Any advice re buying used B544? (1 Viewer)

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Hiya peoples,
Took our much loved 2006 Hymer Classic 514 to Travelworld yesterday to get them to re-repair main roof light [they had made a slight leak worse sadly, and admitted they should have resealed whole unit last time - which to be frank I thought they HAD done- but they were very nice about it, admitted it and seemed agreeable about price negotiation for repair] and so we VERY foolishly looked round....
Found almost perfect for us B544, 2014, bigger engine than ours [which was VERY slow up hills in Italy this year - well it was Italy so very slow everywhere] Lots of good points- NOT euro 6 tho - Euro 5. Manual - which we like ; Weight 3700 we both have C1 so ok.. only 0.5m longer than ours.
But we would really appreciate advice on pricing as dealer 'phoned a friend' who quoted offer of 15k for our van when Hymer dealer had said it might be worth up to 20k , we thought 17-18k [ we think 15 k as part ex is low- but we love current van so? biased]
Old Van=It has done 46k miles- well maintained [apart from roof light issue] needs new paint on bonnet but otherwise reasonable condition- new cam belt last year.
New Van -B544 has a few bits that need fixing- and we said a new cambelt needed - they have said they will fix all the things we noticed plus cambelt ; and have offered us a 2.5 k reduction on list price plus our PX.
This brings us to a v tight budget considering we were planning a new van in 2 years ..can we ask for more discount? or a bike rack fitted to be included in price? Or is this being mean?
Can we ask them to take it to weigh bridge [As Uncle Jim says this is a must] and also NOT pay balance until final inspection if we go ahead [they want money 2 days before we collect it, but my experience is that once they have the money people [builders -not nice Hymer salesman] unwilling to fix any omissions .
Downsides:
It costs more to insure and take on ferry.
Minor - Table inside is huge possibly ? too big - does anyone know if there is a hinged one ? and costings for this. Our silver screen wont fit it and they are dear [moths fly out of purse]- can we keep the one we have currently to sell it?

Queries ...Does anyone know about replacement windscreen cover as I hear class As are a fortune? Also they said the new leak in current Hymer has made the wood in the sills wet? I thought Hymers had no wood in build- advice re Travelworld in general much appreciated .

Many many thanks in advance

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yours should be worth more than 15 grand if it's in good condition, you will get 20 ish for it
Sell it private on here and then make an offer for theirs, you will be 10 grand ish up, 5 up on the private sale and then your offer on theirs.

OP
OP
Kirsten

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you - yes we thought of that - but we need it fixed as the roof light is in bits and currently no g/tee it will be fixed xx

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Thank you - yes we thought of that - but we need it fixed as the roof light is in bits and currently no g/tee it will be fixed xx

That's not a hard job an hour or so for them, after all they cocked up on it and you can't deal them properly without taking it off completely
They did a bodge, admitted it so should now do it properly for nothing, you have had to take it back twice now.
Tell them you are seriously interested and will sell yours first though and you have a buyer lined up but need the roof light fixing properly first.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why are you paying for a repair on your current MH that they messed up? They should be doing it properly FOC and compensating you for any damage it's cause of effect it 'might' have on its value.

Don't jump at the first 544 you see as this is a very popular layout so there are a fair few around.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Travelworld not known for generosity on price normally everything thing there is top dollar.
Your current van has a wood floor & internal walls are vinyl covered ply.

Wood in the sills total BS to give you a lower px price. If they come up with crap like that after their own repair failed I would run not walk away.

The newer 544 I think has GRP floor but still has the ply walks only the newer ranges have the aluminium internal walls.

