Any Echo Dot Alexa users are they any good are they safe and secure (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
This hands-free, voice-controlled device that uses Alexa appears to be a useful addition to any home or motorhome. Our friends son has his set up and incorporated into all manor of clever gismo's and it sounds like he has someone in the room with him when he is chatting to his Alexa.
So is it worth while looking at the Eco Dot or similar, they are not expensive to purchase. What do you use yours for, do you take it away in your motorhome and most importantly, are they safe and secure to access your home network.
My son is a real technophile but I've not heard him speak of one yet, so are they just a toy or will they make a difference to my life. ? (y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have got one.

I just use it as a bit of fun.

She does pipe up now and again when you haven't said anything and that sometimes starts bloody Siri off on the ipad, but apart from that I use her for news, weather and questions my daughter asks me that I don't know the answer to.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Accidental orders and privacy are two reasons I wouldn't have one.

Anything that is said within hearing range is recorded and stored.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/07/tech/amazon-echo-alexa-bentonville-arkansas-murder-case/index.html

Not Alexa but related.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39589013
Thanks Gromett that is interesting. I guess most of us would be up in arms if the authorities asked if they could put a surveillance voice recorder in our homes.
There is a temptation though to access the Prime library while laying down in bed(y), but I can use google voice for more or less the same service.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Son got me one for fathers day, it's nice to have a "femail" in the house who listens to me and does what I ask !

Still learning what it can do but the music side is good.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Please, please, please, Ask it why haven't Wales beaten the All Blacks since 1953

I will try that when I get home.

After that question I will ask her how many Grand Slam deciding matches England have choked in since 1953.(y)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I will try that when I get home.

After that question I will ask her how many Grand Slam deciding matches England have choked in since 1953.(y)
I just asked sri the same question it said that 22,816 days had passed since Wales last beat the all blacks.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I've said I'll buy grandson a Dot for his birthday. They've got Amazon Primme so far s there a risk he could shop via the Dot ?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Accidental orders and privacy are two reasons I wouldn't have one.
Well, you cant 'accidentally order' anything without log in and confirmation, and as for 'privacy', then if you consider "Alexa, play ELO", or "Alexa, how many inches in 42 miles" to be 'private'.......???

As far as I'm concerned, I'm giving away more private information by registering to vote..........:)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Well, you cant 'accidentally order' anything without log in and confirmation, and as for 'privacy', then if you consider "Alexa, play ELO", or "Alexa, how many inches in 42 miles" to be 'private'.......???

As far as I'm concerned, I'm giving away more private information by registering to vote..........:)

I just checked and you are correct on the accidental order thing. You can set a 4 digit pin as confirmation for ordering to prevent the accidental order thing. I don't mind being proven wrong :p

However on the privacy issue, I still disagree. It has a microphone in it, which is software controlled. It is only a matter of time until these are hacked and it becomes a spy in your house... This is the reason the only camera I have in my van is one that has a physical shutter, and my desktop mike has a physical switch on it.

As for registering to vote. I register as homeless so they get absolutely no information off me. They don't even have my location :p

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: the Alexa is listening all the time unless you disable the Mic. It will only send data after being triggered. But it is not perfect and can and does get accidentally triggered.
Perhaps recording part of a confidential phone call to your solicitor or bank? Once Amazon has it and has done the voice to text conversion process that data is then in their cloud.. I for one would not want to have to check daily to ensure no data is stored on their system.

Yes, I distrust "cloud" stuff. Cloud just means someone elses computer.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I just checked and you are correct on the accidental order thing. You can set a 4 digit pin as confirmation for ordering to prevent the accidental order thing. I don't mind being proven wrong :p
Well, there's a first..........:rofl:

As for registering to vote. I register as homeless so they get absolutely no information off me.
Right. So, which category do you fall into Grom?? o_O The last?? :p

You can still register to vote even if you do not have a fixed address. This may be because you are:

• A patient in a mental health hospital
  • Homeless
  • A merchant seaman
  • Part of the gypsy or travelling community
  • Living on a boat or other moveable residence
  • A person remanded in custody

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Well, there's a first..........:rofl:
Not even close. I always publicly admit when I am wrong :D

Right. So, which category do you fall into Grom?? o_O The last?? :p

You can still register to vote even if you do not have a fixed address. This may be because you are:

• A patient in a mental health hospital
  • Homeless
  • A merchant seaman
  • Part of the gypsy or travelling community
  • Living on a boat or other moveable residence
  • A person remanded in custody

Which bit of this didn't you understand? :p As a clue I have highlighted it in both bits.
I register as homeless

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Er, the bit(s) where your getting stroppy with me?? ;) You sat on something pointed today?? :eek:
Not getting stroppy, did you miss the :p ?

I specifically said I register as homeless. Not sure what you were trying to achieve by suggesting i was a person remanded in custody. So I presumed it was your eyesight that was faulty and decided to help you out :whistle:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not sure what you were trying to achieve by suggesting i was a person remanded in custody. So I presumed it was your eyesight that was faulty and decided to help you out :whistle:
Er...................Let me think......................Joke maybe???.........................:moon2:

Oct 19, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 115
Exp
Few years
For info, they sell the Echo and Echo Dot on QVC (TV or their website).
If your thinking of getting one, QVC usually offer easy payments over 2/3 months but best of all a 30 day no quibble money back guarantee...prices aren't much different to other placed but you can get one for 30 days and send it back if its no good without having to pay the full cost straight away...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back