Any Electronics Engineers on here (1 Viewer)

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I am looking to wire a motorised valve with a DPDT relay 12v for motor reversal this in its self is straight forward but as I want to add a remote control I think I would need a relay with a two coil solenoid that would latch as I want the coil not to take any power once it has thrown. Or would I have to use two relays.
The other option is to use an IC for control any ideas.

I have a small remote unit that has + - + output.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Have a look at Power FET's They use practically no power. Have a look at a cheap arduino board, use logic level FETs such as the IRL540.
You can then add a simple blutooth, wifi or direct radio controller module.

Not sure what you are doing or the components you are using but that should be enough to head you in the right direction?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS:. For motor control look at an H Bridge. 4 FETS, 4 Diodes and an arduino.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I can come up with a simple reversal circuit. I assume it's a 12v motor. How does it stop once it has done its job? Is the remote wired or wireless?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Really could do with more details on the power of the motor and what you are using it for...

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
It is a motorised valve max 2A I am assuming the valve has a limit switch at full travel (fully open) or (fully closed)
I will be using a wireless remote as in one of the off the shelf from ebay.
The last one I did was a three wire valve so a simple - and two feeds f/r but the one fitted to our Hymer has only two wires so have to change polarity.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I should have said ics are a bit beyond my capability @Gromett
Arduino is extremely simple and logic level FET's are very simple components.
You don't need to worry about things like biasing, or any other ancillary components. The only thing you need with a fet when driving an inductive load is a diode to stop the high voltage spikes frying the FET.

It really is simple. Loads of support for this kind of thing on the Arduino forums.

If you don't fancy building it yourself you can buy an arduino compatible H bridge module off ebay for a couple of £. But without details of the motor I couldn't tell you which one you would need.

Here is an example.

Please note I am not recommending this one, just an example that came up first on ebay.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
The motor is 12v dc max 2a and I think it has limit switch on each direction I am going to connect a meter in line to check current draw this will also confirm limit switching.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I put motor operated drain valves on my self build... manually switched by reversing the polarity... they have no limit switches.. on as long as you hold the switch down...
Andy..

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
In my view, Arduino is probably an overkill, although I agree it is a simple and elegant way to achieve what is required.

Perhaps a simple 12V normally closed two port appliance valve http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/produ...bKOD4hbH33j6Dcj2r1caAk3REALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Plus an (overpriced) 10A remote switch from Amazon

eMylo® DC 12V 1 Channel One Relay Wireless Remote Transmitter RF Remote Control Light Switch On Off Transmitter

Little to be wired, no external relay, job done for less than £15

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
In my view, Arduino is probably an overkill, although I agree it is a simple and elegant way to achieve what is required.

Perhaps a simple 12V normally closed two port appliance valve http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/produ...bKOD4hbH33j6Dcj2r1caAk3REALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Plus an (overpriced) 10A remote switch from Amazon

eMylo® DC 12V 1 Channel One Relay Wireless Remote Transmitter RF Remote Control Light Switch On Off Transmitter

Little to be wired, no external relay, job done for less than £15

How would you reverse the motor and how would a single channel remote control switch it on and off AND reverse the motor?

That valve is probably not suitable for grey waste?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The motor is 12v dc max 2a and I think it has limit switch on each direction I am going to connect a meter in line to check current draw this will also confirm limit switching.
If you bought this online, can you send me a link to it please.

OP
OP
Steve and Denise

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
No grommet it was already fitted to the van from new with a rocker switch in the garage the latest van now has a switch in the cab.

The last one I fitted was a motorised ball valve of ebay brass and stainless very good for about £25, not sure how to put a link to ebay.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
How would you reverse the motor and how would a single channel remote control switch it on and off AND reverse the motor?

That valve is probably not suitable for grey waste?
It is a self returning, normally closed solenoid operated diaphragm valve, it only needs activation to open, no limit switches and takes less time to install than it does to edit an Arduino sketch Nothing to go wrong. Single channel switching is ideal, simple solution

Washing machine waste valve, IMO eminently suitable for grey waste

From the link: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/produ...bKOD4hbH33j6Dcj2r1caAk3REALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Two-way Solenoid Valves
Two-way solenoid diaphragm operated, normally closed valves are ideal for controlling water pressure 0.2 to 10 bar. The valve is continuously rated when the fluid temperature is below 25°C, the ambient temperature is below 60°C and the flow rate is above 5 L/min. A duty cycle of 40% is required for fluid temperatures up to 90°C

Features and Benefits
Application Information

• Coil can be located in any one of eight positions
• Maximum flow rate: 17 L/min
• 0.2 bar to 10 bar pressure range
• Power consumption: 4 W
• Nylon 6 body with 1/2 inch BSP ports (can be base mounted)
• 1/4 inch spade coil terminals
• In the 12Vdc/24 V/ac version, the solenoid coil is wound so either voltage can be passed through it

Typically used in hand washers, refrigeration equipment and automatic tap systems.

Less than £15, nothing to go wrong IMO. KISS applies

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It is a self returning, normally closed solenoid operated diaphragm valve, it only needs activation to open, no limit switches and takes less time to install than it does to edit an Arduino sketch Nothing to go wrong. Single channel switching is ideal, simple solution
I missed that (y)

However for suitability I was also thinking about things like food waste in valve. The bore of the valve doesn't appear to be big enough for the application? Also suitable for use in the location. Wouldn't work on my van because my waste valve is currently outside the van. However I do remember on my Eura it was inside but on my Hymer it was also outside.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back