Any Belgian beer lovers here? (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I'm off to Belgium for 10 days in November - Mrs E and I have spent previous cycling holidays in Flanders, but have never taken the van before, and so are looking to go further afield. Just wondered if any other Funsters shared my appreciation of Belgium, especially its brewing tradition, and had any 'must-see' places to recommend? We've found a great looking motorhome park on the outskirts of Antwerp, and will also be spending the obligatory couple of days in Bruges, so that leaves us 6 days to explore elsewhere. All replies welcome - except those suggesting 'why don't we go to France' or 'name a famous Belgian'!

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I'm off to Belgium for 10 days in November - Mrs E and I have spent previous cycling holidays in Flanders, but have never taken the van before, and so are looking to go further afield. Just wondered if any other Funsters shared my appreciation of Belgium, especially its brewing tradition, and had any 'must-see' places to recommend? We've found a great looking motorhome park on the outskirts of Antwerp, and will also be spending the obligatory couple of days in Bruges, so that leaves us 6 days to explore elsewhere. All replies welcome - except those suggesting 'why don't we go to France' or 'name a famous Belgian'!

The 'grand place' (square) in Brussels in a truly remarkable place for architect and there are some fabulous Mussels restaurants around there.:thumb:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Why not visit Ieper{Ypres}

I think it will be very busy on Sunday 10th November .

Nice place to visit.

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
You will find that a beer in one area is not available in another except for the 'big boys' such as Duvel,Leffe and Stella Artois.
A local brewer will sometimes sell to outlets in a small radius,I recommend a visit to the Trappist brewery at Westmalle,the Belle view tour in Brussels and also joining Ars Vivendi similar to France passion. I have been told that the Belgians produce more varieties of beer than the French do cheeses!
If you were ever in the Scouts there is a site at Merkenvelt about 10 miles from Bruges,you may be able to 'blag' a night or two,plus they have their own micro-brewery.
On the Leuven road past the airport,towards Leuven (where the Stella Artois brewery is) through 2 villages there is a brewery/restaurant that will let you stay over for a night .

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
There are lots of local breweries in Belgium as mentioned above. Steer well clear of Stella - the Belgians wouldn't touch it with the proverbial barge pole. My Father lived in Belgium for nearly 40 years so I know it quite well. In his home village of Enghien, he occasionally frequented a bar that had a menu of beers that was 15 pages long.....:Eeek:

Some I remember:
Castell Bier = 12% proof.........:Eeek:
Silly Brewery - yes really, the small town of Silly in SW Belgium
Mort Subite
Kwak - traditionally drunk from a small "yard of ale" type glass held in a wooden frame.
Kriek, the fruit beer. Make sure you get the bottle with the champagne style cork, Lindemanns if memory serves.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I dislike Leffe intensly.

Just tastes like chemicals to me.

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks all - I'm pretty familiar with most Belgian beer styles, and have spent time in Brussels and Gent. Was looking for any suggestions further afield really, say in the Ardennes region. I looked at Ars Vivendi, but it seems the last guide was produced in 2011 and so it may now be defunct? Reluctant to send off the dosh unless I know it's still functioning!

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Just stayed on Camping EauZone within walking distance of a great little town called Hotton in the Ardennes, not far from Bastogne (Battle of the Bulge and all that). Bar on site, nice but small shower block (however there are only a few campers there) and you can get fresh bread delivered.
Good Belgian beer in the bar and the Dutch guy who looks after the site (name of Att) is very pleasant, and like most Dutch people he speaks excellent English. Have a good journey.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Probably too late as you've already left by now doh !!

I lived in Belgium for 4 years, beautiful place. Obvious ones like Bruges, Brussels been mentioned already. For the Ardennes, we kayaked all day down the Lesse river, beautiful, also did lots of rock climbing near Celle ?.... I think it was.

Westmalle or Grimbergen mit grenadine was my drink of choice, absolutely gorgeous, very strong ::bigsmile:

In Antwerp, there's a pub called 'The Pilgrim'. Only locals really know of it, it's underground in an old monastery, all cosy alcoves, cave walls and wooden tables. No electric, just candles on the table. Not to be missed !!!!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Mines a small pint of Castell,and whatever your having yourself. Just love that Castell.
Tea Bag. (And SOCIAL ?,drinker)

Oct 30, 2008
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Any Belgium beer lovers here?

There is a municipal campsite very close to the centre of Mons called Camping du Waux-Hall. It is only 15 mins walk to the town centre. Lots of bars there with beer menus! One I went to had over 100 different types of beers!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back