I would tread very carefully with TW as I think the deal will cost you well over the odds.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We are on our second B544 and love it, a 2016 which we have had from new , everthing works perfectly, is perfectly dry and the bonus is the space inside for a 6.5m van, loads of room to get your feet up on a bad day or seat eight when entertaining.
Ours is the 150hp auto with plenty of pull even with car in tow.
Highly recommend the model but cant help on prices.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
PS to post #7 we insure with Safeguard which gives adequate windscreen cover, not the cheapest but include continental and rescue cover.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
The B544 at travel world indicates a deposit has been taken

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
The B544 you’re looking at is identical to ours, same year, same engine and we love it. The only problem we have is that everything else we look at, if we were to change, seams a compromise now.
We removed the table top, very simple, just a few wood screws, and cut a piece of 15mm MDF to just slightly larger than the size of the mount, this was then covered in vinyl table cloth material from a French market, stapled underneath to hold it position. We did this as a temporary measure but it’s still there after four years, albeit with a new cover.
I can’t believe the offer they made for PX of your current van, it’s insulting and seams a bit ‘shady practice’, even your expectation of 17-18k feels a bit low, unless it’s a right shed. I’d wager they would add 10k to that price when it hits the forecourt. I’d think about a private sale rather than PX.
B544’s are priced a little higher than other models because they are sought after and there aren’t many about, we know because owning one we always look. It took us over a year to find ours and haggle as hard as I did, we paid the asking price.
Make sure they do the ‘cambelt’ as FIAT advise. We’ve just had ours done at 19000 miles and FIAT insisted it had the full kit, all belts, new pulleys and a new water pump. The genuine FIAT kit is nearly £400 plus VAT and fitting. I’d want documentary proof of this.
The B544 is easy to live in, having plenty of day space with several options of seating.
We added rear air assist as you will find the rear axle is always near the max of 2000kg.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The B544 you’re looking at is identical to ours, same year, same engine and we love it. The only problem we have is that everything else we look at, if we were to change, seams a compromise now.
We removed the table top, very simple, just a few wood screws, and cut a piece of 15mm MDF to just slightly larger than the size of the mount, this was then covered in vinyl table cloth material from a French market, stapled underneath to hold it position. We did this as a temporary measure but it’s still there after four years, albeit with a new cover.
I can’t believe the offer they made for PX of your current van, it’s insulting and seams a bit ‘shady practice’, even your expectation of 17-18k feels a bit low, unless it’s a right shed. I’d wager they would add 10k to that price when it hits the forecourt. I’d think about a private sale rather than PX.
B544’s are priced a little higher than other models because they are sought after and there aren’t many about, we know because owning one we always look. It took us over a year to find ours and haggle as hard as I did, we paid the asking price.
Make sure they do the ‘cambelt’ as FIAT advise. We’ve just had ours done at 19000 miles and FIAT insisted it had the full kit, all belts, new pulleys and a new water pump. The genuine FIAT kit is nearly £400 plus VAT and fitting. I’d want documentary proof of this.
The B544 is easy to live in, having plenty of day space with several options of seating.
We added rear air assist as you will find the rear axle is always near the max of 2000kg.

We were lucky when we bought ours from Becks, it had been fitted with the circular expanding table so in its closed form doesn’t take up too much space.

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
I worked as a Motorhome Technician for TravelWorld for 14 months @ Telford.
Generally a very nice Family Owned Company to work for.
They do spend lots on training and use the proper parts, sealants etc
I now work self-employed as it was 62 miles from My home. Great experience there fitting TV Aerials, Awnings, BBQ points, satellite Systems, Rear View Cameras, Hab Checks, damp checks, driving, PDi's, warranty work etc on a daily basis. Nice bunch of people.
They are now at Stafford at a Super Site but I haven't been there so can't comment further.

OP
OP
Kirsten

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you all for help ! we were planning a new van in 2 years but this will be It .. 2 years early. We have been looking for a while as our current van is ideal and much loved -apart from the underpowered engine and the fact we no longer need as many belted seats as grandchildren are growing too mature to be seen at Legoland with us :cry: [why? drat them ]
If we buy this one we will keep it until they make an electric motorhome with an eco battery - ie forever.
Have not seen one before now that was not too old or too new/expensive...
Van we own is not a shed- it is in vgc apart from the bonnet which I painted with hammerite in fit of anguish as it had paint peeling off and I thought that would do until we decided on permanent fix ie wrap or respray ...interior re upholstered and all in very good condition inside[er apart from a temporary problem with the main rooflight. ]Full service history etc..

