Any fish keepers who understand aquarium warm water fish (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
guess that you are going to become shark food them buttons :)
The other posts are quite correct about not using tap water straight way ,i used to aerate the stuff in a bucket before use ,also syphon out the old water using a small hose skimming over the bottom ,its the fishes own urine and faeces that cause the problems untill the substrate filters have built up enough good bacteria to take care or the nitrates. I have kept both fresh water and marine tropical fish in the past :)
Thanks LofD I did use a syphon tube and sucked all the crud from the bottom when removing the 20%. The tanks have a number of different levels of filtration I have instructions to change the top two and only use the tank water to wash them in. I feel a bit better about it today after speaking to her in the US.;)

I also mentioned the tap water, she says she will talk to her fish man when she gets back as she had not been treating for Chlorine. She has had most of her fish for some time she got them as wee ones and they are now huge. The snake like things are a foot long and the toads are ginormous. The sharks type things started off in her nursery tank and are now man eaters in the big tank:) Some may think it is an odd hobby for a lady but she does love her fish....(y)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hopefully all OK then. Fish do die at some point and many out live their natural lives if kept well in captivity. Good you got him out and checked everything.

I would suggest to leave any tap water over night in a bucket as this will allow the Chlorine to evaporate naturally, not really a need to add dechlorinators unless you need to use it immediately.

With the weather being hot over the last couple of weeks then aquarium water temperatures rise very quickly and this sometimes does put extra pressure on the system of both the fish and the aquarium. Keeping things cool can be quite a challenge.

And glad she took it well, pretty sure any fish keeper would notice the difference between an old friend and a new comer and if Mr Big has gone then you can bet if she anything like me then there's plans of replacements already:)
Thanks Ridgeway. She was already talking today about a replacement for when she gets back. Only problem she is away for at least two more weeks. Much can happen in a fish tank in that time. :)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
The bucket of water is a good thing to dispense of the chlorine and fluoride.... if the fish is getting on a bit then the recent heatwave would have reduced the oxygen levels in the tank and that may not have helped him, its always the bigger ones that suffer with lack of oxygen in the water....

Still one big one gone means several new smaller ones....(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
Must admit when I've gone away in the past, I did large changes before leaving and then when I got back and left instructions not to do anything with the water or filtration.
As advised by Ridgeway, chlorine in the tank is not a good thing - it will kill the beneficial bacteria in the filter media which convert the ammonia and Nitrite to less harmful Nitrate.
If water is dosed with chlorine, then leaving out for 24 hours, will gas it off. However, if it is chloramine, as is the case in most rural areas, this won't work and usually people add a dechlorinator to lock it in. (I say usually because I use HMA and RO filters for my different tanks)

Keep an eye on the rest though and be prepared not to feed if any more show signs of distress or die. Would also suggest not changing any filter medium until happy that the rest are OK.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The bucket of water is a good thing to dispense of the chlorine and fluoride.... if the fish is getting on a bit then the recent heatwave would have reduced the oxygen levels in the tank and that may not have helped him, its always the bigger ones that suffer with lack of oxygen in the water....

Still one big one gone means several new smaller ones....(y)
Thanks for that SandS I think you may have answered it. I did notice that the big fish was spending all his time at the top of the tank during the hot spell with his nose out. Perhaps this was his way of getting more air. I can see me becoming an expert by the time she returns.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Must admit when I've gone away in the past, I did large changes before leaving and then when I got back and left instructions not to do anything with the water or filtration.
As advised by Ridgeway, chlorine in the tank is not a good thing - it will kill the beneficial bacteria in the filter media which convert the ammonia and Nitrite to less harmful Nitrate.
If water is dosed with chlorine, then leaving out for 24 hours, will gas it off. However, if it is chloramine, as is the case in most rural areas, this won't work and usually people add a dechlorinator to lock it in. (I say usually because I use HMA and RO filters for my different tanks)

Keep an eye on the rest though and be prepared not to feed if any more show signs of distress or die. Would also suggest not changing any filter medium until happy that the rest are OK.
Thanks adt. I think I will cut and paste all this good advice and pass it on to her on her return.(y)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Only problem she is away for at least two more weeks. Much can happen in a fish tank in that time. :)

Very true, the aquarium keepers saying goes: "All good things in aquariums take time, only bad things happen fast"

You'll be an expert by the time your ex is back, and soon you'll get the bug.....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back