Free Member
May 15, 2015
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one
Exp
We are taking our first adventure by motorhome in Scotland this August
We are novices so any hints n tips welcome.

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
First hint - go out tomorrow! I'm stuck waiting for the MH to be registered and it's killing me seeing it sat on the drive! Any reasons why you're waiting?

In terms of Scotland, West coast and follow your nose. Don't plan anything (seeing as you can find a spot that you like and plot up). If you get the chance get a special ferry ticket (hopscotch I believe its called) to the outer Hebrides. Amazing scenery and food to die for. Scallops the size of hockey balls and lovely hospitality. They just seem to have a thing about serving all food with over boiled veg.

Don't stock up with food if you do island hop - plenty of coops on the island with brilliant fresh produce. The locals really don't like people in MH's stockpiling with food bought from a Tesco on mainland Scotland then no money being spent on the island. Oh - and please make sure you tidy up after you if you're wild camping, I had some run ins with people that thought it was acceptable to throw their bottles and crap on a fire and leave it there when they left.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

Irene B

Free Member
May 15, 2015
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one
Exp
We have decided to hire before we buy hence our August slot.
We hate litter louts so no danger we will leave any behind.
We've lots of info re wild camping so have to get reading I suppose.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi and welcome Irene(y) Your gonna love Scotland, just remember if your going to the west coast you are going to get swarms of biting gnats:eek:

Upvote 0

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Skin so soft - by Avon deals with the gnats. Approved by the British armed forces (y)

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Make sure you have a length of hose to reach taps and every kind go size and type of tap connector you can think of. Also take enough tins of veg and meat and potatoes that in an emergency you can make a one pot meal but font go overboard with supplies.

Unsure you have a half decent first aid kit with painkillers plasters etc and some bandages. Pills to make you go and pills to make you stop are a good idea.

A smartphone can be a lifesaver if you have a signal and can get you all sorts of information. For example it found me a dentist in France today and gave me directions to walk there and a phone number too. Bloody glad I had it.

Upvote 0

Noa

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
VW Beach
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Irene, if you want any pointers for places to visit give me a shout. Used to live on the west coast so know lots of lovely spots and overnight ones too. August will be midgie, best advice is find an open spot for the evening, cliff tops etc as they can't fly in the wind. Personally Avon skin so soft does nothing for me, Smidge on the other hand is fantastic. You can get in any outdoor shop up here.

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Skin so soft - by Avon deals with the gnats. Approved by the British armed forces (y)
Smidge - approved by me :D
Personally Avon skin so soft does nothing for me, Smidge on the other hand is fantastic. You can get in any outdoor shop up here.
..... and @Noa too apparently!

Another vote for the west coast.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Avon skin so soft is an urban legend.. you need DEET to repel mossies and midges ..

when it's bad cover up , tie clothing at wrists and ankles and use a full head net.. most Highland gift and sport type shops stock

better still, buy on-line before you leave home..
Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Another vote for Smidge. It was recommended to me by my brother who lives on the West Coast and does a lot of outdoorsy stuff. Things with DEET in them also work well but the stuff melts plastic which Smidge doesn't. It also works on Spanish flies I am discovering.

Headnet also invaluable if you are really being attacked. The Highlander brand are good and foldss up very compactly.

OI000413.jpg

Don't forget the East Coast. I had only really ever gone to the west side but then went on a little rally on the east coast and was very pleasantly surprised. It lacks the dramatic mountains but there are good places to visit. You can park on the harbour wall at Cruden Bay for a nominal charge - but arrive early as it could be full at that time of year. The views over the beach are delightful and there is free sea trout fishing!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We go up once or twice a year. West Coast nicer than East coast, warmer but wetter. Skye is great, so is the journey up there. Do not go all the way up the side of Loch Lomond, after Tarbet the road is very narrow, go via the Rest and be Thankful road towards Inverary. On the East coast you can always see dolphins at Rosemarkie and there is a great pub, Anderson's Hotel, in Fortrose.

I could go on and on but one last thing, it's a long way to Thurso and there isn't really much at John O'Groats. Oh, and do use the local shop wherever you are, if you don't it may not be there the next time you go.

Reactions: DBK
Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
there isn't really much at John O'Groats
- except the foot-ferry to Orkney, well worth a day trip/ coach tour if you have the time.

If you're into mountains - well, a whole other ball game!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back