thanks

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Awww I had a tortoise for years.... loved him but if I was sitting in the garden and he was running... yes, he could RUN.... he would bite my toe... vicious little thing at times.

If you have had yours all those years, you can't be doing much wrong... He/she must be happy.

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I had 2 when young in Gibraltar.
A Moroccan gentleman working for my dad brought them both over for me. He always maintained that he picked them up from the wild near his native village near Tangiers.
Sounds a bit cruel today, but in defence I can state that they both lived long and healthy lives.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I had a tortoise until about a year ago and sadly had to rehome as we started full timing. I had rescued her many years before from people who got her for the kids then lost interest.

I picked up so much info over the years i had her as to how to properly care for her and was shocked at how little info is provided when purchasing. They are not easy, low maintenance pets at all. They are Mediterranean animals and need supplimentory heat and light to thrive in the uk. A green house with heat lamp and uv for healthy bone growth and their diet needs to mimic what they would have in the wild. Very low protein and sugar so wild flowers and weeds only. No fruit and veg. There are some very good sources on the Internet and some great Facebook groups. Hermann's tortoise uk was one if i remember correctly. Avoid any groups where torts are shown eating strawberries or roaming around peoples houses or living in a vivarium.
DSC_1712.JPG

_20190523_181342.JPG

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back