Any Eberspacher users out there? (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hope the spelling's right ...when I bought the Autocruise Starburst as a first 'home I figured the 'E' heating and hot water was a real bonus - it sipped diesel rather than glugging gas. But on our first night sans EHU [and second night away!] I found that after two hours running it had run the battery down to 9 volts.

I mentioned this to my son [a Land Rover/Jaguar technician] and whilst I can't repeat what he saidhttp://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/surprised.gif the gist was that they use the same units to pre-heat Range Rovers and have a auto cut-out after 15 minutes to ensure battery life.

Seems my options are either to run the engine at the same time as the 'E' or only to use it on EHU?

Advice welcomed!

PS how do I put smilies in here? Drag 'n' drop didn't work...

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi they are used alot in trucks .also early aircooled vw used them alot .great when moving but as you say gobble leccy. i use catalytic gas heater .not every ones cup of tea but works for me. simple things seem to work best .
smiles click on the white one next to the big A at top of message . :winky:.i only just learnt it .ha ha .
instantanious water heater for me as well. again so simple .
mind i also have gas lights . ideal . light heat and keep mozzies away.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi. I have one and find where I can usualy get around 4 nights without the heater and no EHU or solar when I use the heater for around 4 hrs in the evening I can only get a couple of nights.

The fan does use quite a lot of power from the battery but the time you are getting is quite sort, I wonder if your battery is passed its best. I have a single 85 amp hr.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hope the spelling's right ...when I bought the Autocruise Starburst as a first 'home I figured the 'E' heating and hot water was a real bonus - it sipped diesel rather than glugging gas. But on our first night sans EHU [and second night away!] I found that after two hours running it had run the battery down to 9 volts.

I mentioned this to my son [a Land Rover/Jaguar technician] and whilst I can't repeat what he saidhttp://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/surprised.gif the gist was that they use the same units to pre-heat Range Rovers and have a auto cut-out after 15 minutes to ensure battery life.

Seems my options are either to run the engine at the same time as the 'E' or only to use it on EHU?

Advice welcomed!

PS how do I put smilies in here? Drag 'n' drop didn't work...

Putting new smilies in the text: Just click on the one you want :Doh: - just like that :ROFLMAO:

We have the same heating and it looks like your battery is shot, at 9V it,s probably gone past recovery.

When we run ours without leccy and at first it uses a LOT of power but then drops the fan speed and just ticks over using far less. We have 2 110ah batteries and they seem to cope as long as they can get topped up during the daylight hours. Not a problem in Portugal at present. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

bandit

Free Member
Oct 2, 2011
Widnes,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 years
Gesphacher

Mornin ericonabike,I have a gesp fitted on my motorhome,but it is connected into my pair of leasure batts 110 amps,When i first used it i had it on all night,it was okay but with the orignal lighting that was in,it switch off because of the voltage drop.Since then ive put low watt digital lights in,you can leave it on all night with minmal drop.Solar panel helps,i hope this info is alright.Av great day in this glorious weather.THE BANDIT::Cool::thumb:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
Your battery does not sound up to much,have it tested. Eberspachers put considerable load on batteries,around 20amps on start up and then 1-4 amps on continuous running, this will soon kill a tired battery.Perhaps think about doubling your current battery capacity by adding a second battery.

regards
Steve:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have a Webasto Dualtop.

In Val Thorens at persistent sub-zero temperatures, we went for 4 days and nights before recharging.
We have a 330 Ah battery bank.

You need new batteries!:thumb:

I won't go on about how bad most leisure batteries are, but you need to look for decent traction batteries if you want to camp off grid.

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks all - seems next step is to get battery tested. It's a 110amp leisure battery, other than that not sure of age etc. Good to know that with a fully-working battery we should be able to at least get one night's heating out of it! Roll on summer...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back