We have decided to go back tomorrow re look at it ;get details we need to get insurance quote - try to bargain a bit and see how we go on.

Comments much appreciated as ever... who knows maybe one day I will be able to make an informed reply that helps . Fingers crossed xxx K

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thank you all for help ! we were planning a new van in 2 years but this will be It .. 2 years early. We have been looking for a while as our current van is ideal and much loved -apart from the underpowered engine and the fact we no longer need as many belted seats as grandchildren are growing too mature to be seen at Legoland with us :cry: [why? drat them ]
If we buy this one we will keep it until they make an electric motorhome with an eco battery - ie forever.
Have not seen one before now that was not too old or too new/expensive...
Van we own is not a shed- it is in vgc apart from the bonnet which I painted with hammerite in fit of anguish as it had paint peeling off and I thought that would do until we decided on permanent fix ie wrap or respray ...interior re upholstered and all in very good condition inside[er apart from a temporary problem with the main rooflight. ]Full service history etc..

We have decided to go back tomorrow re look at it ;get details we need to get insurance quote - try to bargain a bit and see how we go on.

Comments much appreciated as ever... who knows maybe one day I will be able to make an informed reply that helps . Fingers crossed xxx K
Have a good read of the Buyers Guide before you go back so you don't miss anything.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Our 2011 B544 3litre, 35k miles was up for sale for £45k.
Yes change the big table, layout was perfect for us. Loved the vehicle.

OP
OP
Kirsten

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
The deed is done. Thank you ( and Jim’s guide) for the help. Now just got to adjust to loss of beloved old van full of happy memories, stop worrying about new van being bigger posher ( what if it gets Scratched or stuck on a twisty road) and the justification of spending the money - always an issue with me....... can you tell I don’t embrace change easily folks?? But a week after we have picked it up I will be in higher spirits x

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Well done. If our experience is anything to go by you won’t regret it. We’ve had ours for just over four years now. In our previous motorhome three weeks was enough, in this we’ve had a nine week stretch and didn’t want to come home. We spent about three and half months, altogether, away in it last year, mainly in France, so easy to live in.
As said above, the only problem we have is what we would swap for if we ever wanted a newer one, not likely to swap though.
Happy Holidays.

OP
OP
Kirsten

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Do did you get a much better deal?
We didn’t get more for our van ( outrageous in my opinion) but did get a further reduction on new one. Salesman v nice and van in vgc so we did not do badly. New van well stocked with extras ( upgraded chairs etc) and so more expensive than we wanted really... but we have been half looking for ages ... hate haggling , don’t ‘do’ money and just as well as we now have none left! Xx

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
We didn’t get more for our van
It’s ‘the price to change’ that counts, not what they put on paper and if you’re happy with what you have to pay then it matters not what they put as the PX price or the sale price.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Congratulations on the new 544 (y)
Can I ask what engine was in the old van that you found underpowered ?

OP
OP
Kirsten

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Hi- it is a 2000 cc engine on the log book thingy but only 90 bhp one. [Cant find that on our paperwork but pretty sure it is correct - no real idea what it means but new van has more horses - sadly this adds to the weight both real, and in terms of stress :) ] She was fine on the flat - ran nicely at 60 - got up to 70 plus at times of excitement. But driving in Italian roads which all seemed to be almost vertical was quite a trial.24-26 mpg. missing her already may start weeping...

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Two litre 90 bhp does sound underpowered especially if it's an A class. My 2.8 jtd doesn't like hills much but using the gears it gets there without too many dramas.
I'm sure you'll be very happy with the new 544.
Hope to see the photos when you collect it.

OP
OP
Kirsten

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
no, old van was not an a class, here she is resting after a long haul in Italy xx
IMG_0166.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back