LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Jim, are there any decent clubs that you know of around this area (I live about 20 mins from Ipswich)? Thanks

May 19, 2014
Keynsham, Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2005
I have the same pistol as you, Jim (with a telescopic sight, to boot, which may seem strange but I enjoy it) and a BSA Meteor Super .22 rifle still in good nick from my teenage years.

I feel something all children ought to be encouraged to do is kill humanely, skin and gut a rabbit. It will certainly make you appreciate where meat comes from, and probably will increase the number of vegetarians :) I'd eat more rabbit but Ali doesn't like it. Was disturbed to read the other day how rabbits are bred for meat in the UK in worse conditions than battery hens.

In my youth I spent many, many happy days plinking tin cans at impressive distances. When my eldest brother neared the end with bladder cancer, he reminisced on happy times in his life by, amongst other things, doing the same again.

I often think I had an underlying captivation that linked quite different hobbies and my career, and that was the concept of "action at a distance". Air guns, archery (taking that up again now with a compound target bow), amateur radio (grinning from ear to ear after chatting easily with folk in Australia and NZ with no intervening infrastructure), defence weapons, ...

Dave

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks - wrong side of Ipswich unfortunately. Read this old thread with some considerable interest. There is one in Hadleigh and of course one in Colchester, so will investigate further

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Dave.. yes I agree,
Charlotte is in the Army Cadets and gets to do more shooting than me.. and with a proper rifle.. she is away again this weekend with the cadets for two days of 'fun' at the Thetford training camp.. .. odd for such a girlie girl to enjoy such male pursuits.. only yesterday we were building sandcastles.. now she wants to join the Army..

David.. I went to the one in Colchester when we lived there.. it is excellent.. they have a woodland area and a circuit to go round and shoot at targets hiden in trees .. also a training area for sighting up and practicing ..

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi Dave.. yes I agree,
Charlotte is in the Army Cadets and gets to do more shooting than me.. and with a proper rifle.. she is away again this weekend with the cadets for two days of 'fun' at the Thetford training camp.. .. odd for such a girlie girl to enjoy such male pursuits.. only yesterday we were building sandcastles.. now she wants to join the Army..

David.. I went to the one in Colchester when we lived there.. it is excellent.. they have a woodland area and a circuit to go round and shoot at targets hiden in trees .. also a training area for sighting up and practicing ..
Thanks Jim, quite happy to travel a bit for better experience. A bit like sailing - live near Stoke by Nayland but sailed for years at Waldringfield SC just for the high quality of the racing - still the most competitive wayfarer fleet in the country

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I have a Gat, a G10 repeater and a Desert Eagle Airsoft repeater. Bought them years ago for target practice fun while out on long distance walking (something to do when camping overnight). Not really that good but OK for knocking over tin cans at short distances.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Any half way decent .177, set up properly, will shoot better than you can. No.2 son can hit a golf ball, without a scope, at 50m almost every time, standing, and a rabbits head at a much greater distance, prone. Not me, my eyes aren't that good any more. Therefore it follows there is no possible reason to increase the power of any air rifle, to do so would be very, very foolish. Any recommendations or advise on how to do so is just irresponsibly stupid.

Further the advice to crono the rifle down a little to account for different pellets is very good. Remember, the manufacturer will have set the rifle up using a particular pellet, which should be on the report, if bought new. Anything else can be very different.

Join a club and be taught how to shoot, responsibly and safely. Remember that these things can kill, up to about a mile. Squeeze the trigger and you are responsible for the projectile and the consequences should be enought to make you cr*p yourself. If the thought that you are holding something that has that ability, does not focus your mind, then air rifle shooting is not for you.

Further, wherever you shoot, never do it without the landowners permission in writing, even if he is your very bestest mate.

Having said all that, it is great fun and a discipline that takes a lot of practice. But highly recommended.

SuperMike.
Scouts Air Gun Instructor.

PS, Scouts only ever shoot target.

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Good advice, but I dispute the fact that an air rifle pellet will carry enough energy to even reach a mile, let alone kill at that range.
There have been a couple or documented cases of a .22 rimfire round causing death at that range but they have at least 10 times the muzzle energy and a ballistically superior 40 grain bullet.
Don't wish to get into conflict here, just don't want to give the antis false ammunition.

NRA Range Conducting Officer.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks Mike, useful and sensible information

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
I shoot both small bore and fullbore disciplines but have a hankering for a CO2 pistol!
I reckon a CO2 pistol could be a great addition to a Practical Mini Rifle course of fire to make it a 2 gun match.

