Any Fon experts that can help please? (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Have just got a Fon router for my home wifi. I want to use it as an extender for my existing wifi rather than as a stand alone wifi unit. The Fon site says I can do it, but the instructions do not mention anything about it.

Can anybody help me please as to how I can do this

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I don't have one but would assume you use it the same as connecting to any Fon hotspot, just enter your login details once after which it will recognise it.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I don't have one but would assume you use it the same as connecting to any Fon hotspot, just enter your login details once after which it will recognise it.

That is not what I am trying to achieve. First I want the Fon to connect to my existing wifi router wirelessly so that it effectively extends the range of that router. Once it has done all that I can then log onto the Fon in the normal way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
The Fon help page says this. Doesn't it work for you?

Dave

1.Via app:
You can set up your Fonera on “WiFi Extender” using the Fon Utility app when registering it. If you change your mind, you can also turn on/off the “WiFi Extender” by accessing to the app’s management tool.
2. Via web:While connected to the “MyPlace_xxxxx” WiFi signal, open a browser, type: Broken Link Removed (or Broken Link Removed and use “admin” as the default password. Go to “Internet Settings” and select the “WiFi” mode. Then, look for your existing WiFi signal SSID and enter the password. Once you’ve clicked Submit, place your Fonera where your signal starts to fade and you’ll see a new stronger signal.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Dave. Thanks. All I have are the instructions, which are VERY basic. Does not even tell me where I can find the Fon help page - do you have a link please? All it does it tell me where to register.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Have just got a Fon router for my home wifi. I want to use it as an extender for my existing wifi rather than as a stand alone wifi unit. The Fon site says I can do it, but the instructions do not mention anything about it.

Can anybody help me please as to how I can do this

Look for a wifi network that starts with "my place". Then log in using the password on the underside of the Fonera box.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Look for a wifi network that starts with "my place". Then log in using the password on the underside of the Fonera box.
I want the Fon (which is the "my place" network) to log in to my existing router using that one's password, not the other way around.

I think I have sorted it from the links given by DABurleigh and tremybach. Will try it tonight. At the moment packing the motorhome for a couple of weeks away.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Which Fonera have you got? There are two - the Fonera 2.0 and the Fonera Simpl. Only the Fonera 2.0 has the facility you are trying to configure & it is (or was) in beta - so update the firmware as a first step.

With the Simpl, you have to have a cable connection back to your router.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Which Fonera have you got? There are two - the Fonera 2.0 and the Fonera Simpl. Only the Fonera 2.0 has the facility you are trying to configure & it is (or was) in beta - so update the firmware as a first step.

With the Simpl, you have to have a cable connection back to your router.
Not sure I have either of those. I have a new Fonera, which is small, round and white. The model number on the box says FON2412A

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Not sure I have either of those. I have a new Fonera, which is small, round and white. The model number on the box says FON2412A

Peter, that's the one I have. You can only connect this one to your router by cable I believe. Certainly mine didn't come with any wifi linking instruction.

Once you've linked it to your router I dare say that you could change the SSID and the password but I haven't bothered.

Tim

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Tim, good news. You can connect this Fonera with wifi, because I have just done it. I followed the instructions in tremybach's link. The instructions that came with the Fonera don't mention it, but it does work

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Cheers for that Peter, I'll give it a go as it would certainly be handier to do it this way.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I've also got the small white round one, but I suspect it's an older model. The firmware version is 4.1.1.1.

It doesn't have the WiFi feature - it has to be connected by a cable, nor does it even appear to have a straightforward way of updating the firmware. Pity - it's a feature I could make use of. We do have a dead spot.

I suspect that a recent development may have been to put a version of the new Fonera 2 firmware into the basic model, which might explain why there were 'out of stock' problems with it recently, as they moved from one model to it's replacement.

I'll need to do a bit more digging.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back