If anyone in West Norfolk is interested in getting into shooting, just google Kings Lynn St Michaels Rifle and Pistol Club.

http://www.kingslynnstmichaels.org

There is a local airgun club and field archery club too for those who wish to wear tights!

Hi Jon, you should have spoken to Julian about Guns. He's got a few! ;)

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Just joined myself for use of Horsford, Barton Road and Practical Shotgun!
My 'home' club is KLSM.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Well I guess you will be seeing him there….

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Delicate shoulders? :p

You can fit a muzzle brake to shotguns and rifles. They reduce felt recoil by directing muzzle blast rearwards, propelling the gun forwards as you fire. This reduces recoil considerably.
The shooters either side of you tend to end the day with a slight concussion though!!!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Just been reading through this thread, I still have my old BSA Meteor .22 in the garage (circa 1974) but it has seen better days.....

After catching and eating fish in Norway this year I quite fancy the idea of 'wild meat'.......

I am a good shot although I always did prefer telescopic sights when plinking. Can anyone give some advice please as to what to buy for shooting rabbits? I have always thought .22 better than .177 but that might be because 'bigger was better' when I was a teenager;)

I would like something that is accurate over 20 to 30 metres with enough killing power to ensure a clean and humane kill.

Lastly, are air shotguns any good?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Good advice, but I dispute the fact that an air rifle pellet will carry enough energy to even reach a mile, let alone kill at that range.

NRA Range Conducting Officer.

Under normal circumstances Jon you are of course correct. (y)

But as ever all things are possible under silly circumstances. I have heard a pellet, many times, crack the sound barrier shortly after leaving the barrel and with the wind behind it can travel further than people sometimes think. I have never been involved in any sort of shooting accident, thank god, but during my training I was told (frightened probably), that it once happened when the shooter was firing up a hill, without knowing what was on the other side of said hill. At about the range of a mile ishhhhhhh, as it came down, and probably, with very little velocity left in it, struck a mans face and killed him.

Possibly, like gas attacks, it's a bit ott, but I always use the tale to grind into people, scouts and their parents alike, that these things are not toys and are bl**dy dangerouse. Scouts are classic for holding the business end of the barrel under their mouths and doing a John Wayne, as we call it. Blowing across it. Any Scout caught doing that sits out for the whole evening, even though he has fired a single shot pistol and it is empty and harmless. It's the principle. But then as an RO you know the rules better than me. ;)

When dealing with kiddies I lay it on very thick and lets face it, most of the menbers on here are big kids. :sneaky: Particularly the VerOldMoIceCreamInternetMan. :whistle:

Have you ever been at Bisley Oct/Nov time when the Scouts have their shooting competition. Hundereds of mummys little beauties. Super fun.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Mike, fully understood! Didnt want to cauae offence! It can be quite hard to teach respect for firearms to kids and adults who have watched too many films and played too many computer games before their shooting career!
Unlike Medal of Honor, you definitely don't get a second go with a lump of lead in your skull!
I won't be down Bisley until the New Year. Should be catching the tail end of the CSR winter league.
Our big lads outing occurs during the Imperial Meeting at the end or June/beginning of July.
Hats off to you for volunteering and keeping some young lives on track! You should compare notes with Bill the drill sometime, he runs an independant cadet unit.
My contribution goes as far as sitting on the commitee, organising club events and occasional coaching. There aren't many youngsters who come into shooting unless with parental persuasion, so its important to encourage them and ensure they don't get bored.
A couple have even taken their skills with them into the forces. They return on leave to upset the results of club competitions!

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi Jim
I have air arms s 510 177 ,Ripley XL9,old webley with interchangeable barrel 22/177.
Made a night vision out on sony nightshot and night hunter 500IR
shoot rabbits mainly
Paul

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I always shot .177 in my air rifle hunting days. A Weihrauch HW35 with Bushnell 4x32 scope.
I always favoured the flatter trajectory over .22.

The bunnies never knew the difference!

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I have a Weihrauch .22 bought it last year for shooting the pigeons, haven't used a tin of pellets yet - lovely rifle and do not miss much with it, shame i don't get to use it more often :(

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I always shot .177 in my air rifle hunting days. A Weihrauch HW35 with Bushnell 4x32 scope.
I always favoured the flatter trajectory over .22.

The bunnies never knew the difference!
That was my last air rifle, but with a single point sight. I haven't shot one for about 20 years, it's all shotguns round here now.
Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back